Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Very Confused on how to order

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hollypc

hollypc

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

Hi,

I have been reading the threads but I am still confused and have a bunch of questions. I am switching from comcast to dish. I live in a 2 family house. My dad who just retired moved into the 1st floor of my house. Can we share one account? Will the tech put 3 of the receivers upstairs and one downstairs? If not can I have them all put upstairs and move one downbstairs myself? I am not sure how dish installation works?

Secondly, I don't want to pay for any equipment. I went to the website and saw what they would give me at no charge.

1. A DVR HD box
2. A HD box
3. A standard box
4. A standard box

How does the dual DVR box work? I have read that you can use it on 2 tvs. Does that mean the 2nd tv does not have a box? I am so confused. Can I do this?

1. Game room - DVR box
2. Bedroom - hooked up to the DVR box
3. Bedroom - standard box
4. Living room - standard box
4. Dad's tv - HD box

So 4 receivers but 5 tvs - does that make sense.

I know that I will buy another DVR & HD box but I can't spend the money right now.

Please let me know if I am making sense before I place my order. Thanks for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

That's doable, with a vip211 HD receiver for Dad, a 625 DVR or vip722 HDDVR for 1 and 2 (Couldn't tell if you had 1 or 2 total HD televisions) and a 311 for the living room free under the promotion, then you'd have to pay $149 for the 311 in the bedroom. Dish has a limit on 4 'leased' tuners.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

I have been reading the threads but I am still confused and have a bunch of questions. I am switching from comcast to dish. I live in a 2 family house. My dad who just retired moved into the 1st floor of my house. Can we share one account? Will the tech put 3 of the receivers upstairs and one downstairs? If not can I have them all put upstairs and move one downbstairs myself? I am not sure how dish installation works?

Secondly, I don't want to pay for any equipment. I went to the website and saw what they would give me at no charge.

1. A DVR HD box
2. A HD box
3. A standard box
4. A standard box

How does the dual DVR box work? I have read that you can use it on 2 tvs. Does that mean the 2nd tv does not have a box? I am so confused. Can I do this?

1. Game room - DVR box
2. Bedroom - hooked up to the DVR box
3. Bedroom - standard box
4. Living room - standard box
4. Dad's tv - HD box

So 4 receivers but 5 tvs - does that make sense.

I know that I will buy another DVR & HD box but I can't spend the money right now.

Please let me know if I am making sense before I place my order. Thanks for your help.

Get out the yellow pages, and find your local (not 800#) DISH retailer for help. He will set you up in the right direction. You are in an eastern arc market, therefore only VIP receivers will work.

Let us know how many HDTV's you currently have...

#4 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

If upstairs and downstairs each have their own address (as a duplex would), they need separate accounts.

DISH limits leased receivers to four independent outputs. A dual output receiver (SD or HD, with or W/O DVR ability) lets you connect the receiver to the TV in the room with the receiver and also feed a 2nd room with a SD signal on coax. In Dual mode, each room has their own remote to control their output, but they share a hard drive if it is a DVR. If you put that dual output receiver into Single mode, both rooms will see the same thing (but it would still count as two outputs for the 4 limit).

It isn't clear what you want where, but the 2nd #4 for Dad doesn't say DVR so give him his own 211 for live HD that isn't shared with anything. Now you need to figure out how the other #1-#4 rooms could get by with 3 outputs. You could put the Dual Output DVR (SD/HD) in the Game room and use Coax from that room so that its TV2 output went to both bedrooms and the living room. If that Game room was a (HD) ViP 722, its TV1 output could be one channel on the coax and its TV2 another channel. You WILL encounter conflicts if there is sharing so you could get the receiver for the 4th "output" installed it whatever room would be least capable of sharing with the other two rooms. NOTE that something being recorded on the DVR might prevent someone from watching another channel live / channel surfing.

With 4 outputs available on a lease, you have to find two of the 5 TVs that wouldn't need their own independent output.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,702 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

Chances are pretty good that they'll set you up with two dual-tuner receivers.

Do the residences have independent entrances? If so, they're probably going to balk. The fact that they share the same roof doesn't keep them from being different households.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

Chances are pretty good that they'll set you up with two dual-tuner receivers.

Do the residences have independent entrances? If so, they're probably going to balk. The fact that they share the same roof doesn't keep them from being different households.

In practice, because it's the same family, that probably won't be a problem. If you were renting the room out to strangers, that would be a different issue.

The key to this whole thing is:

- Dual-output receivers count as "support for 2 TVs" and Dish will only lease receivers to support a total of 4 TVs. Beyond that, you must buy (to own) receivers for any additional TVs, and the cost to own is considerably higher than the discounted lease prices. You must also pay for any necessary installation or hardware needed for the additional receivers.

- Dual-output HD receivers/DVRs can only output standard-definition (SD) on the TV2 output. You can watch HD channels, but they'll be downconverted to SD. Only the TV1 output is HD. Keep this in mind when determining where you need HD. And you won't be able to do a lease upgrade for at least 12 months, so you need to project your needs at least that far into the future.

