Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

March Mega Madness

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

I just got my second call in two days from D* more or less begging me to order March Madness

Times must be really tough to call 2 days in a row and telling me about there great deal they have since I’m a valued customer. The deal he told me about was $59 for March Madness, I said no thank you

But others here may want to take advantage of the $10 savings off the original price

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

Just got a call from Directv informing me of what a great deal this package is and they can sign me up right now. Wonder if they didn't sell as many this year and have turned to calling directly to customers and trying to sucker them in.

Agreed. I think it's a great package -- but it's not worth $70. They've been raising the price over the last few years and I think maybe this time they've reached the breaking point. Any one of their other sports packages offers a lot more value for the dollar than this one. Even if you love it, and buy it, you have to concede they're really pushing the boundary charging $70 for what amounts to basically a handful of days of alternate programming.

I canceled my subscription this year and haven't regretted it at all. CBS has done a good job switching to competitive games in progress and the online feed is there if there's something you're really missing. Just IMO, I understand if it's worth it for others, but I think they might need to reassess their pricepoint b/c $70 is really steep considering how little you're really getting for the money.

#83 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

I just got my second call in two days from D* more or less begging me to order March Madness

Times must be really tough to call 2 days in a row and telling me about there great deal they have since I’m a valued customer. The deal he told me about was $59 for March Madness, I said no thank you

But others here may want to take advantage of the $10 savings off the original price

Once you get beyond the first two days the need for this package is reduced in half -- if not more. $59 from this point forward is ridiculous!

#84 OFFLINE   Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn

Icon

• Registered
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

I think I spent $70 in the bars yesterday. Today I watched the afternoon games at home. But once again, around 7, I will be headed out.

They have done a good job for the most part. Though today I felt they should have switched from the Pitt game when it became obvious that ETSU was not going to win. I had to fire up MMOD to watch the last 3 mins of the Dayton game. CBS should have done that for me. And for that matter, they should have showed the end of the Marquette game. I only noticed the score on the top of the screen. I don't think I saw hardly any of that one.

#85 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

I agree, stew. It's more of a "cool" term some men use.

Gotcha.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#86 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

Once you get beyond the first two days the need for this package is reduced in half -- if not more. $59 from this point forward is ridiculous!

Yeah I realize that it’s no deal at all, and was kind of trying to be sarcastic in my post but it didn’t come out that way. :D

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#87 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

For those of you who paid for this package, do you realize they are airing full games also on CBS College Sports. Louisville/Morehead State is apparently airing in it's entirety right now on that channel, meanwhile I have Utah/AZ on my local CBS station.

#88 OFFLINE   Kiwi474

Kiwi474

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

For those of you who paid for this package, do you realize they are airing full games also on CBS College Sports. Louisville/Morehead State is apparently airing in it's entirety right now on that channel, meanwhile I have Utah/AZ on my local CBS station.

[/I] In Cincinnati Time Warner cable and Directv have three out of the four games on tv. One on CW(not HD), one on regular cbs and one on cbs college sports(HD for directv not sure about TW). I called up Directv and complained. They said CBS can do what they want, but their package has all their games in hd and they have the channel mix(which is not in hd), plus the other interactive stuff. I think next year I will pass on getting the package. The only bad thing is those channels would cut off a game and go to another one.
Kiwi474
*HDTV's - Samsung HL-S6187W 1080P & Toshiba 42H83 720P & Samsung HL-40F61w
* 2 Bose Cinemate - using Bose universal remote
* 5-LNB Slimline Dish & 1 Zinwell WB68 ;phillips ota
* hr20-100 - Native On; ethernet Linksys Wrt54G;
* hr21- Native On;
* h20
* 4 SD receivers

* Xbox360 with Live - wireless connect to pc for media share

#89 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

Yes, CBSCS showed one game yesterday, one today.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#90 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

Yes, CBSCS showed one game yesterday, one today.

