Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

which type to buy and placement

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nabisco

Nabisco

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

i was looking into the home surround sound and was wondering what are some good ones, now i dont have 600 to spend on one but what are some good ones. i was in best buy today and they had the speakers right next to the tv{ a flat panel} wont that mess with the picture.

now when i place the speakers i was wanting two up front and two in the back, and the woffer behind the sofa{ it sits at a angle so the kids dont get it} now do the speakers have to be parallel? does the placement of them affect the sound?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "home surround sound". Are you looking to get speakers? A 5.1 setup? Do you already have a receiver? It'll be hard to get a quality set for under $600 (including the sub) and very hard if you need a receiver too. Although, I'm not sure how much you actually want to spend, because you only said "I don't have $600 to spend". Does that mean you have $500? $200?

To answer a couple of your questions, there are no rear speakers in a 5.1 system. There's 3 speakers up front (L/C/R) and 2 surround speakers to the side of the listening area. Generally, the subwoofer is better placed up front, but every room is different. Behind the sofa might not be accurate. And finally, yes, placement of the speakers effects the sound.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

I purchased an Onkyo system about 2 months ago, although it may be alittle more than you are wanting to spend it sounds phenominal! It also came with a mic to plug in once everything is set up to self calibrate the sound.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

OK, after reading your post a few times, it seems to me you're talking about a HTIB? You need everything? I'd say, don't do it. If you're really on a budget and want the best bang for your buck. Here's what you should do.

Buy THESE speakers for $200
Buy THIS subwoofer for $100.
Buy THIS Receiver for just over $200 (if the link no longer works, just search for avr 146 on Ebay. They're refurbished units, but they're sold on Ebay directly from Harmon Kardon. It's a very good deal and their refurbs come with full manufacturers warranty).

That will give you a 5.1 setup for just over $500 (you will have to spend $50-$100 or so on cables and speaker wire if you don't have any) and not only will it blow away any HTIB, but it will enable you to upgrade separate components over time (as you feel the need), much easier than with a HTIB.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

Very good advice, spartanstew.

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

To answer a couple of your questions, there are no rear speakers in a 5.1 system. There's 3 speakers up front (L/C/R) and 2 surround speakers to the side of the listening area...

Actually, a 5.1 surround system can use the L/R surrounds as rear/ side or rear speakers.

Here's a typical 5.1 setup:

Posted Image

Main speakers: right front, left front
Center channel: center front
Surrounds:right side/rear, left side/rear
Sub-woofer: Place almost anywhere (front, front-side or rear) low frequencies are non-directional so the direction of the sound source is not apparent.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

Actually, a 5.1 surround system can use the L/R surrounds as rear/ side or rear speakers.

Here's a typical 5.1 setup:

Posted Image

Main speakers: right front, left front
Center channel: center front
Surrounds:right side/rear, left side/rear
Sub-woofer: Place almost anywhere (front, front-side or rear) low frequencies are non-directional so the direction of the sound source is not apparent.

You can find pictures of a lot of things on the internet. Some people may place their surround speakers on the rear wall (I actually have them set up that way in my living room), but that doesn't make it correct.

HERE'S THE THX RECOMMENDATION

HERE'S AUDIOHOLICS RECOMMENDATION

HERE'S CRUTCHFIELDS RECOMMENDATION

HERE'S DOLBY'S RECOMMENDATION

All of them recommend the surrounds to the sides of the listener. And since the Dolby standard is what's used when mixing most soundtracks, I'd try and use that recommendation, if possible.

#8 OFFLINE   dpd146

dpd146

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:38 AM

i was in best buy today and they had the speakers right next to the tv{ a flat panel} wont that mess with the picture.

Everything is shielded these days so this is not really an issue. However it is not ideal for good sound.

Sounds to me like your on a budget. I went with something like this when I put in a second surround sound system in my house

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16882115124

Now George Lucas isn't going to come to your house to check out your set-up but it will provide you with good sound and keep you well within your budget.

As far as set-up, go ahead and put the sub behind your couch, no big deal. And put the surrounds where you want them. You are not building a "home theater," just a place to watch some movies, sports, etc.. so do whatever works for ya.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...