Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Closed Captioning trouble shooting tips

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

DirecTV has been good about fixing up Closed Captioning on the HR2x DVR series. If you encounter problems, here are a couple things you can do to narrow down possibilities so that should you need to inform DirecTV, you're armed with the information they'll need if the problem is on their end.

First, if I have a captioning problem I determine the following:

1. Is the problem specific to a certain show, a certain channel, or system wide?

2. Is the problem placement (wrong location on screen), speed (captioning is too fast or too slow), or clarity (garbling of letters or sentences)?

3. Is the problem the specific font you've chosen? Try the captioning with other fonts. (You can change the captioning font under system setup.)

4. Is the problem the HR2x decoder or is it coming from the channel which is sending the CC code or could it be your local connection from DVR to TV?

This last one takes a few steps to determine. Here's what you need to do:

1. Try a different HDMI cable if connected via HDMI.

2. Try the same cable on a different TV if you have one.

3. Hook up the composite RCA cables between your DVR and your TV and see how it is sending normal captions through. (These are the cables with the two audio (white and red) and one video (yellow) leads.) Make sure to turn on your TV's closed captioning.

4. Hook up component cables (Blue/Red/Green) from the HR2x to the TV and see how the captioning is.

The results will help narrow down where the problem is:

Is it the HR2x itself, in which case you'll see it on a different TV and with a different HDMI cable?

Is it the HDMI cable, in which case a different one won't show the problem?

Is it the HDMI PORT, in which case you won't see it via composite or component cables?

Is it the code for closed captioning in which case even on RCA cables when the TV is doing the decoding there is a problem? (Again, make sure to turn CC on via your TV for that test.)

All this information will help determine who needs to know about the issue. If it's your HR2x, DirecTV should know. If it's the channel, then the network or station owner must know. If it's local to a cable, you'll have to buy a new one and the problem is local to your setup.

Good luck!
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

Capmeister... This is some GREAT info that I have no doubt will be very beneficial to many members. Thanks for posting this!! :)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

This should be added to the FAQ sticky above. Great stuff!
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   arkmich

arkmich

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

I recently upgraded to HD with an HR22 receiver. The close captions work from the receiver okay, but for some reason I can't get them to work on the TV itself without using the receiver functionality. With my previous receiver (an R15) I could use the TV itself for the close captioning, same TV as I'm using now. Is there something about the HR units or the HDMI connection that prevents the TV from using its own closed captioning features?

#5 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 700 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

I recently upgraded to HD with an HR22 receiver. The close captions work from the receiver okay, but for some reason I can't get them to work on the TV itself without using the receiver functionality. With my previous receiver (an R15) I could use the TV itself for the close captioning, same TV as I'm using now. Is there something about the HR units or the HDMI connection that prevents the TV from using its own closed captioning features?

If you view TV using different inputs other than the RF connection, the TV's decoder will not function (I think S-Video and the A/V inputs both works as well as using the RF connection). When using component or HDMI inputs, they will not work (on most TV's). I have an old Samsung 30" HDTV and when I played a DVD movie and using the component, I was surprised that the TV's closed captioning worked but I prefer using the subtitles off the DVD.

As a Deaf person myself, I love using the receiver's closed captioning function myself. I am able to change the fonts, fonts color, the banner background (changing it to tranulescent (sp?) or transparent).

I'm not good at putting down in writing to explain stuff but that's how it is.

#6 OFFLINE   kw2957

kw2957

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

I have actually not been able to get CC to work on my HR21-100 for the past couple of weeks. There's no correlation to a software update since I know it was still working after the update I received on March 4th. I'm beginning to think that this has been an issue ever since the night all of our receivers lost the guide data. Is anyone else having this problem?
My set-up:
RCA 52" HDTV D52W26; HR20-100
White-Westinghouse 21" SDTV; D10-300
Sylvania 15" SDTV; D10-300

*will eventually get better lol*

#7 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 700 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

I have actually not been able to get CC to work on my HR21-100 for the past couple of weeks. There's no correlation to a software update since I know it was still working after the update I received on March 4th. I'm beginning to think that this has been an issue ever since the night all of our receivers lost the guide data. Is anyone else having this problem?

On your remote, press the yellow button and see if that feature is "on".

#8 OFFLINE   arkmich

arkmich

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

If you view TV using different inputs other than the RF connection, the TV's decoder will not function (I think S-Video and the A/V inputs both works as well as using the RF connection). When using component or HDMI inputs, they will not work (on most TV's). I have an old Samsung 30" HDTV and when I played a DVD movie and using the component, I was surprised that the TV's closed captioning worked but I prefer using the subtitles off the DVD.

As a Deaf person myself, I love using the receiver's closed captioning function myself. I am able to change the fonts, fonts color, the banner background (changing it to tranulescent (sp?) or transparent).

I'm not good at putting down in writing to explain stuff but that's how it is.

Thanks. At least I know it's not just something I'm doing wrong. The only thing I miss though is having the captions come on automatically when I hit "mute" on the remote. I don't think the DVR has this functionality, does it?

#9 OFFLINE   MikeeLikee

MikeeLikee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

Interesting thread!

I have a standard D11-500 receiver (SD) which I got as a free upgrade from my really old RCA receiver. On my RCA receiver the captions always worked fine but when I got the D11 a little over a year ago the captions won't work until I press the "INFO" button on and then off. If I change channels, I have to repeat the "INFO" on/off routine to get the captions working again.

I have the captions turned on for the TV to do the decoding as I don't think that the RCA or even the D11 has built in caption decoding capability.

I'm pretty sure it is an issue with the receiver and not the TV as I have recently replaced my old analog TV with an HD one. Same problem persists on the new TV. However now my captions are too high on the screen of my new TV. It is about four text lines up from the bottom of the screen. I have set my font size to the smallest so the captions will appear just below the center of the screen.

MikeeLikee

#10 OFFLINE   kw2957

kw2957

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

On your remote, press the yellow button and see if that feature is "on".

I appreciate you trying to help, but I find that post insulting. Don't you think that I know how to enable closed captioning if I'm asking why it isn't working on my receiver? :rolleyes:
My set-up:
RCA 52" HDTV D52W26; HR20-100
White-Westinghouse 21" SDTV; D10-300
Sylvania 15" SDTV; D10-300

*will eventually get better lol*

spam firewall