Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Total Recall" ready for revival

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,419 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

From The Hollywood Reporter:
Original Films and Columbia Pictures are in final negotiations for a remake of the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi action film,"Total Recall".
Carolco was behind the original film,which was distributed by TriStar.
Dimension picked up the rights,with intentions of doing a sequel.
Columbia secured and retained the rights from Miramax,when Harvey and Bob Weinstein left to start their own company.

http://www.hollywood...e93ff0ac9df2d88

No word on who will star in the remake at this time.

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hmm, not sure what to think about this. I really enjoyed the original movie and hope they don't mess it up.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

I've seen some remakes that were better... many that were worse... and some that were equally good but in different ways from the original.

But Total Recall strikes me as something that I can't see a reason to remake. I haven't read the book, so unless there are unexplored areas of the plot I am not sure why a remake would be in order.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

I've seen some remakes that were better... many that were worse... and some that were equally good but in different ways from the original.

But Total Recall strikes me as something that I can't see a reason to remake. I haven't read the book, so unless there are unexplored areas of the plot I am not sure why a remake would be in order.

Maybe the aliens come back and wonder why their machine was turned on. :)

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

I think there's some room for them to go back to the original source material and make something that's darker and more thought-provoking. Philip K. Dick is a favorite author of mine and movies from his source material range from the brilliant (Blade Runner) to the truly awful (Paycheck). Perhaps the truest adaptation of his vision was A Scanner Darkly which had some problems as a film but really got the tone and vision right.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   mikep554

mikep554

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

While I found it mildly entertaining, it got waaayyyy too campy. Of course, some of that might have been budget related. Imagine the Total Recall story, but done like Blade Runner or Minority Report. Total Recall should have been a lot scarier and more awe inspiring than it was. Blade Runner made hanging out on a street corner in LA look more like being on another planet than going to Mars. Something not right there.
View my setup here

spam firewall