Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help me get rid of subwoofer hum?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JJEdwards

JJEdwards

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

I have an Infinity BU-2 12" powered subwoofer. It's about 10 years old.
I've been getting an unwanted low frequncy hum over the audio and can't seem to get rid of it. What causes it and how do I get rid of it? It annoyed me so much that I just unplugged the sub for now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bt-rtp

bt-rtp

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:38 AM

A hum in audio speakers can be caused by a couple different conditions. The most typical are:

• The audio wire(s) running in parallel to AC cords or AC outlet wiring in side walls or a ceiling. In this case, the audio wire is picking up what's called a 60 cycle hum.
  • Audio wires being placed near other sources of RFI/EMI. These include fluorescent light transformers, UPS/Battery power supplies, power strips, etc.
  • A hot ground could be the cause. This occurs when another electric appliance or device in the dwelling has failed and is passing electricity to the ground wire of its cord. This in turn makes all of the grounded outlets hot on their ground wire.
  • Dimmer knobs for lighting are fairly well known to cause audio hum.
  • Some people coil up AC electric cords when they are too long and leave them in a pile or all arranged together creating a type of coil, with audio cables adjacent to this coil it can be the cause of audio hum.
  • It's possible for an old malfunctioning GFI outlet to cause a hum as well.
  • Loose coax connections are known to be cause of "RF direct pickup", make sure everything is finger tight plus a little turn with a wrench to make it snug.
  • And last but not least (but mt favorite) is improper grounding in the dwelling.

Some of the above can be easily corrected and/or checked and tested yourself. Some of them require a skilled electrician to troubleshoot and resolve.

bt-rtp

Edited by bt-rtp, 05 March 2009 - 07:47 AM.

HR24-500 with AM21
HR21-200
HR20-700
HR20-100

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:41 AM

Did you try a different set of wires going to the sub? Sometimes wires/connectors go bad for one reason or another.

#4 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

Sometimes it is just a matter that one of the pieces of equipment is not properly grounded.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#5 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

Did you try a different set of wires going to the sub? Sometimes wires/connectors go bad for one reason or another.

9 out of 10 times this has solved it for me...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

spam firewall