Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: San Francisco-Oakland, CA

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cody21

cody21

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

Do you also get the occasional silences, pixelation and other glitches on the non-DVR as frequently as on the DVR?

The "brrrrr" happens on BOTH, as I mentioned. We really don't get much pixelation .. that seems to come and go - which I tend to blame more on the actual Broadcast or maybe work they're doing at Sutro Tower from time to time ... since when we DO experience that, it is usually a very clear day, so no other explanation for it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Woochifer

Woochifer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

For whatever reason, KPIX 5 is now showing a lot of pixelation on live sports events. This issue started during the NCAA tournament, and it got progressively worse week by week. Lots of macroblocking around the players in motion, and pixel shifting in the background. It was also noticeable when I watched the KPIX feed at a sports bar with Directv. I also have an OTA antenna hooked up for comparison, and this was not an issue originating from the TV station.

I have previous college basketball games from earlier in the season recorded on the DVR (HR22) that don't exhibit any pixelation whatsoever. Before, KPIX was one of the best local broadcast channels, and now it has to be one of the worst.

Also, beginning last weekend, I began noticing some of the same issues cropping up when watching the Stanley Cup playoffs on KNTV 11. As with KPIX, this was another station with a very clean feed until this degradation began showing up.

KGO 7 just seems to have a noisy signal, but it also looks noisy on the OTA antenna.

#23 OFFLINE   pnyberg

pnyberg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:32 AM

BRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr!

KTVU-DT (Fox) Channel 2; Came home from vacation to see that audio and video mismatched; constant audio "stutter" every 5-10 seconds. No other DMAs affected.
This is NOT an OTA signal.

HR-21/700 DVR
"If it ain't broke, maybe it ain't worth fixing"

#24 OFFLINE   AirShark

AirShark

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:20 PM

Channel(s) affected: 2 (KTVU-DT)
Date - 7/2/09

Time - 8PM - Now (10:20PM)

Description of Issue - Audio not synced and BRRRRIIIIIIPPPPPPP is so bad that it is unwatchable (Almost a constant audio stutter). No other local channels appear to be affected. Rebooting DVR does nothing. Same issue on recorded (So You Think You Can Dance) and currently on Live 10 O'Clock News.

DVR: HR20-700
Signal is received from DirecTV and is NOT OTA.

#25 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:16 AM

Channel(s) affected: 2 (KTVU-DT)
Date - 7/2/09

Time - 8PM - Now (10:20PM)

Description of Issue - Audio not synced and BRRRRIIIIIIPPPPPPP is so bad that it is unwatchable (Almost a constant audio stutter). No other local channels appear to be affected. Rebooting DVR does nothing. Same issue on recorded (So You Think You Can Dance) and currently on Live 10 O'Clock News.

DVR: HR20-700
Signal is received from DirecTV and is NOT OTA.

I had the same problem on my HR20-700, via DirecTV, not OTA.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#26 OFFLINE   Woochifer

Woochifer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:10 PM

Been a few months, and it seems that the picture quality on KGO, KPIX, and KNTV remains mediocre. Still getting a lot of pixel shifting and macroblocking during live sports broadcasts.

Does anybody have any suggestions about who I should contact at Directv about this? (I'm already at my wits end about the Versus dispute, which forced me to look elsewhere to watch the Cal-Stanford game despite the fact that I pay extra for the sports package).

#27 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

Fox HD (Channel 2 KTVR) is way freaky right now .. Looks to be in the transcoding, but it could be from the source (KTVU).

Here's a video: http://www.camera3.o...ad/VID00076.MP4 (33 MB)

Edited by Doug Brott, 10 January 2010 - 08:01 PM.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   troman

troman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

On both 2 hour season premier episodes of 24, Sunday and Monday night, there was a significant glitch in video and audio that lasted for a few seconds.

The video would freeze then advance a frame or two then come back to normal. Meanwhile the audio would disappear, then I'd hear a noise burst sort of like a jackhammer, then it would come back.

I've seen threads on transcoding issues with local channels. Could this be that?

My signal's OK - I actually just had the dish replaced and signal levels are all high 80's or above.

#29 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

I saw this as well happened once or twice each night.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#30 OFFLINE   Woochifer

Woochifer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:51 AM

On both 2 hour season premier episodes of 24, Sunday and Monday night, there was a significant glitch in video and audio that lasted for a few seconds.

The video would freeze then advance a frame or two then come back to normal. Meanwhile the audio would disappear, then I'd hear a noise burst sort of like a jackhammer, then it would come back.

I've seen threads on transcoding issues with local channels. Could this be that?

My signal's OK - I actually just had the dish replaced and signal levels are all high 80's or above.

I saw that happen as well.

But, over the last couple of weeks I have noticed a huge improvement in the picture quality for the local HDs in general. The pixel shifting and macroblocking that I'd seen on the local channels since last March seems to have been resolved.

#31 OFFLINE   AztecRol

AztecRol

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBay Area, Nor Cal

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

Has anybody noticed that NBC, Ch 11, has been out all day? I woke up at
6am and it was already giving the "no need to call us message". As of this
minute, 1:30pm, its still out. Anybody know whats going on? Is this local or
across the nation??

#32 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

Local issue, KNTV is coming in fine on Comcast. Maybe something wrong with the fiber link connection.

#33 OFFLINE   AztecRol

AztecRol

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBay Area, Nor Cal

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:38 AM

Local issue, KNTV is coming in fine on Comcast. Maybe something wrong with the fiber link connection.

I dont know, but its still out as of this moment. That is a long time for
one channel to be dead. Especially since its a major network!!

Maybe I should post this in the gen disc forum??

#34 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

I don't know if this has been seen, http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html. We have enought free OTA tv to choose from.

HDR-24
HDR-34
AM-21N
ATT uverse internet

Genie Go

PGP: AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7 0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E 8C92

#35 OFFLINE   dndell

dndell

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Anyone else have heavy signal breakups on last Sunday's CBS Emmy Awards show?  I have a Genie box.  Other programming seems fine...

Edited by dndell, 25 September 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   leprechaun106317

leprechaun106317

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

Is anyone else's ABC HD feed having a weird framerate issue? Since last niight the framerate seems to be really weird and slow to where every show on here looks filmed. It is really odd.

#37 OFFLINE   SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy

EOE

• DBSTalk Club
  • 515 posts
  • LocationNear San Francisco

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

I've been seeing pixelization/picture tearing on ABC 7 (San Francisco) on and off for the last several days. it's hit/miss as to time of day -- comes and goes.  Did it during Monday nights "Castle"

Anyone else?

EDIT.... after three days of this, it looks like Ch. 7 got it's act togetjher and fixed its updoaded signal.  It's been fine today.

HS
D* user since 11/94

Protected By... spam firewall...And...