Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Slacker as a "Sirius" substitute for SiriusXM?

tv app

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

FYI, The Slacker G2 25 station unit is on sale this week at my local Best Buy. YMMV.
D* customer since 1996, when new customers had to PAY for equipment

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:56 PM

It appears that Slacker lost my unit that I sent back to them. I have a tracking number showing it delivered (along with a name of the person who signed for it) and they claim that they never received it. If they don't find it or send me another one I really wouldn't feel comfortable doing business with them again.

I sent it to them on Mar 14 by Fed Ex. They received it on Mar 23. I sent the an email requesting status on Mar 27. They responded on Mar 30 that they never received it.

Per the tracking number, "The package was delivered on Mar 23 and signed by ******." I responed to their Mar 30 email on Mar 30, informing of the delivery and the name of the person who signed for it. I asked for a status again on Apr 2. So far there has been no other response from Slacker. What a bunch of slackers.

Edited by Richard King, 06 April 2009 - 12:13 AM.

The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#43 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

Slacker doesn't respond to my emails asking if they found my unit. I have made 3 requests as to whether they have found it and have had NO response to any of them. I have now posted the same on their forums. We shall see if I get a response there or if they simply delete my post.

#44 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

Slacker doesn't respond to my emails asking if they found my unit. I have made 3 requests as to whether they have found it and have had NO response to any of them. I have now posted the same on their forums. We shall see if I get a response there or if they simply delete my post.

Poor Mr. King :( It sounds like you have come around full circle--Sirius XM can be very slow responding to e-mails! I do hope things work out for you, but remember Little Stevie and I are still at the Underground Garage ;)

#45 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

Slacker tells me today that my replacement will ship to me in a couple of days. I have o idea if they found the one that I sent them though.

#46 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:54 AM

Very interesting concept. The offline listening is particular interesting.

I use pandora every now and then on my PC (sounds good on the PC...never tried it on my ipod though). But offline listening would be awesome!

Too bad you cannot do offline with the iPod App. I realize they probably cant store that much local data, still it would be cool.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#47 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

I often listen to the on line Slacker feed while sitting at the computer. There are many stations that have been designed as a substitute for the XM staions that I have listened to in the past, including one called "Garageland" which has a playlist that is designed around "Underground Garage". I suspect you could find just about any XM station pretty much duplicated on Slacker. Each of these stations can be uploaded to the portable device (if your device works properly).

#48 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

My Slacker is back!!! It seems to be downloading just fine. I'll probably not work with it until tomorrow, once it is fully loaded. Once I am convinced that it will work properly I'll probably sign up to create my own "radio station". ;)

#49 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

Well, the decision has been made. Slacker is a great sub for the XM music channels. The new unit has been working flawlessly for several days now and I am VERY impressed with it. I even created my own radio station, "Minnesota Music" that can be listened to here: http://www.slacker.c...5431/1236904269 I was successful in uploading the station to my player (along with 24 other staions). I also succeeded in doing a WIFI download of my stations from a restaurant in Cocoa Beach during lunch today. The download was actually faster at the restaurant than it has been at home. Glad I got this contraption. Now, if XM comes out with their Talk Radio only package I may jump back only for that. Currently playing "Liar Liar" by the Castaways on that fab station, "Minnesota Music". ;)

#50 OFFLINE   TJStaar

TJStaar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

I'm glad you stuck with it. I too had problems at first and had to exchange my first player. They are a small company and are experiencing some growing pains, but the service is awesome and I have found them to be excellent to deal with and very responsive to my needs.

I left XM in mid-March after 3+ years, and I don't regret it at all. I do hope, for their sake, that they can turn things around and recapture what they once were. In the meantime, I'll be slackin'.

Todd

#51 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

Have you (or any other Slackers here) created any custom stations yet? If so, post a link.

#52 OFFLINE   TJStaar

TJStaar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

I've created a couple, and so has my buddy. I'll see if I can get them posted here. I also found some on the Slacker forum that I'm using that are meant to approximate former XM stations.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...