Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ATSC rf modulator

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

does an rf modulator exist that can output an atsc signal?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

Not at the consumer level.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

There's no reason why such a thing couldn't be done, and truth is it wouldn't be that expensive, but there seems to be insufficient demand.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

There's no reason why such a thing couldn't be done

The reason it isn't done is because there would be no copy protection, and the content providers aren't about to allow people to have the ability to broadcast non-copy-protected content in digital HD.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:45 PM

My apologies, I meant no technical reason; you're right that such a device could be used to strip copy protection.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

There's no reason why such a thing couldn't be done, and truth is it wouldn't be that expensive, but there seems to be insufficient demand.

I would be willing to bet that it is much more complicated than you suggest.

In a majority of cases, you don't have access to an MPEG2 stream so you would need some way of making one. Back when DISH Network offered an internal ATSC modulator add-on for one of their HD receivers, the content was all MPEG2. That is no longer the case for HD content from satellite (nor most people's computer files). While some form of MPEG4 has been adopted into the ATSC standards, I'm guessing that fiew (if any) existing tuners support it.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

Look for ZV devices. $500 is not that much for desperate demand.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

I would be willing to bet that it is much more complicated than you suggest.

In a majority of cases, you don't have access to an MPEG2 stream so you would need some way of making one. Back when DISH Network offered an internal ATSC modulator add-on for one of their HD receivers, the content was all MPEG2. That is no longer the case for HD content from satellite (nor most people's computer files). While some form of MPEG4 has been adopted into the ATSC standards, I'm guessing that fiew (if any) existing tuners support it.

Seems to me Slingboxes do on-the-fly encoding and compression, right? I'm consistently what they can do as a $99 appliance.

#9 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

A ZeeVee box is the closest thing I've read about but at 500$ + requires a pretty good computer and still only currently supports 720p it's pretty limited especially since getting the HD content into the computer would also be a problem. Someday we might see a device with component inputs and atsc outputs but nothing like that at the consumer level currently.

#10 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

A ZeeVee box is the closest thing I've read about but at 500$ + requires a pretty good computer and still only currently supports 720p it's pretty limited especially since getting the HD content into the computer would also be a problem. Someday we might see a device with component inputs and atsc outputs but nothing like that at the consumer level currently.

if you used an hd fury could you feed directv hd into the device and feed it into s atsc tuner on your computer for the purpose of recording digital copies of shows and ppv movies?

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:11 PM

Why not, but it would be unnecessary digital-to-analog conversion and back to digital.
Actually OP did ask other question.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:20 AM

Seems to me Slingboxes do on-the-fly encoding and compression, right? I'm consistently what they can do as a $99 appliance.

The problem with slingboxes is that they need slingcatchers to drive all of the other TVs. They also don't produce an MPEG2 output that would ultimately be required for modulation.

spam firewall