Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Oklahoma City - VHF or UHF After Transition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Waimea

Waimea

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

Hi,

I think I know the answer but before I act i thought I'd better get confirmation. Do Oklahoma City stations now broadcast their didgital signals exclusively in VHF? I have a nice attic-mounted UHF antenna and an LNA (I am in the country, many miles from the broadcast towers) that has worked fine for a coupe of years, with the exception of Channel 5, which broadcast it's Digital sig in VHF. Now, after the transition, and a rescan, I still get channel 4 dig, but it is shown as 4.1, and I have no idea if that is UHF or VHF, but I do not get Chan 5. 9. or 13 at all. I presume that I must replace the UHF antenna with VHF? Any help appreciated.

man I can tell I am getting old: stuff like this drives me nuts, I just want to get it working once and then forget about it... Hopefully crap won't be changing around much in future, or liable to be the next guy to put a bullet in his TV :)

Added; Based on Antenna Fool it does indeed look like 5, 9, and 13 are all currently VHF. I will dig deeper to see what they will be in June, which is what, post-post FINAL transition? heh

Edited by Waimea, 01 March 2009 - 08:52 PM.
New Info based on TV Fool

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

Hi,

I think I know the answer but before I act i thought I'd better get confirmation. Do Oklahoma City stations now broadcast their didgital signals exclusively in VHF? I have a nice attic-mounted UHF antenna and an LNA (I am in the country, many miles from the broadcast towers) that has worked fine for a coupe of years, with the exception of Channel 5, which broadcast it's Digital sig in VHF. Now, after the transition, and a rescan, I still get channel 4 dig, but it is shown as 4.1, and I have no idea if that is UHF or VHF, but I do not get Chan 5. 9. or 13 at all. I presume that I must replace the UHF antenna with VHF? Any help appreciated.

man I can tell I am getting old: stuff like this drives me nuts, I just want to get it working once and then forget about it... Hopefully crap won't be changing around much in future, or liable to be the next guy to put a bullet in his TV :)

According to www.tvfool.com it looks as though you still have UHF and VHF. For VHF it lists KETA (PBS), KWTV (CBS) & KOCO (ABC). All the rest are listed as UHF. Hope this helps. Get an antenna that gets both. If its just in the attic then you have alot of choices to go with. Get at least a medium directional and you should be fine. I perfer Channel Master but alot like Winegard. To each their own. GL with it.

#3 OFFLINE   Waimea

Waimea

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

TY josh for your help. Actually TV Fool says a set top ntenna shouild be ok: I am going to buy one and try it out before replacing attic antenna: I tried to get a set-top working back before i bought the attic mount but it wouldnt cut it. Maybe now things have changed with signal level? Would definitely be cheaper and easier, so I will give it a shot.

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

TY josh for your help. Actually TV Fool says a set top ntenna shouild be ok: I am going to buy one and try it out before replacing attic antenna: I tried to get a set-top working back before i bought the attic mount but it wouldnt cut it. Maybe now things have changed with signal level? Would definitely be cheaper and easier, so I will give it a shot.

Not really. You could get an antenna for about $50 and that would ensure you of your signal. I would want stronger then a set top. Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...