Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question re. Garmin GPS units: when new roads are built...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

I've had a Garmin Nuvi for about 18 months and was wondering about something. In late 2007 a new tollway was completed in the Chicago metro area. As of summer 2008, 9 months after its completion, the I-355 extension still wasn't in most GPS units. When I called Garmin to inquire about this, they told me that when new expressways and tollways are built, it takes time to be added to the GPS satellites. The tech support person with whom I spoke said that they add such info to their database and it is then that it is reflected in the units when we drive.

I asked him at that time why this major tollway wasn't yet available, and the guy tells me that it was because it wasn't considered a high enough priority and that not enough Garmin customers had contacted them to add it. Well, here it is even 9 months later and I-355 still isn't appearing in my Garmin Nuvi. So, I'm wondering if the Garmin support person was full of it. Doesn't one simply have to connect the Garmin to a PC and update the software that way in order to have the new tollway and other info available?

I have yet to do this in the time I've owned it; hence my question.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bsprague

bsprague

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

The satellites do not have any road data. They only allow a GPS unit to compute a position. The unit has all the road data. In airplane and boat units they have different data.

Road data is provided by a company called NAVTEQ. Garmin and all other brands buy the data from NAVTEQ. Once a year, Garmin makes upgrade data available. They also provide operating software upgrades from time to time as necessary.

I don't know about your Nuvi model, but traditionally Garmin has charged $75 for new road data and the software upgrades are free.

Your toll road will first have to get into the NAVTEQ data and then Garmin will have to transfer that to the next upgrade.

Bill, a DirecTV customer since 1999
--Condo: Slimline AU9, HR21-100 > Panasonic 42” Plasma with Bose CineMate, HR24-200> Sony KDL-55HX800 LED & 3D with Sony Soundbar HT-CT150, Wii
--Motorhome: 2004 40' Beaver, ISC 350 Cummins, KVH R5 - in motion, R15-500 > 30" Sharp Aquos LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:01 PM

I suppose that I can always grab my unit and see what happens when I try to update it.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

At the end of January, Garmin launched a new map update option: you pay a one-time fee of $129, and you get free map updates for the life of that device. Also, they are now pulling an update from Navteq once per quarter instead of only once a year, so as Navteq adds the information, you'll be able to get it into your device more quickly. You can still do a one-time update for around $75 if you want.

I bought my Nuvi just after the 2007 maps were released, so they badly needed an update. Only recently did Navteq add a freeway extention that had been in use for a year. I went ahead and bought the lifetime updates and updated my Nuvi. You have to download a 3GB or so file, and then it takes a good hour to do the update (the USB transfer to the device takes a long time; I think the device is only USB 1.1). But now my Nuvi is freshly updated and much nicer to use since that freeway extension is often part of my route.

#5 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

So you mean I have to pay a frickin' fee of $75 or $129 just to get updated mapping information? That's asinine.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,909 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

When I purchased my handheld unit, I had to purchase the street maps seperately. And I have to purchase the updates as a seperate package.

Anyone know which road units accept GPX files, like from EasyGPS?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#7 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

Well, there's a web site to which I belong where I'll be able to get all the Garmin stuff at no cost. I'm going to try there.

#8 OFFLINE   bsprague

bsprague

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

So you mean I have to pay a frickin' fee of $75 or $129 just to get updated mapping information? That's asinine.

Welcome to the information age! Content, data, information, TV programing, music, video, etc all as a value and price. Keeping the aviation data current on a Garmin airplane unit is several hundred a year or more depending on what features you use.

--Condo: Slimline AU9, HR21-100 > Panasonic 42” Plasma with Bose CineMate, HR24-200> Sony KDL-55HX800 LED & 3D with Sony Soundbar HT-CT150, Wii
--Motorhome: 2004 40' Beaver, ISC 350 Cummins, KVH R5 - in motion, R15-500 > 30" Sharp Aquos LCD

#9 OFFLINE   bsprague

bsprague

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

Well, there's a web site to which I belong where I'll be able to get all the Garmin stuff at no cost. I'm going to try there.

Good luck. Garmin has been pretty clever and careful to make sure their copywrited NAVTEC data is not distrubuted freely.

#10 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts

Fortunately, I was able to download the Garmin stuff at no cost from the aforementioned site and save a bunch of money. And no, I can't share the files. :D

#11 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts

I'm sure, but it's done, and I've got it.

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

No GPS companies give map updates for free, because they have to purchase licenses for them from Navteq.

And the street map updates are locked to the serial number of your unit. You can pirate some of the other map types, but you won't get any street info to work on your unit unless you buy it.

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:43 PM

Uh, that's not completely true. Let's just leave it at that. It's unlocked on my unit. ;)

#14 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

I never buy maps,whenever i run into problems like new constrution,road repair or whatever i just keep heading in the compass direction until it is safe to let it take over.It is cheaper and better to buy a new unit every few years.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...