Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I take this offer? (Seattle viewer missing ABC)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bitsercat

Bitsercat

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

I am moving to Direct on Friday, Dish is making me a great offer. I was leaving due to channel 4 ABC has been taken away. My first question is do you think Dish will be putting ABC back on in the Seattle area or are they just trying to keep me and have no intentions of getting it back. Second question is they are offering me HD and my current America Everything for a very reasonable price. I have a 500 Dish Satelite, do I need something else to get HD? Dish is offering me this deal for a year with no contract. I have been with them for over 10 years. Would any of you switch to Direct under these offers. What do I need to make sure I am getting a good HD DVR. I now have 3 DVRs and the HD receiver would only be replaced on one TV. What would you do?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

I am moving to Direct on Friday...

This is the point when I quit reading. Isn't it a moot point now?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   Bitsercat

Bitsercat

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

What does that mean?

#4 OFFLINE   TheChef

TheChef

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

Here is a thought. Take the good offer from Dish and get a blasted ota antenna put up. I personally don't think KOMO is a good enough reason to switch services after 10 years.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish Network's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#5 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:05 AM

I am moving to Direct on Friday, Dish is making me a great offer. I was leaving due to channel 4 ABC has been taken away. My first question is do you think Dish will be putting ABC back on in the Seattle area or are they just trying to keep me and have no intentions of getting it back. Second question is they are offering me HD and my current America Everything for a very reasonable price. I have a 500 Dish Satelite, do I need something else to get HD? Dish is offering me this deal for a year with no contract. I have been with them for over 10 years. Would any of you switch to Direct under these offers. What do I need to make sure I am getting a good HD DVR. I now have 3 DVRs and the HD receiver would only be replaced on one TV. What would you do?

I think Dish wants to provide this channel but, I think it will be a while before any of the fisher channels come back. You will need a dish upgrade to get HD service. As for if they are offering you a good deal well, you will need to tell us what the deal is before we can tell you if it is a good one. But, just remember the next CSR might not know about the last deal you were offered.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#6 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:39 AM

This is the point when I quit reading. Isn't it a moot point now?

yeah, me too!

#7 OFFLINE   Mindhaz

Mindhaz

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:30 AM

I just moved from DirecTv to Dish last Friday after being with them for 13 years. I moved to get a basic, cheap HD package (TurboHD Bronze). Other than that, DirecTv has good programming and service.

Some things I've noticed so far:
The 30 sec skip is way cool.
The RF remotes have much better range (all of my stuff is in the closet).
The OTA tuner in the 722 and 612 pick up channels better.
The guide allows for more programming info on the screen.
I get PIP on the 722.
Space on the 722 is better than HR-2X.
More HD HBO and Cinemax
Cabling was simpler with only 1 going to each box. D* has this now with SWM, but I didn't have it. It allowed me to backfeed the RF out to my closet on the 722. I'm not using it yet, but I'm planning on hooking up the old TV Tuner on my PC.

Some things I'm missing:
The PQ on my Pioneer Plasma is not as sharp on some channels.
Excluding 30 second skip... I like the way DirecTvs DVR is controlled better. I may be missing some shortcuts or I could be a victim of habit. I like the hit record twice in the guide to record and dash twice to delete.
1 HD Showtime? One less thing to pay for I guess.

I'm not sure where you live or how far the locals are, but my OTA works perfectly. I'm about 35 miles away from the Nashville stations. I have a small Terk HDTVs with a booster. I set this up initially to get the Tornado warnings during rain fade.

I am glad Dish draws a hard line on price negotiation with providers. The more they pay, the more I pay.

Hope this helps.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

Based on what little I know about DirecTV, it appears Dish has an advantage in its DVR equipment and in package prices (after the "signing bonuses" run out).

But no ABC would represent a huge negative for us based on our viewer patterns. Assuming you can't get OTA KOMO digital from an antenna into a ViP DVR (if you can, you can record it), then it is a tough choice. I don't suppose you would want to take the Dish deal and get a minimal package from Direct or cable?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   Raymie

Raymie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Fisher is tangled now. The nets are all caught up in lawsuits and money wars.

It'll be a while.

Raymie | Proprietor, EKB News Monitor
Keep current with the News Monitor | Uplink Report Highlights, Recap of the Recap, and more
New: Retransmission consent disputes noticeboard

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

Some things I've noticed so far:
The 30 sec skip is way cool.

BTW, D*'s receivers have a 30 second skip, just need to do a keyword search for 30skip to enable it, 30slip puts it back.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#11 OFFLINE   cweave02

cweave02

W4SKO

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

A "Moot point" is when the original issue has been resolved and the answer will not make any difference. ((Usually used in the context of Moot Court - where baby lawyers learn to argue cases in law school without any clients being harmed in the process.))

What the comment meant here, I think, is that if you are already moving to D* on Friday, you presumably have already signed a commitment, so why ask the question now?
HR21-100, Samsung HLT-5076S (HDMI)
HR21-100, Samsung LN-S4096
H20-700 (x2 in Virginia)

Go TRIBE!

#12 OFFLINE   cweave02

cweave02

W4SKO

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

The 30 second skip button is the one right above the fast forward that has an arrow then a vertical bar.
HR21-100, Samsung HLT-5076S (HDMI)
HR21-100, Samsung LN-S4096
H20-700 (x2 in Virginia)

Go TRIBE!

#13 OFFLINE   Shellback X 23

Shellback X 23

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

The OP lives in Port Angeles, way to far from Seattle to get even analog OTA let alone digital. Nearest other big city is Victoria but that's in Canada. Don't think they have ABC.
Shellback X-23
Wandering America's back roads with a RV waiver
Currently Located at: On the Road Again

spam firewall