Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Slacker as a "Sirius" substitute for SiriusXM?

tv app

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

Mr. King Little Stevie and I will miss you at the Underground Garage

I haven't made the call yet, but, just think of all the extra room you and Stevie will have without me hangin' out there. ;) Then again, Stevie doesn't really take up that much room..
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

I wish I could tell you. I have my 25 stations loaded and spent all of yesterday (about 7 hours) listening to one station with no repeats that I noticed. It would be interesting to find this out if anyone here knows.

The longest I've listened on a particular day has been about 14 hrs & I heard no repeats ;) While I've been listening, I tagged my favorites & heard no repeats on any day !!!

5 LNB Slimline>HR24-500>Sony KDS 50 A 2020>HDMI
Sony DAV-DX255 Component
Samsung DVD/VCR-VR320

PS4>HDMI
PS3>Component
Xbox 360>Component
Total Choice Plus/HD Access/NFL ST Max
HBO/Showtime/Starz/Sports Pack
DBSTalk App Thru Samsung Galaxy S 4

#23 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:03 PM

Have any of you Slackers had your "radio" lock up and be totally unresponsive??? Mine currently is locked and I can't turn it off or go to a "station". This has happened several times before and it normally resets itself, but now it won't do anything. It also freezes when updating certain channels (Jam Bands). This is getting very frustrating. I have a first gen unit and have found no way to get at the battery to "reboot" it. It appears there is no way to open the unit. :(

#24 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

Well, after fiddling for about 15 minutes it went to the "starting up" page after holding the power button down for a few minutes. I'm still not pleased with the way this thing is acting (although I love it once it gets started).

#25 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

One of the threads on woot when the 8 gig was up for sale last, might be a month ago now, a guy had a list of how to reboot and then update the firmware. It is a rather involved list of buttons to hit or I'd remember and tell you how to do it. This was not during a wootoff so it may have been on selloutwoot I just can't remember for sure now.

#26 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Galaxie, I updated the version this morning after doing a bit of research. It seems to be doing better today, although I haven't done a full refresh of all my channels. To get the new software version I had to delete all stations except one then, when I did an update on WiFi it updated the one station and the software.

By the way, I heard a repeat today, "Dead Skunk" by Loudon Wainwright III. :lol:

#27 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

So much for the software update. I haven't been able to get all the stations to update at any time yet. I feel like an unpaid beta tester. This thing is a GREAT idea that is not ready for prime time (yet).

#28 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

This thing has me so frustrated I am about to throw it against the wall. It is a useless piece of crap. It locks up everytime I turn it on now. I did two software updates and no change. Totally worthless. I messed with it for over an hour yesterday just to get it producing sound. I never know if when using the scroll key if it will respond immediately or if it will take over 5 minutes to respond. I sent a message to Slacker yesterday, but no response yet. When it locks up I can't even turn it off, all I can do is reboot which brings it up and locks it up again. Removing the battery does the same. Plugging the battery back in results in another lockup. Making it USB unfriendly was a HUGE mistake. I'm not going to change the address of my router just to be able to use the USB connection!! I don't know from one day to the next if it will work at all. I am going to TRY to get my money back for this piece of crap from Slacker. I have no desire to screw around with another unit. DO NOT BUY THIS THING!!!!

#29 OFFLINE   WERA689

WERA689

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationCanton, GA

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:35 AM

This is a G1, isn't it Richard?
link to my system specs: http://www.dbstalk.c...775#post3155775

My wonderful cat, Kawie, passed away on 11/23/08. He had a remarkable soul, and I miss him deeply. Thank you, my buddy, for sharing your life with me.

#30 OFFLINE   philslc

philslc

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:11 AM

As mentioned before, I recently Wooted a 25 station 8Gig "Slacker" WiFi radio. After using it for a couple of days, I have become convinced that if I were a music only listener on XM that the Slacker would be a great substiute. I can load any of 25 radio "stations" that they program and listen to any of them at any time. They claim that the free subscription is advertising supported with 2 ads per hour. I have yet to hear an ad after many hours of listening (while working on rebuilding a house here). Anyway, so far I am very impressed. My only two complaints are that I have a problem hooking it up to the computer and it takes a couple of minutes for it to fire up when turned on. The first isn't really a problem since I can "reload" my station by WiFi. I don't think there's a cure for the second problem. So far, so good.

http://www.slacker.com/

I use the Slacker service on my Blackberry phone. It's less expensive than XM was and I have more control over the content. :)

PhilB
HR20-100

#31 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

This is a G1, isn't it Richard?

