Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to reduce Directv bill?

wrong

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

Trying to cut on all my bills.
Already reduced gas, electric and got rid of land phone line.
DirecTV bill is way too high. I barely watch any TV mostly network channels and my kids watch Nickelodeon, wife watches HGTV. I got rid of all the premium channels since there is nothing good anyway. I dont feel like 10-15 basic channels we are watching are worth 100 dollars a month. The only reason I am keeping this package is because of HD DVR.
Directv seems to develop a strategy where they separated market into two segments - one is people with old TVs and standard receivers that dont care if they have cable or sattelite therefore they can get a package for 29.99 a month. And then there are people who bought HD tvs and DVRs and charged minimum of 73 dollars a month for HDDVR package.
Very unfair. I am thinking of cutting my directv completely off and going with free cable since I already have their internet. Will save 100 dollars a month. But I hate letting go of my HD DVR. Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

You could drop the HD Pack which would save you $10/month.
This pack only adds several of the HD channels that don't have SD equivalents.
You could also remove any extra receivers from your account to save the mirroring fee.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

I dont have HD pack. I pay 72.99 for HD DVR pack which is a rip off. They justify high price by the fact that it includes DVR fee (5.99) and HD fee (9.99).
As to receivers I only can drop one but it would only save me 5 bucks and then I probably would have to send back one of my HD DVRs since they are leased

#4 OFFLINE   satjay

satjay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

If you really need to cut back, go with the basic cable you have included with you internet

#5 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

I was thinking of closing my account and then opening one for my wife. I dont mind 2 year commitment is it will cut my bills. But then of course there is always a problem - I would have to return my equipment and pay for new HD DVRs. I would have to buy at least two on top of the one that comes free so it will be 400 dollars. Not worth the savings

#6 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

Trying to cut on all my bills.
Already reduced gas, electric and got rid of land phone line.
DirecTV bill is way too high. I barely watch any TV mostly network channels and my kids watch Nickelodeon, wife watches HGTV. I got rid of all the premium channels since there is nothing good anyway. I dont feel like 10-15 basic channels we are watching are worth 100 dollars a month. The only reason I am keeping this package is because of HD DVR.
Directv seems to develop a strategy where they separated market into two segments - one is people with old TVs and standard receivers that dont care if they have cable or sattelite therefore they can get a package for 29.99 a month. And then there are people who bought HD tvs and DVRs and charged minimum of 73 dollars a month for HDDVR package.
Very unfair. I am thinking of cutting my directv completely off and going with free cable since I already have their internet. Will save 100 dollars a month. But I hate letting go of my HD DVR. Any suggestions?

Looks like the Family package might be worth a try.

#7 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

You can do with the family pack or the choice package and just add hd and dvr onto either of them. You don't need to have the Choice + HD DVR package to have a HD DVR receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

satjay you right its very tempting. I just hate having HD TV sets and no HD programming. And no DVR recording. I personally dont care. But other people in my household might. Should I try to suspend my service for a month and see how it goes

#9 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,595 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

how do u cut back on your electric bill ?

#10 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

will it save money Evan?

#11 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

In california there are programs for low income families with kids. I have 4 kids so my threshold is very high. If I make under 57,000 or something like that I can get up to 20% discount on monthly bills. Same with gas bill. Also I found out if I still have phone line I would quialify for some program with them too.

#12 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Turn off the TV. :)

I have Plus HD DVR package for $69.99, but that's with No Locals. And as stated, you could go to a less expensive package and then add the HD DVR service.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#13 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

will it save money Evan?

Yes.;)

#14 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

well i did some calculations.
To keep channels like CNN, NIcklodeon and HGTV I would need choice package. If I add DVR fee and HD fee wouldnt it end up being same 73 dollars a month?

#15 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

Chioce is 52.99 + 5.99 for dvr + 9.99 for hd = 68.97 vs 73.99 for choice extra + hd dvr. It's roughly 5$ savings which is the price difference between choice and choice extra. To get any major savings you'd need to drop to family but it doesn't sound like it has the channels needed to keep the wife and kids happy.

CNN does seem to be the only one that would be missing from the family of the ones you mentioned and that does get you down to 29.99 + dvr and hd fees. If you can live with getting your news on the web that would be a bigger savings.

#16 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

does that include locals?

#17 OFFLINE   CindyJ

CindyJ

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

well i did some calculations.
To keep channels like CNN, NIcklodeon and HGTV I would need choice package. If I add DVR fee and HD fee wouldnt it end up being same 73 dollars a month?

The Family Package has HGTV and Nickelodeon. You've already said that you watch mainly network channels. So why pay for 150 channels in the Choice package when you won't watch most of them? Having CNN is worth that much extra cost?

#18 OFFLINE   satjay

satjay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

satjay you right its very tempting. I just hate having HD TV sets and no HD programming. And no DVR recording. I personally dont care. But other people in my household might. Should I try to suspend my service for a month and see how it goes

If its a matter of being able to provide the basic things for a family, its the way to go. You could suspend, then go from there. I think most of us have tried to see how we can cut back on our monthly budgets some way during these crazy times

#19 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hmmm interesting I didnt know that. So you saying I get HGTV and Nicleodeon. So I pay 29.99 and then add DVR 5.99 and HD 9.99 = 46 dollars per month. Thanks Cindy if this is true I am definitely switching packages. I always thought Family pack was a bunch of infomercial channels and Disney.

#20 OFFLINE   satjay

satjay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hmmm interesting I didnt know that. So you saying I get HGTV and Nicleodeon. So I pay 29.99 and then add DVR 5.99 and HD 9.99 = 46 dollars per month. Thanks Cindy if this is true I am definitely switching packages. I always thought Family pack was a bunch of infomercial channels and Disney.

Just an FYI...You may know this but with the 9.99 HD you only get the HD channels in the 29.99 package

spam firewall