Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

March Mega Madness

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

I have always been curious about this. How well does this package do sales wise? I am asking because it seems like when 4 of it's major days are work days for most Americans, a lot of people wouldn't order it. I know some people take off, but do that many people really take off Thursday and Friday both weeks?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Fenway

Fenway

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

The second week the games are in the evening. It's only the first week that the games are on during the daytime.

I know many who take the first two days off - including me before I retired.

#3 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:01 AM

I've worked half-days those Thursdays/Fridays every year for at least a decade, and last year was the first time I had DTV/MMM. I would plant myself at a local bar previously.

The only exceptions were when I attended the first round in DC in 2002 and Dallas in 2006 and I took off full days.

Those first 2 days of MM are my favorite 2 days of the year.

Also, even if you work, you still have 16 games over the first 2 nights and the Sweet 16 games are all night games so you aren't missing any work for that.

#4 OFFLINE   Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn

Icon

• Registered
  • 851 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

I've toyed with the idea of getting this package since the offered it. But looking at pretty girls and cheering against Duke in a bar is much more fun. The problem is in Atlanta, all the good sports bars have closed so I have to find a new haunt. And by the way, GO TARHEELS!

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

To me, this package hardly seems worth it. After the first 4 days, you get to see basically every game in it's entirety. So, $70 for 4 days. And even in those 4 days, you get to see games all day long on regular TV, usually at least 1/4 - 1/2 of every game (due to staggered starts). The only reason I see to buy it, is if you had a team you really wanted to see that you might not see the whole game in the first 4 days. If that's the case, you could go to any bar and probably watch it instead of spending $70 to see 1 game.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

Last year i took one day off and worked from home the 2nd. This is a great package. I have taken both days off this year and will be enjoying the games, maybe even on my 100" projector screen if i get everything setup in time :)
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#7 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

To me, this package hardly seems worth it. After the first 4 days, you get to see basically every game in it's entirety. So, $70 for 4 days. And even in those 4 days, you get to see games all day long on regular TV, usually at least 1/4 - 1/2 of every game (due to staggered starts). The only reason I see to buy it, is if you had a team you really wanted to see that you might not see the whole game in the first 4 days. If that's the case, you could go to any bar and probably watch it instead of spending $70 to see 1 game.

Sparty, i disagree because its typically 4 games at once. Depending on your locale, you might get stuck with a constant feed of a blow out due to a mildly local team. The flex feeds should change over to a closer game, but not always when you want to.

Watching the HD Mix channel, you can bounce to any game at any time. You might have a mildly close game on your CBS but their could be a nailbiter on a different feed at the same time and it won't switch over. Also, during halftimes don't always line up, commercial breaks vary and if you run into Overtime situations, schedules get tossed out the window.

For a big college basketball fan, the package is a great value. For the mild to tourney only fan, i can see someone questioning the value.

Its kinda like me and Sunday Ticket, I don't see a great deal of value in it, but I'm not a huge NFL fan. I'm happy with the 5-6 games per week I get between the Networks and Cable.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:53 AM

Sparty, i disagree because its typically 4 games at once. Depending on your locale, you might get stuck with a constant feed of a blow out due to a mildly local team. The flex feeds should change over to a closer game, but not always when you want to.

True, but generally they do switch and even if they don't, most of the time the game that is shown is apropos to that region (i.e. Michigan will get to see the MSU game). I'm a pretty big college basketball fan (much bigger than the NFL and I had Sunday Ticket) and all I know is that I'll get to see games all day long for 4 days without the package. Now, I run the risk of not seeing the entire MSU game(s) during the first weekend, but that's not worth $70 to me. If I find out I won't be able to catch that particular game, I'll go somewhere that has it and save the money.

I think if D* offered individual games for $10 or $15 (along with the $70 package), they'd make a lot more money.

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

CBS does a good job switching to games that are close. Every year I watch CBS & if Arizona or UNC aren't on locally, I watch them FREE online through http://mmod.ncaa.com/
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

For a big college basketball fan, the package is a great value. For the mild to tourney only fan, i can see someone questioning the value.

I agree, particularly if you have a multi-TV setup. I don't want to have to rely on CBS and my affiliate to decide which games they want me to watch.

I certainly spent much more than $70 going to bars on the first weekend to watch games.

#11 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:33 AM

I agree, particularly if you have a multi-TV setup. I don't want to have to rely on CBS and my affiliate to decide which games they want me to watch.

I certainly spent much more than $70 going to bars on the first weekend to watch games.

That's what draws me to MMM every year. I want to be in control of what I watch and not be at the whim of my local CBS station. $17.25/day is worth it to me to control my viewing experience.

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

I just love college basketball. I watch games almost every night. Doesn't matter to me who's playing (with one exception), so I'm perfectly happy to watch whatever game the Network throws at me. As someone else mentioned, I think they do a good job of switching games when a close game is ending, as I can't think of any time in the last several years when I missed the ending to a good game due to non-switching.