Yes, it is. I have been busy with other things and just now got back to emailing them. I hope they find a solution, becuase this thing is just too frustrating the way it is "working" now. :barf:

#32 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

Yes, it is. I have been busy with other things and just now got back to emailing them. I hope they find a solution, becuase this thing is just too frustrating the way it is "working" now. :barf:

All that glitters isn't gold--Little Stevie and I are still happy at the Underground Garage :sunsmile:

#33 OFFLINE   WERA689

WERA689

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationCanton, GA

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

I've already found their online chat to be very effective...you might want to try that option if possible. Having issues here getting a G2 to connect via wi-fi. Warranty exchange is already underway, within one day.
link to my system specs: http://www.dbstalk.c...775#post3155775

My wonderful cat, Kawie, passed away on 11/23/08. He had a remarkable soul, and I miss him deeply. Thank you, my buddy, for sharing your life with me.

#34 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

Every time I look at the online "support" feature it is "offline". I've tried it and no one responds. My unit is locked up again this morning and is a boat anchor. I don't own a boat, but I guess I could wedge it under the door and use it as a doorstop.

#35 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

They're sending me an RMA to exchange the unit. :(

#36 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:32 AM

At least you're getting it replaced, Richard... that's a good thing!

I have to thank you for pointing this service out; I wasn't even aware of it. I loaded the app on my iPhone and computers. I listen in the office for most of the day too when talk radio has sufficiently annoyed me. :D

Oh, and the quality of the audio on the iPhone app as compared to the Pandora app is 500% better! I don't know what Pandora does to their streams, but it's so bit starved and tinny it's almost unbearable. Slacker isn't perfect but boy does it sound a whole lot better.

#37 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

I love my iPhone app. I've had a few issues lately with it locking up (the app, not the phone), but other than that I totally enjoy this more than Pandora. As others have mentioned, the sound quality is awesome over EDGE, 3G and Wi-Fi.

I'm thinking about upgrading to Slacker Plus but I don't know how that translates to the iPhone app.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#38 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:27 PM

At least you're getting it replaced, Richard... that's a good thing!

I have to thank you for pointing this service out; I wasn't even aware of it. I loaded the app on my iPhone and computers. I listen in the office for most of the day too when talk radio has sufficiently annoyed me. :D.

Glad you're enjoying it. ;) It's funny, but I heard of the service ages ago and had seriously (Siriusly?) considered it back then, but I had XM and didn't see the need to spend the $$$ on the receiver. When Woot put it in a Wootoff I had no more reason to wait. When I get mine back I'm going to cancel XM for at least 5 months which will pay for the Slacker "radio".

Oh, and the quality of the audio on the iPhone app as compared to the Pandora app is 500% better! I don't know what Pandora does to their streams, but it's so bit starved and tinny it's almost unbearable. Slacker isn't perfect but boy does it sound a whole lot better.

I haven't heard the Pandora app, but from your description I would guess that they are compressing the audio (not digitally compressing) to the point that there is no headroom left and therefore, no dynamic range.

#39 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:56 AM

I haven't heard the Pandora app, but from your description I would guess that they are compressing the audio (not digitally compressing) to the point that there is no headroom left and therefore, no dynamic range.

What I don't understand is why they're doing it. If Slacker can stream over 3G and Wifi with decent quality why can't Pandora do the same? :confused:

I guess Slacker just has better geeks. :lol:

#40 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

What I don't understand is why they're doing it. If Slacker can stream over 3G and Wifi with decent quality why can't Pandora do the same? :confused:

I guess Slacker just has better geeks. :lol:

I thought I read somewhere that Pandora sounded better over wi-fi but I could be totally wrong.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

Protected By... spam firewall...And...