Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Please help me choose.....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   OldAnalogGuy

OldAnalogGuy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

I currently have a 211 in my man-cave, need an HD DVR in the house.

Currently have a 501(?), which works fine, but not HD. Wife wants to watch one channel and record another plus feed the other three (3) SD TVs with the same program she is watching on the HD set. A similiar arrangement as we have now with the 501 with a modulated signal on CH. 3.

What receiver would be the best choice to accomplish this:

A 612? A 622? A 722? or wait for a 922?

I think buying this outright would be the best for me, I hate commitments, so, for you patient and understanding guys, do I buy from one of the vendors that advertize here, or pay a little more and buy from dish direct?

Your input is greatly appreciated. I repeat, greatly. Thanks.

-dave-
Medford, Oregon

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

Any of them will work just like your 510 does, with the addition of a second sat tuner.

The 622/722 adds the option of switching to Dual Mode, allowing a different channel to be viewed on the secondary TVs (the 3 connected TVs would all see the same thing), for times when that's handy. It also adds PiP capabilities when in Single Mode.

#3 OFFLINE   OldAnalogGuy

OldAnalogGuy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

Thank you very much Mr. IIP, for that quick, concise response.

You just told me what two Dish reps and a local installer could not.

THANK YOU!

#4 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:03 AM

At the moment I would recommend a 722. I don't have a 612 but my understanding is that it is like the 622/722 except it supports only one TV. As described above, the 622/722 can run in Single mode or Dual mode. Think of single mode as a single DVR with two sat tuners and an OTA tuner all available from one TV with PiP. Think of Dual mode as two single tuner DVRs with support for HD on the primary TV and SD on multiple secondary TVs, but with independent programming between TV1 and TV2. In Dual mode there is no PiP and the OTA tuner is available only to TV1. Recorded programs are shared between the TVs. The 612 does not have PiP.

The 722 is black instead of silver and has a larger hard drive. Soon to be released is the 722k which will have an additional OTA tuner. The 922 will contain Sling support but I believe it won't be available until sometime well after the 722k.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#5 OFFLINE   OldAnalogGuy

OldAnalogGuy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:56 PM

Thanks, Chuck for the great explaination/comparison of the different models.

I'll take your advise and order-up a 722, sounds like the best choice.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge.

-dave-
Medford, Oregon

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

I would agree with ChuckA. 722 is your best choice right now in terms of DVRs on the Dish side. You also might find the dual mode handy at times given you are feeding 3 other SD TVs.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#7 OFFLINE   southsound

southsound

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

I run a similar setup with a 722 and have been very happy. I have the unit set for single mode as there are just two of us and we almost always watch the same thing. The 722 sits in our home theater driving our PJ with the component output. A MonoPrice 50' HDMI goes to our great room where it drives a Panny 50" plasma. Both the great room and theater AVR's are non-HDMI so we run the Toslink optical through an INDAY Toslink distribution amp with a 3' Tolslink feeding the theater and a 50' MonoPrice Toslink feeding the great room AVR.

We use the 722's RF out to drive an SD LCD on top of the fridge in the kitchen, an SD CRT in the theater for when we are excercising (not used too much, sigh), and an Encore external tuner that drives a widescreen LCD in our office.

The 722 is not without its own faults - audio dropouts on our NBC local (over satellite) and an ocassional lockup - but it does a great job for our needs. I just added a 1TB WD Elements drive as an EHD and things just purr.

#8 OFFLINE   OldAnalogGuy

OldAnalogGuy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

Mr. Barry, thanks for passing on your agreement on the choice of the 722, that just makes me more confident of the selection.

Mr. southsound, it appears as if the 722 is doing a very good job for you, too. You have a wonderful setup & thanks for sharing with me.

Now that I've decided on the 722, I just have to decide if I want to buy it outright from an internet supplier and attempt to install it my self or buy it and have dish send out a tech for US$60 ? I guess that I could give it a try and if it wasn't working, I could summon the techie(s).

It appears that the only wiring I would need is to split the sat in cable into two in order to feed the two receivers. The wiring already exists to feed the other SD sets.

