Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Update on Jackson, MS new FOX Station

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 08:47 PM

I have just found out some interesting information. A little over a year ago, WNTZ FOX48 announced that they would build a new broadcasting tower and move their operations from Alexandria, LA to Jackson, MS. According to FCC applications on file, the tower was to be located roughly 5 miles SSE of Port Gibson, MS blaring out a 5 million watt signal with a directional antenna to focus a lot of those watts on the Jackson area. Supposedly, WNTZ would start serving Jackson, MS (probably the largest market without a FOX affiliate since September 2001) this summer. :confused:

Well, I just got some very interesting information from the new owners of the WB and UPN stations. Jackson Television, LLC bought out WDBD-TV and WXMS-LP from Pegasus Television earlier this year. Apparently, the new owners are busy on a project. According to the website for these two stations:

http://www.gomiss.com/

FOX is coming to Jackson soon. Needless to say, I was curious. After emailing the Senior Station Engineer, I found out the following:

Jackson Television bought a construction permit from KB Prime Media (which Pegasus had exclusive rights to) to build a tower for channel 35 in Edwards (halfway between Jackson and Vicksburg) to broadcast 5 million watts. Pegasus HAD planned to build the tower and broadcast a full power signal for WXMS, the UPN affiliate starting in 2002. Apparently, they backed out of this, probably because UPN wasn't getting enough audience to justify the increase in power.

The new company is in the process of building the tower now. Once it is built and tested, it will become Jackson's FOX 35 instead. :)

I have no information on call letters or an expected launch date, but it sounds like they are trying to get the station active as quickly as possible. I have sent an email asking for more detail, so there may be more information coming soon. :icon_cool

The sale was announced in April and money exchanged hands in May, so they may have been working on the tower for a couple of months now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 08:52 PM

For those of us on D* in Jackson, I wonder when they will remap FOX to channel 35 from 48, given this development.

#3 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 10:31 PM

I saw the sale notice on WDBD a few months ago. When I saw they'd also bought the 35 license, I figured Fox would be on it. Thanks for confirming it, gor88.

#4 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 09:04 PM

In Late 2001 and early 2002 I was down in Jackson, Ms and remember watching Fox where I was staying. From what I gathered at that time the Local Cable Company for Jackson wasn't allowed to carry the Local Fox station 8 at that time but instead carried Fox directly from the Network meaning No Local News for Fox in Jackson, Ms. Just Regular Fox Programming and other content during the day when no national programming like primetime stuff was being showed. I don't even think Fox 8 is on the air anymore in Jackson and now ya'll are talking about a Fox 35? Hmmmm This is interesting :)

#5 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 01:23 AM

I think you're mistaken, the closest Fox 8 is in New Orleans, Fox Jackson was 40. In late 2001, 40 dropped Fox for WB, so all the local cable companies had to add the national Fox feed. It had nothing to do with contracts, cable still carried 40, but it had become WB. BTW, 40 didn't show local news anyway, I remember they did try it once in the early '90s but it didn't last.

#6 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 03:27 PM

The mystery of what happened with this FOX switch has been solved.

In looking at all FCC documents relating to the Construction Permit for Channel 35 licensed to Vicksburg, I found a document called Attributable Broadcasting Interests (in plain English, it states what other tv stations the new entity partially or completely owns).

It turns out that Sheldon H. Galloway owns 30% of Mississippi Television, LLC (aka Jackson Television, LLC) and has 100% voting control. This is the company that bought the permit, WDBD and WXMS. White Knight Broadcasting is 100% owned by Sheldon as well. White Knight owns about a dozen stations in TX and LA, including WNTZ FOX48 in Natchez.

His people apparently decided that building the tower in Edwards would be better than moving WNTZ, which makes good sense. I wonder when they plan to cancel their construction permit for the tower location near Port Gibson.

#7 OFFLINE   torre64

torre64

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 10:27 PM

How is Jackson getting a Fox station a good thing. That means we lose the NY/LA feeds I am sure. Only advantage is if you are a Saints fan but NFL Sunday Ticket has that covered.

#8 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:40 AM

I like the Saints, but I'm not going to pay $200 to see them every year! The best thing to do would be to apply for waivers before this new station comes on. I got NY/LA even when 40 was still Fox, so maybe this new station won't affect waivers.

#9 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:42 AM

According to the local newspaper, the new FOX35 station will have the call letters WFXZ and will be online in mid-September

http://www.clarionle...07/25/ma02.html

#10 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:52 AM

Now the question is:

Will D* and E* make sure to work out the retransmission agreement with Jackson Television before WFXZ goes on air to ensure a smooth transition from FoxNet(D*) and Fox Atlanta(E*)?

#11 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 09:23 AM

I don't think D* will have much trouble then, since they always have had both WDBD and WXMS. I doubt E* will either, since they've finally started transmitting WDBD, maybe the other two aren't far behind.

#12 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:19 AM

Apparently, Jackson Television LLC applied for new call letters or the FCC is changing them. The FCC records indicate that the WFXZ call letter designation was removed. FCC records just show 961001LB. I assume that this will change in the next few days.

The new FOX station now has calls WUFX, according to the website for Jackson Television, LLC. Also, rumors have it that the station will become active on September 1.

http://www.gomiss.com/

Has anyone heard whether or not E* or D* have secured retransmission consent on the new station? Just curious.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...