Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Six Months without having to re-boot with Dish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Unclejeff

Unclejeff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

I just realized that I really can't remember the last time I had to system set-up re-set my 722.

See:)ms like before this was something I had to do something like every couple of months. i don't know what happened, but this is really good!:):)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

I just realized that I really can't remember the last time I had to system set-up re-set my 722.

They say that the memory is the first thing to go. :)

Edited by Kent Taylor, 25 February 2009 - 11:47 PM.

<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   Ddavis

Ddavis

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:36 AM

Actually, memory is the second thing to go.....can't remember what's first!
DDavis - Dish Since 11/1997
PVR 522 & PVR 510 Owned
PVR 510 & Two Dish VIP722k Leased
Dish 1000 with DP Twin LNB and DP Dual LNB - Dish 500 with DP Dual LNB
Two DPP-44's

#4 OFFLINE   newsman

newsman

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:26 AM

Must be nice. My 222 has needed a couple of reboots recently.:mad:

#5 OFFLINE   RTCDude

RTCDude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:31 AM

See:)ms like before this was something I had to do something like every couple of months. i don't know what happened, but this is really good!:):)

What you may not realize is that your 722 is performing a daily reboot anyway without you know it. And for deceptive reasons.

In Menu 8, 4, (a user preference) you can set for a time to download new Guide Data information (I think the default time is 3:00 am). Dish added this functionality because so many people were not putting their receiver in standby mode each day, and the Guide Data would get stale. The only time the receiver is allowed to download new Giude Data is when you're not watching something. So Dish put in this function to automatically force standby each 24 hour.

If you are watching something when this function activates, it brings up a dialog to either quite watching what you're watching, or update the Guide Data. You can't do both at the same time. But if you change the "update" to sometime to which to can daily "cancel" and prevent this functional from happening (and you still put the receiver in standby each 24 hours), the Guide Data still get updated properly. This "update" preference is really an engineering dogde around a deeper issue.

What most folks don't realize is that after the Menu 8, 4 function updates the Guide Data, the receiver will do a complete reboot; just as if you had done a front panel reset. This daily reboot masks the reboots we use to have to do for those instability problems that would accumulate over time. These are the kinds of software errors that slowly eat up resources (like RAM memory) until the firmware starts getting internal errors and things start to go haywire. Dish is either not skilled enough, or too lazy fix these software problem; and instead added this "hack" as a work-around. This is a very old "trick" in the embedded software world to make less stable systems "appear" more stable.

If no one believes me, try this experiment. As I said above, change the Menu 8, 4 function "update" time to sometime during the day when you can cancel it every time it comes up, but always put the receiver in standby each night to still get the Guide Data updated. Within a week or two your receiver WILL start acting very goofy, and will eventually require a front panel reset; or will spontaneously reboot by itself. It takes some time to demonstrate, but its very repeatable.

I've done this experiment many times just to test whether Dish was "really" making the 722 more stable with each firmware update. And it's true that the amount of time it takes for the system to destablize has gotten longer over that last couple of years (week or two instead of day or two). So Dish is getting slightly better, But don't let the "appearences" of less front panel resets deceive you into thinking that the 722's firmware is now incredibly stable; its not. Dish has just made sure that most of us don't see it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...