Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

? about old receivers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clyde sauls

clyde sauls

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

Next week at church we are having a yard sale. I have several old dish and directv receivers. I have the following dishplayer 7100,4000, and a 1000. Also have a few directv receivers all standard def. Are these receivers even worth selling . I called dish and tech more or less said just junk them.Since they are moving over the mpeg 4. I am assuming directv which will converting customers to mpeg4 from mpeg2 also. Just a thought if I installed the dishplayer and added to my acct. I would like to have another hd receiver for my hdtv upstairs. Would dish give me anything for the dishplayer toward upgrading to another hddvr?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:37 AM

Next week at church we are having a yard sale. I have several old dish and directv receivers. I have the following dishplayer 7100,4000, and a 1000. Also have a few directv receivers all standard def. Are these receivers even worth selling . I called dish and tech more or less said just junk them.Since they are moving over the mpeg 4. I am assuming directv which will converting customers to mpeg4 from mpeg2 also. Just a thought if I installed the dishplayer and added to my acct. I would like to have another hd receiver for my hdtv upstairs. Would dish give me anything for the dishplayer toward upgrading to another hddvr?

7100 is TRASH unless you upgraded the hard drive it is tiny, has a remote control that only works with 7100 & 7200. Model 1000 has no buttons on receiver can only be turned on and off with a remote control that was a dedicated remote control, almost no memory for guide info TRASH. Model 4000's only redeming feature is a UHF remote. Memory limits guide to about an hour, remote would operate TV and was well designed as attested to by the age and fact many are still working. Yes this can be sold but not worth much for features besides the fact it probably still works.

If your Directv is as old as your DISH just toss them.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:16 AM

I'm not sure that any of those receivers can even be activated anymore. The 1000 and 7100 are no longer supported by the new encryption system at all.

The only place for those boxes is an eWaste recycler.

#4 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

maybe there is a person whoe collects old satalite receivers/

#5 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

For what? Planters or doorstops?
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

Get Letterman to throw them from the rooftops.

#7 OFFLINE   jscudder

jscudder

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:42 AM

Two of my old receivers, a 4900 and 301, went to neighbors. Neither of these folks subscribed to cable or dish and were going to loose all their stations...they got nothing with a DTV converter box. One neighbor signed up for the "Locals Only" from Dish for $9.99 the other got the "Welcome Pack plus Locals" for $14.99. Both of these Dish packages require the subscriber own their receiver. Neither of these packages require MPEG4.

A great way to recycle an old receiver.

John

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

Two of my old receivers, a 4900 and 301, went to neighbors. Neither of these folks subscribed to cable or dish and were going to loose all their stations...they got nothing with a DTV converter box. One neighbor signed up for the "Locals Only" from Dish for $9.99 the other got the "Welcome Pack plus Locals" for $14.99. Both of these Dish packages require the subscriber own their receiver. Neither of these packages require MPEG4.

A great way to recycle an old receiver.

John

4900 and 301 are newer than the receivers the OP has. I'm willing to bet the 4700/4900 is the oldest model still supported.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...