- Dual-output receivers CAN save on monthly programming costs IF they are connected to a phone line and/or Internet connection, because Dish will waive the $5/month mirroring fee for the 2nd TV. If you don't have the receiver connected, you'll pay for the TV2 just like if you had separate receivers. But, again, TV2 outputs are SD-only.

- You may have to pay an upfront lease fee to get exactly the receivers you want. Normally, for 4 TVs, Dish will give you a 2-room HD-DVR (622/722) and a 2-room HD receiver (222) for free, but you can pay to upgrade the 222 to a pair of 211s, or a 211 and a 612, or a pair of 612s.

- You'll get the same deals from a local retailer, so you might want to check there first, as then you'll have a local company to deal with who can better answer your questions (compared to a Dish CSR).

#7 OFFLINE   hollypc

hollypc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

In practice, because it's the same family, that probably won't be a problem. If you were renting the room out to strangers, that would be a different issue.

The key to this whole thing is:

- Dual-output receivers count as "support for 2 TVs" and Dish will only lease receivers to support a total of 4 TVs. Beyond that, you must buy (to own) receivers for any additional TVs, and the cost to own is considerably higher than the discounted lease prices. You must also pay for any necessary installation or hardware needed for the additional receivers.

- Dual-output HD receivers/DVRs can only output standard-definition (SD) on the TV2 output. You can watch HD channels, but they'll be downconverted to SD. Only the TV1 output is HD. Keep this in mind when determining where you need HD. And you won't be able to do a lease upgrade for at least 12 months, so you need to project your needs at least that far into the future.

- Dual-output receivers CAN save on monthly programming costs IF they are connected to a phone line and/or Internet connection, because Dish will waive the $5/month mirroring fee for the 2nd TV. If you don't have the receiver connected, you'll pay for the TV2 just like if you had separate receivers. But, again, TV2 outputs are SD-only.

- You may have to pay an upfront lease fee to get exactly the receivers you want. Normally, for 4 TVs, Dish will give you a 2-room HD-DVR (622/722) and a 2-room HD receiver (222) for free, but you can pay to upgrade the 222 to a pair of 211s, or a 211 and a 612, or a pair of 612s.

- You'll get the same deals from a local retailer, so you might want to check there first, as then you'll have a local company to deal with who can better answer your questions (compared to a Dish CSR).

Ok thanks everyone. I get it now. This is what I am going to do.

Game room and bedroom #1 are going to share the 2-room HD-DVR (622/722).

My dad's room and living room are going to share the -2room HD receiver (222).

My bedroom #2 is not going to have service right now.

What I figure I need in the future is another receiver for bedroom #2 and another 2-room HD-DVD system to split up the one I will be getting. My son uses the game room and often records 2 shows at once and my bedroom (#1) often records to shows at once - so we each need one of those.

Just so you know why I am being so complicated is I am finally going back to work tomorrow after being laid off for 6 months. I don't have the money to shell out now for the receivers that I want. In a month or so I will upgrade to them. This won't cost me anymore money thought right? Because they will only give me 4 tv's worth of equipment anyways - so I would have to purchase what I want anyways.

Also - if they give me a hard time about my dad's tv - can I have them install on another tv and switch it myself? Is dish hard wired like cable? Will they use the existing cable wires in the house or do they have to re-wire everything?
When I buy the extra receiver for the bedroom that won't currently have service can I install that myself?

Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

In a month or so I will upgrade to them. This won't cost me anymore money thought right? Because they will only give me 4 tv's worth of equipment anyways - so I would have to purchase what I want anyways.

Yes, you would have to purchase the additional receiver. Given that you're going to start with 2 receivers, and will almost certainly be installed with an "Eastern Arc" 1000.4 dish, your dish will be able to support 3 receivers without any extra costly switch hardware, so you've got a good plan so far.

Also - if they give me a hard time about my dad's tv - can I have them install on another tv and switch it myself?

They won't, but if they do, then, yes, you could move it yourself. It can be a little complicated, but we can help.

Is dish hard wired like cable? Will they use the existing cable wires in the house or do they have to re-wire everything?

Yes. Satellite requires RG6 coax, which is the same stuff the cable companies have been using since 1990 or so. Before that, they typically used thinner, lower-frequency-capable RG59 coax, which often isn't good enough for satellite. If that's what you've got, then you'll need it replaced, which is included in the installation. Note that the tech will only install to the rooms where the receivers are going (plus the TV2 for the dual-output receivers); he won't wire up extra rooms for free.

When I buy the extra receiver for the bedroom that won't currently have service can I install that myself?

Yes. You'll need to run an additional line from the dish to the receiver, as every receiver must be directly connected to the dish's LNB.

http://www.satellite...19&d=1210909907

The three ports on the left are outputs to receivers, with the right-most connector being an input for a "wing dish", which you won't need.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...