I just might give it a whirl. :)

Thanks again to all that have taken the time to help. It is appreciated. :)

#9 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

If you can lease it do it. If you can't (more than 4 tuners) than I suggest eBay. I have 2 612s and a 722. The 722 is great for sports because of the PiP function and DLB (in single mode). The 612 is a single tuner but works great. It doesn't have PiP or DLB but it does record 2 shows at once 3 if ones OTA. There really is no advantage in owning it except for just that owning it. I had to buy a 612 last week because Dish didn't have anymore 612s to lease and a 722 would be over the 4 tuner limit.If you went the route to buy it outright and install a new dish it would probably cost you at least 300-400 dollars. Where as if you lease it through Dish you will save a bundle.

#10 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

Just to be clear with Brandon's post 612 is a single TV DVR not single tuner. The other info regarding the recording options on the 612 is correct.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#11 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

I know you said you did not want the 2 year commitment, but it will cost you a lot more to purchase your own unit than to lease it and owning your own unit does not reduce your monthly costs. These days I would not buy a receiver if I could lease one since the technology changes so fast. It's not likely (IMO) you will keep the receiver for more than a few years before you will want to update it.

As far as installing it yourself, if you are not currently getting HD you will most likely need a new dish to pick up all the HD programming (needing 129 sat I would guess at your location), or you might need an additional dish. I would sure go with the Dish installation and let them provide all the needed hardware to get your new HD programming.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#12 OFFLINE   OldAnalogGuy

OldAnalogGuy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

Mr. Brandon428, thanks for the ebay tip -- I looked briefly & found they're selling for about US$300, which is about US$140 less than Solid Signal and US$249 less than Dish. Suspect one should get a new-in-box unit from a trusted seller, yes?

I've already got more dishes than Carter has pills, I hope I don't need more! :eek2:
Posted Image

And thanks, too, Mr. Barry for clarifying the 612 post.

Sure learned a lot today! THANKS ALL! :)

#13 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

Depending on your needs it is possible you will get one swapped out. I just had a swap out because JapanTV was moving to 118. So now I have 110, 118, 119 and 129. It resulted in killing off my 148 so I went from two to one dish. Woo Hoo. :D Downside.. Dish is bigger.

#14 OFFLINE   OldAnalogGuy

OldAnalogGuy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

Oh boy, Mr. Barry, you just made my decision for me. I

If there is a remote possibility of shaving a dish, or two, my wife is all for it! I'll just have Dish send out their guys and take care of the whole thing. Plus maybe they can swap-out the switch as I have to run check-switch about once a week to recover blocks of channels.

Thanks again! :) :) :)

#15 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

Just to be clear with Brandon's post 612 is a single TV DVR not single tuner. The other info regarding the recording options on the 612 is correct.

Sorry,thanks for the correction Ron. I'm still learning the lingo:D

#16 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

No problem Brandon. that mistake happens all the time.. Really confusing lingo and it is really hard to explain given the fact you have multi TV DVR with multiple Tuners. Heck Dish even has a hard time depicting this relationship in the DVR.

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Mr. Brandon428, thanks for the ebay tip -- I looked briefly & found they're selling for about US$300, which is about US$140 less than Solid Signal and US$249 less than Dish. Suspect one should get a new-in-box unit from a trusted seller, yes?

I've already got more dishes than Carter has pills, I hope I don't need more! :eek2:
Posted Image

Nice antenna farm you've got there! But since it looks like you're getting 148, I'll assume that you're getting some International programming, and if that's the case, you need to call Dish for a free dish upgrade. They'll remove all of your current dishes and install a single 1000 PLUS dish:

Posted Image

All International will be removed from 148 and 61.5 in a couple of months, so you'll need the PLUS dish in order to get those channels from 118.7, which is a medium-powered FSS-class satellite, not a high-powered DBS-class sat, which is why you'll need the bigger dish and funky LNB. This dish picks up 110/119/118.7/129.

#18 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

Yeah.. that looks like my new Dish. :D

#19 OFFLINE   OldAnalogGuy

OldAnalogGuy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

No, I have no international, just America's 250, Showtime & HBO, HD and SD locals. (?)

I could never figure out why the fellow put up three dishes.

I know we cannot hit the 61 bird as it is at 12 degrees E which is behind a mountain, maybe that is a reason.

Well, I'm going to call Dish tomorrow and see what they can do.

Hey, wait a minute, I think that the very rear dish is a 'PLUS'. It is bigger than the others.

Posted Image

I seem to remember the installer saying that he needed more gain as the had many rain-fade problems with the smaller dishes (?) Couldn't prove it by me, we'll see what the NEXT guy sez, yes? :rolleyes:

#20 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:03 AM

That's a Dish 500. The 1000 is just a bit larger.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

spam firewall