PS. To answer someone else, I don't come close to spending $70 at the bar. When I was in my 20s certainly, but now I'm happy to have 2 beers and be on my way for under $10.

PS. I will say, however, that it would be nice to watch 4 games at once on my 126" screen (like have 4 60" displays on a wall). That's what made Sunday Ticket cool.

#13 OFFLINE   Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn

Icon

• Registered
  • 851 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

The reason I have never ordered are multiple. First pretty girls, cheering against Duke in public, and cold draft beer. Second, I find that the local feed and the feed online is fine for me after I've left the bar. I could see buying it if I wanted to watch by myself, drink bottled beer, and constantly flip between games. I prefer watching 4 LCDs at once (need to find a bar this year). I might even bring my Sirius receiver inside if I am that into it.

I'll agree that CBS has done a better job in recent years. At least we don't have to see a game like Duke vs Liberty that is 88-33 anymore.

But here's a question for those of you that have had the package. If local CBS has UNC-Hampton and switches to Louisville-Valpo. UL-Valpo is on 705, can you watch UNC-Hamtpon on one of the 700's? Or are you losing that game because your local switched? I've always been under the impression that the game the local CBS has scheduled is blacked out no matter of the switch. Kind of like NFLST does with games that are scheduled local. Is that true?

#14 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

The reason I have never ordered are multiple. First pretty girls, cheering against Duke in public, and cold draft beer. Second, I find that the local feed and the feed online is fine for me after I've left the bar. I could see buying it if I wanted to watch by myself, drink bottled beer, and constantly flip between games. I prefer watching 4 LCDs at once (need to find a bar this year). I might even bring my Sirius receiver inside if I am that into it.

I'll agree that CBS has done a better job in recent years. At least we don't have to see a game like Duke vs Liberty that is 88-33 anymore.

But here's a question for those of you that have had the package. If local CBS has UNC-Hampton and switches to Louisville-Valpo. UL-Valpo is on 705, can you watch UNC-Hamtpon on one of the 700's? Or are you losing that game because your local switched? I've always been under the impression that the game the local CBS has scheduled is blacked out no matter of the switch. Kind of like NFLST does with games that are scheduled local. Is that true?

The UNC-Hampton game would be switched to the 700's. That's were the mix channel is a god send.

#15 OFFLINE   nitty316

nitty316

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:51 AM

This is well worth it for a guy like me. I take that Thursday and Friday off every year. I would literally sit in a sportsbar both days for 12 hours each. I spend easily, 30 bucks a night when I'm there. That's just for two days. Now I get all the games, and can sit in my own house and watch them. I won't spend nearly as much money either. I also get the games all weekend and into the following week. So to me, it's totally worth it and I thoroughly enjoy it.

#16 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:52 AM

why is it called march madness when the final 4 games & the championship game are in april....are they not maddening too so they dont count ?

#17 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

This is well worth it for a guy like me. I take that Thursday and Friday off every year. I would literally sit in a sportsbar both days for 12 hours each. I spend easily, 30 bucks a night when I'm there. That's just for two days. Now I get all the games, and can sit in my own house and watch them. I won't spend nearly as much money either. I also get the games all weekend and into the following week. So to me, it's totally worth it and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Yep. Not even counting S16 Thu/Fri, at 8 hours/day on 1st round Thursday and Friday (and that's assuming you take a break from 5-7) and 6 hours/day 2nd round Saturday and Sunday, $70 is peanuts compared to what I'd spend at a sports bar.

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

Well, I take those days off work too. And I watch games for 8 hours per day too. But it cost me nothing. If they only showed prime time games on Network TV, it'd certainly be worth it to me, but as it is, it just doesn't add much, since I don't know how often I'd actually want to switch games. The big selling point to me is the ability to watch multiple games at once. Just don't know if that's worth $70 or not.

#19 OFFLINE   Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn

Icon

• Registered
  • 851 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

$70 is peanuts compared to what I'd spend at a sports bar.

I probably spend that just in the first round with so many hours in a bar. But for me, the atmosphere is what makes me do that. And this year, I might even be able to do some networking which could be advantageous in this job market.

#20 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

This goes back to 2005 I believe, the last time I went to a bar for NCAA Tournament BBall...

I was in Gaylord, Michigan, visiting my sister for St. Patrick's day. It also happened to be the day of the 1st steroid hearings to congress and the opening day of the NCAA Tounrament. I went to the Big Buck Brewery for lunch and the early session as they had the MMOD package.

I hit up some other place in town for most of the evening session, before painting the town red to celebrate St. Patricks day.

Between the two places for food, beverage, and tip I was already over the $70 that is the current price for the package. And thats just one day, not including the St. Paddy's day celebration.

Food and Beverage are much cheaper at home and the only person I have to tip is my wifey. Also have the DVR for my own instant replays and pausing to change the babies diaper :)

spam firewall