Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where can I find the best price

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jenny.jorden

jenny.jorden

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

I need help, I've noticed there are a lot of places advertising different Dish Network packages at different prices. Where do I find the best price?

Thanks
Jen

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

For the most part, all retailers offer the same deals on Dish Network. Dish controls the programming prices and retailers have no control over that. What you may be seeing are old (expired) offers vs. new offers. Dish changes the "new customer offer" every month or two.

Obviously, the equipment that you get will have an impact on your total monthly price, as well as possibly affecting your initial costs. Dish will lease a new customer a limited amount of equipment, in specific configurations, with just a flat-rate activation fee, but if you choose to upgrade beyond those configurations, you'll pay an extra one-time lease fee to do so.

Note that Dish will only lease equipment to support a max of 4 TVs, and all dual-output receivers count as "2 TVs" even if you decide to use them in Single Mode. Dual-TV HD receivers only output in HD on the TV1 output; the TV2 output can access HD channels but the output is down-rezzed to SD. Dual-output DVRs share the 2 sat tuners and the recordings on the hard drive.

IMO, the best place to start is to take an honest look at what your TV situation is going to be for the next year. For example, if you have an SDTV now, but will be upgrading to an HDTV in a few months, you'll want to get HD equipment now, because you won't be able to do a low-cost lease upgrade for a year. Once you figure out what services you want on each TV, then you can figure out what it will cost you. We can help if you have questions.

#3 OFFLINE   Ozzie 33

Ozzie 33

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

I need help, I've noticed there are a lot of places advertising different Dish Network packages at different prices. Where do I find the best price?

Thanks
Jen

In addition to the above answer another consideration for you to consider. I signed up through my phone company for Dish. If you need to call Dish you will be redirected to a different "Affiliates Department". You also will not be allowed to access their web site for account information. It may seem like a small detail but for example I would like to test the new beta Slingbox technology that Dish has but since I have no account online I am unable to sign up for the test. Also when calling Dish on the phone it can take up to an additional five minutes to talk to a customer rep while being switched to the "Affiliates Department" if you have a problem. Don't get me wrong, I haven't had to call very often in the last year and a half but Dish does seem to treat me like a 2nd class customer because of it sometimes. The $$ I paid was the same if I had purchased through Dish at the time but I did get a temporary savings on the phone bill.

#4 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

New customer promotions change on August 1st and Febuary 1st. Sometimes a reseller will offer something to go with the deal such as a portable dvd player or an ipod or something like that. If you go though dish the best deal is the current promotion with the club dish discount.

Edited by jclewter79, 28 February 2009 - 08:48 AM.

Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...