Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Smaller HT speakers needed

mfh 2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:09 AM

I posted this on AVS and got quite a few responses...your turn:D

I moved several years ago from a house with a large living room to a townhouse with a smaller area for TV viewing. I have Kef Q65 fronts, Q55 surrounds, and Q100 center speakers. Because the area is not so big, these largish speakers block part of a hall entryway.

My wife finally said, "These are too big. What can you do about it?"

The issue is that the TV is on a console in a nook that used to be a wet bar. I've included an actual pic before we moved in (note the dark pink carpet). I removed the wet bar and there's now a console with a 52" DLP on it. It leaves about 7 inches on either side of the TV and about 2 feet above it. The console takes up the whole space width. The jpg shows the current speaker location (not to scale).

So the question is...What smaller speakers can I get thatsound good, are not in the way, and don't cost an arm and leg?

Attached Thumbnails

• Living Room.jpg
  • livingroom.GIF

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

I had a similar problem... I have a giant 57" projection TV and my floorstanding Wharfedales just took up way too much room given the size of the room. It was overkill, really. I ended up selling them and getting Quad L-ites. Don't let the "L-ite" deceive you... these things kick. Not sure how much you're willing to spend - I think the 5.1 system will run you around 1500.

#3 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,449 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

You might take a look at Paradigm speakers - if you are looking for bookshelf size speakers, check the Atom or Focus. Specifically, take a look at the Monitor series speakers. There are both bookshelf size and freestanding speakers in the series. They would probably coexist well with your Kells.

www.paradigm.com

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#4 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

Have you consider in-ceiling speakers? My wife had the same objection to my Epicure dual-woofer towers. When we upgraded the 36" CRT TV and tall armoire to the widescreen plasma, the towers no longer fit in with the furniture. I used SpeakerCraft AIM8 Three's for everything. They aren't cheap, but they do come in a range of models from about $200 each to $800 each. Sometimes you can find deals on eBay. I went with the "Three" model as it offered a good balance in price and performance. I think I paid around $300 each. I usually don't like in-ceiling speakers because they point toward the floor, but with the AIM series, the entire speaker pivots, not just the tweeter. My biggest complaint is a lack of bass, but I have a subwoofer for that anyhow.

#5 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:16 PM

Have you consider in-ceiling speakers?

I wish I could, but we have an open beam roof! If I cut holes - it would be a skylight!

Then again...maybe in the little overhang by the TV...hmmm...maybe some thought is in order.

#6 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

I wish I could, but we have an open beam roof! If I cut holes - it would be a skylight!

Then again...maybe in the little overhang by the TV...hmmm...maybe some thought is in order.

Unless you have a really old house, those open beams are not the actual rafters holding up the roof - they are just for looks. The will be another set of rafters and insulation sandwiched above the ceiling and below the real roof, so there would be a void there where you could install speakers. Of course fishing wire in those ceilings is a real PITA!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mfh 2

Protected By... spam firewall...And...