Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Magic Power Converter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott2

Scott2

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

I posted a bit of this on another thread regarding the VIP622 box audio dropout problems but the unexpected results were so good and beyond the 622 issues alone that I wanted to share this again.

I said I had bought a Monster AV700 Audio Video PowerCenter to try and help with random shutoff issues with my TV (Mitsubishi wd-65732) but honestly mostly to appease the Mits CSRs so we could move on and find the actual cause of the problem. However, after installing the PowerCenter the TV problems appeared to go away. I was surprised to find that my VIP622 audio dropout issues were gone too.

I also had a DVD (el cheapo model) hooked up that was giving me problems but I had forgotten about it. It was randomly not working right as in slow to take remote commands, sometimes would not turn on, etc. and the problems were getting worse and more frequent over time -- same as with the TV and DVR.

We had unplugged/plugged it back in numerous times which sometimes got it going again but had given up on it after it was simply dead for a long time. We had not gotten around to buying another, so I also had not tossed it out. My son tried it again after plugging it into the power converter and it is now working fine, including response to the remote which typically did not come back previously.

So - maybe I'm making a leap here and the magic power converter has nothing to do with this at all. I would never have guessed that the power could be dirty or dirty enough to cause all these problems - there is no flickering or dimming of lights, nothing else seems affected, no signs of this at all. But...... everything now works! The TV has not shut off in weeks and it used to do it several times a day, the TV remote works great now (TV was not responding before), the DVR audio is back and we had lost it on recordings and many HD shows, the DVD player and remote works...... I can't explain it but I'll happily take the results.

Does this make any sense? Could my power really be so crappy that all these products were so adversely affected but there were no other signs? I simply don't know and if you tell me I'm nuts I can't argue. However, if any of you have any of these odd problems it may be worth a try. As I said before, if it doesn't help you can always take the converter back.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

You could have a bad outlet, an improper ground, a ground/negative reversed, low voltage, etc., any of which could have been causing your issues, but if I had to bet, I'd guess you had a ground loop. No one ever wants to believe that power issues are the problem, but they often are, especially grounding issues.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

Most devices are built to work properly within a certain tolerance (+ or - the intended average power)... but any individual home could be to one side or the other side of the extreme on the tolerance scale.

So... besides all mentioned above... say you got a device that happens to be more functional on the lower side of the tolerance scale, but your power happens to be on the upper side. Most devices you have will work fine, but that one will be way out of whack with what it expects, and might have unexpected results.

Basically, anything is possible.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall