Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possible to change local stations received?

hawaii

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stoverny

stoverny

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

Hello, my Dad lives in the Pocono mountain area of Pennsylvania, right on the border of Pike and Wayne Counties. It is semi-rural and mountainous, and he cannot get the local signals free over-the-air.

He recently switched to DirecTV specifically because they told him he would get the local (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre) channels (he was only getting NYC locals via Dish network). They double-checked his address and zip code, and assured him he would definitely get the local channels from Scranton.

However, after they hooked it up, they told him he can only get the NYC channels after all. Evidently his zip code (18445) covers 2 counties - Pike county gets NYC channels, and Wayne county gets Scranton. He is literally on the border - his neighbors one street over are in Wayne county and get the Scranton locals, while he is in Pike county and so gets NYC.

He is upset because he does not want NYC locals, but repeated calls to DirecTV have yielded nothing (although they did toss in a year of free Showtime since their salesperson was wrong about him getting the Scranton channels).

Is there ANYTHING he can do at this point? He is older and retired, and simply wants to be able to see the news/weather from his local area rather than NYC. Is there a waiver or something he could get that would allow him to get the stations he wants, without having to move to a new house a block or two over to switch counties?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

A letter to the FCC might get some results,but it might not. Directv is very tight on this situation. The only way they'll change it is if you can get a waiver from the FCC. It would probably be a lot easier just to move though.

#3 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

A letter to the FCC might get some results,but it might not. Directv is very tight on this situation. The only way they'll change it is if you can get a waiver from the FCC. It would probably be a lot easier just to move though.

I would be willing to do this if I had a clue who to send it to. I have called the FCC numerious times and no one seems to know anything about satellite stuff when I call. They alwys direct me to some other org. pretty sad if you ask me.

#4 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

Check your Private Messages for a solution to your problem. Click on the box in the upper right part of this page.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#5 OFFLINE   Rasputin

Rasputin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

Check your Private Messages for a solution to your problem. Click on the box in the upper right part of this page.

Bob, I would like to know what to do too. I live in Mount Pleasant, Texas and DirecTV says I have to get my locals out of Shreveport, La. but when I pull up my area code on D* it gives me a choice of Titus or Franklin county. Franklin county gets the Tyler-Longview locals which are closer to where I live and visit quite often (I haven't been to Shreveport in years so their ads do me no good) and also they are broadcast in HD while Shreveport's are not.

Any help would be appreciated,
Pat

#6 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

Is there ANYTHING he can do at this point? He is older and retired, and simply wants to be able to see the news/weather from his local area rather than NYC. Is there a waiver or something he could get that would allow him to get the stations he wants, without having to move to a new house a block or two over to switch counties?

Get a AM21

#7 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

Bob, I would like to know what to do too. I live in Mount Pleasant, Texas and DirecTV says I have to get my locals out of Shreveport, La. but when I pull up my area code on D* it gives me a choice of Titus or Franklin county. Franklin county gets the Tyler-Longview locals which are closer to where I live and visit quite often (I haven't been to Shreveport in years so their ads do me no good) and also they are broadcast in HD while Shreveport's are not.

Pat

Private message waiting.
Roku
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#8 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

Get a AM21

The OP said the area was mountainous and he couldn't get OTA signals.
Roku
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#9 OFFLINE   kryscio23

kryscio23

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

Bob, I would like to know what to do too.

stoverny,

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about ... I live right down the road from you guys in northeastern Monroe County. I am about 2 minutes from the NJ border, near Shawnee/Minisink Hills area right on 209 and near I-80.

I would be glad to flip locals with you! I want no part of the "assigned" Wilkes-Barre/Scranton locals and would LOVE to have the New York locals. Tell your family I'll trade with you in a heartbeat!

I really don't understand who made up these guidelines at all. Given our geographical location we should be able to choose. Even the local cable company gives us locals for W-B/S, NYC AND Philadelphia combined.

So Bob, how can I get the NYC locals instead?? :confused:

#10 OFFLINE   meldar_b

meldar_b

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:07 AM

Hey Bob Coxner :wave:

Please hit me that info in a pm too :jumpingja

I will be getting Directv later this month after I make sure I can get all the Sat's using the sun or moon aliment and I am looking for a way to change to Lexington, KY DMA I am listed to have the Charleston-Huntington WV DMA :eek2: I asked this on the other sat board and they told me to set my mailing address in the next county where the service is available :grin:

Thanks

#11 OFFLINE   ke3ju

ke3ju

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts
  • LocationStroudsburg, PA and Seminole, FL

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

go paperless, and give D* an address (a friends house) that's in the zip that will give him his locals. I did it for years, until we got the locals in HD here in Stroudsburg.
1 - HR20-100S
1 - HR21-100B
1 - HR22-700
1 - HR24-500
1 - R22

'Any fool can write code that a computer can understand.
Good programmers write code that humans can understand.'
Martin Fowler

#12 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

go paperless, and give D* an address (a friends house) that's in the zip that will give him his locals. I did it for years, until we got the locals in HD here in Stroudsburg.

be careful discussing this openly or the thread will get locked by a mod.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#13 OFFLINE   HOPPER810

HOPPER810

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

Pat

i'm in a like kind of situation. i live in Athens,tx and my locals are from DFW. D* offers the Tyler area locals but i can't get them. from my house it's about 90 miles to Dallas and 30 miles to Tyler.when i called D* to ask about how i could get the Tyler channels they said " i live to far away from Tyler" huh:rolleyes: any ideas? thanks. my zip is 75752 if that helps any

Edited by HOPPER810, 01 March 2009 - 09:03 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

i'm in a like kind of situation. i live in Athens,tx and my locals are from DFW. D* offers the Tyler area locals but i can't get them. from my house it's about 90 miles to Dallas and 30 miles to Tyler.when i called D* to ask about how i could get the Tyler channels they said " i live to far away from Tyler" huh:rolleyes: any ideas? thanks. my zip is 75752 if that helps any

If your only about 30 miles from Tyler then just go OTA. Buy and antenna and pre-amp, then you should be fine. Plug it into your reciever and then set up the guide to pull those locals. Its easy. There are 2 Channel Master antennas that would mount to a satellite pole if you have a spare on the roof that would be good enough to get those signals.

#15 OFFLINE   HOPPER810

HOPPER810

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

If your only about 30 miles from Tyler then just go OTA. Buy and antenna and pre-amp, then you should be fine. Plug it into your reciever and then set up the guide to pull those locals. Its easy. There are 2 Channel Master antennas that would mount to a satellite pole if you have a spare on the roof that would be good enough to get those signals.

i could do that,but then i would be out that much more cash for the am-21,a decent outside antenna,and pole.i even told D* i would be willing to pay a little more to receive the channels but sorry no can do.

#16 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,063 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

Directv can't really help (neither can the FCC), because the rules are made by Congress. There have been some hearings recently about possible changes, but nothing has been decided yet.

#17 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

i could do that,but then i would be out that much more cash for the am-21,a decent outside antenna,and pole.i even told D* i would be willing to pay a little more to receive the channels but sorry no can do.

What kind of recievers do you have? Also if you are like alot of people there is an old satellite pole on the roof that has nothing on it. Thats what I used for my antenna. My antenna was like $30 and the pre-amp $25. Installed myself and works great. Of course I have a HR20 and dont need the AM21.

#18 OFFLINE   n6io

n6io

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

Directv can't really help (neither can the FCC), because the rules are made by Congress. There have been some hearings recently about possible changes, but nothing has been decided yet.

Where I live (Garrett Co, MD) there are no OTA stations except the local PBS outlet. I live in Maryland, work in the Washington, DC area, but am forced to watch Pittsburgh channels. This has some residents riled up enough that last week there was a letter to the editor complaining about this in the local paper. I'm working with that person to try and get a waiver from the FCC - if we get a few dozen people to join the complaint maybe it'll have a chance.

I can't seem to find the official source data that tells the FCC which city's stations each small town or county will get. If anyone knows where that it I'd appreciate it. It's based on viewing polls or Nielsen ratings or some such.

I think many people in my county want Pittsburgh TV because everyone is a Steelers fan - but I need to be able to get weather and road reports before going to work. Not to mention Pittsburgh news is lame.

I had a workaround since moving here 5 years ago, but when I upgraded to HD the installer kept going to the wrong address! :) :)

#19 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

I had a workaround since moving here 5 years ago, but when I upgraded to HD the installer kept going to the wrong address! :) :)

That tends to happen to people that fudge their address to get locals they are not able to get through D*. Im in that same boat but I chose OTA that was available to me so I was not violating anything. Its not perfect but not bad. Maybe if I am lucky one day D* will have the Joplin/Pittsburg DMA or that new stuff they are trying to pass where they can offer a neighboring local in state. That is what I really want. I want Tulsa locals.

#20 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

Where I live (Garrett Co, MD) there are no OTA stations except the local PBS outlet. I live in Maryland, work in the Washington, DC area, but am forced to watch Pittsburgh channels. This has some residents riled up enough that last week there was a letter to the editor complaining about this in the local paper. I'm working with that person to try and get a waiver from the FCC - if we get a few dozen people to join the complaint maybe it'll have a chance.

I can't seem to find the official source data that tells the FCC which city's stations each small town or county will get. If anyone knows where that it I'd appreciate it. It's based on viewing polls or Nielsen ratings or some such.

I think many people in my county want Pittsburgh TV because everyone is a Steelers fan - but I need to be able to get weather and road reports before going to work. Not to mention Pittsburgh news is lame.

The FCC uses data provided by Nielsen.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Media_market Look for TMA (Television Market Area) and DMA (Designated Market Area).

As for the installer, most folks "move" to their actual address before calling for repairs/new dish and then "move" back afterwards.
Roku
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...