It's the same as it was last year. The Thursday west-region 5pm EST game used to be only for local markets, but CBSCS has picked it up and given it national exposure. The Friday early 7pm tip-off game is the same.

FWIW I think CBS has done an excellent job on the national feed -- at least better than they used to do. They switched back and forth from Gonzaga-W. Kentucky to Duke-Texas perfectly without missing a beat. Same deal the night before with Siena-Ohio St. and Fla. St-Wisconsin both going down to the wire. I haven't missed the MMM package at all.

#91 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

So, we have a couple of TVs in our rec room and have them tuned to a couple different channels. Since I do not have everythign all set up and only have a crappy SD receiver running to the second TV now, I have just been putting the OTA CBS feed on the second TV and watch other MMM stuff on the main one. One thing I have noticed is that when you tune to the MMM Mix channel, all the feeds are about 2 seconds ahead of everything else.

I compared the Mix channel to the OTA broadcast and the OTA is behind 2 seconds. When I tune to one of the 702-705 channels, the same broadcast is more or less in sync (a tenth or so maybe). Why is this? Is the SD feed ahead of HD somehow and maybe the mix channel gets the feed from that?

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#92 OFFLINE   nitty316

nitty316

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

This year they did a great job. First off, all the HD feeds were exactly in line with each other. In the past one would be on a delay from another and it would ruin the game if you happened to be at a bar. I have 7 TV's in my basement, 3 of which are HD, so I was able to watch almost every game in HD in my basement. They never switched the feeds of the games on Sattelite and also, when your local game was taken off it showed up right away on the package. The $69 was well worth it.

#93 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

There's no point in paying for this package. All the games are available online for free. We watched several at once. The quality was pretty good.

#94 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

There's no point in paying for this package. All the games are available online for free. We watched several at once. The quality was pretty good.

Well, I don't have a computer hooked up to my 126" display in the HT or my 65" display in the living room. And even if I did, I doubt the picture would have been "pretty good" on either display.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#95 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

Well, I don't have a computer hooked up to my 126" display in the HT or my 65" display in the living room. And even if I did, I doubt the picture would have been "pretty good" on either display.

I would agree. Although I've watched games online in the past, it's just not the same. Plus, my couch is a lot more comfortable than my desk chair! :D

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#96 OFFLINE   nitty316

nitty316

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

I'm well aware that they are available to watch on a computer, however I would rather watch them on TV.

#97 OFFLINE   capecodsooner

capecodsooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

If money was no option then I'd rather watch them on my HD TVs as well but for $70 I'll fire up the laptop(s) and flip that way from game to game.

The CBS online options were well worth the $ $aved for the first two rounds and I felt the did a great job jumping from game to game on the local CBS affiliate (Boston Market). They really took it easy on the screen clutter for advertising, etc, with the popup window that ran the game. Looked better in high quality but it made my low end laptop crawl. Normal quality was good enough both in a window or in full screen.

Comperable to my slinbox feeds when I have excellent connectivity.
Boston Market
Sony KW-5140HW proj. TV
VIZIO 32" HD
OLEVIA 27" HD
VISCO 37" HD
2 x H20-100
2 x H20-600
Hughes SD reciever - Directors Model
Samsung SD reciever
AU-9 Dish/AT-9 Dish/3LNB w/tripod
Sling Boxes(2)
Whole house prewire CAT5/Dual RG-6/5.1 SS

#98 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

True, but generally they do switch and even if they don't, most of the time the game that is shown is apropos to that region (i.e. Michigan will get to see the MSU game). I'm a pretty big college basketball fan (much bigger than the NFL and I had Sunday Ticket) and all I know is that I'll get to see games all day long for 4 days without the package. Now, I run the risk of not seeing the entire MSU game(s) during the first weekend, but that's not worth $70 to me. If I find out I won't be able to catch that particular game, I'll go somewhere that has it and save the money.

I think if D* offered individual games for $10 or $15 (along with the $70 package), they'd make a lot more money.

The games are offered PPV at $25 a pop I think.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...