Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

24 Hours and very happy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tarooka

tarooka

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

Yesterday my system went "online" and I couldn't be happier. I switched from Comcast due to rising expenses and spotty HD quality.

I was pleasantly surprised to find my HD reception noticibly better; the picture seems much sharper. I am not sure if, I was penalized by the the older cable runs, tired DVR or what, but I am happy.

Tried to shut off cable, but Comcast wanted to raise my high speed internet from $43 to $59. However, if I retained Basic cable the price would be $54 for both. I will eventaully switch to AT&T DSL for $35.

I think when all of the teaser rates disappear I will still be saving around $40 a month.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

Welcome aboard and enjoy!

I've had D* since 1994 and have been very, very pleased. They ain't perfect, but in the balance, do rather nicely.

Lots of development going on with new features and new products. [Mod note: somethings can't be discussed in open forums...]

Edited by Tom Robertson, 24 February 2009 - 09:58 PM.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

Yesterday my system went "online" and I couldn't be happier. I switched from Comcast due to rising expenses and spotty HD quality.

I was pleasantly surprised to find my HD reception noticibly better; the picture seems much sharper. I am not sure if, I was penalized by the the older cable runs, tired DVR or what, but I am happy.

Tried to shut off cable, but Comcast wanted to raise my high speed internet from $43 to $59. However, if I retained Basic cable the price would be $54 for both. I will eventaully switch to AT&T DSL for $35.

I think when all of the teaser rates disappear I will still be saving around $40 a month.

:welcome_s to DBSTalk and to DirecTv, I've been with them 'since 2000 they're great!
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

Welcome! tarooka .. I've been Comcast free since '03 .. and I've got no intention of going back :) DSL works just fine for me and I really hated the "gotta keep cable" penalty they charge for their Internet .. not to mention that their Acceptable Use Policy didn't fit my use model.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

untill you change, At least with the basic cable, You could use it for picture in picture and most likely you will get a greater number of your (real Local) channels as in more than D* will spot beam at you.

Welcome to D* ,I just got comcrap HSI (blast) interent only (250gig FAP a month) and the HDdvrs are burring up the internet with VOD, untill they FAP me :)

I'm not complaining about comcast, right now I'm damn happy to have it, just got off Hughes (only hSI-(SAME AS) dial-up (Satelite) that was around --NO DOWNLOADING FOR YOU!!! 139mb per 24hrs exced that and your internet is cutoff for 24hrs. :mad:

#6 OFFLINE   Matman

Matman

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:09 PM

Welcome! Comcast Free since 2007, couldn't be happier! Once you get used to the D* DVR's, when you go to a friends with cable, you will feel like you went back in time 20 years!!!
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci

#7 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

Welcome tarooka! :welcome_s

I lived on Alameda for a few months. Loved it, tho the lots are too small. :)

I hope you thoroughly enjoy the DIRECTV experience and even more so the DBStalk experience. Keep coming, we're here to help and have fun.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

spam firewall