Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How long does it take you to download a show?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CalGal

CalGal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

Ok, finally hooked up! Yeah!

It just takes FOREVER to download a show to the DVR. I am thinking it is because the room where I connected it doesn't get the fasted wireless, even with my wireless, but I wanted to ask you guys how long it should take (I have a 7 mpbs speed cable modem.)

I may need to move it to the other DVR and see if that goes faster.

It is taking over 30 min. to download a 50 min. HD show.

Thanks,

Dawn

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

Ok, finally hooked up! Yeah!

It just takes FOREVER to download a show to the DVR. I am thinking it is because the room where I connected it doesn't get the fasted wireless, even with my wireless, but I wanted to ask you guys how long it should take (I have a 7 mpbs speed cable modem.)

I may need to move it to the other DVR and see if that goes faster.

It is taking over 30 min. to download a 50 min. HD show.

Thanks,

Dawn

That speed isn't bad for wireless. You can start watching it before the entire thing is downloaded.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#3 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

What show/channel?

I will test it tonight on my 6mbps DSL...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   CalGal

CalGal

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

I was downloading season 3 of Dexter from Showtime.

Dawn

#5 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

It takes me a little over an hour to download a 44 min episode of The Beast with a wireless G connection to a nominal 5-7 Mbps broadband cable internet connection on a good night.

2H/1J

#6 OFFLINE   CalGal

CalGal

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

Well, I am thinking that I underestimated the time because 4 hours later it was only on the third episode I asked it to download.

I think I need to pick shows before bed so that it can download while we aren't using the computer.

Dawn

It takes me a little over an hour to download a 44 min episode of The Beast with a wireless G connection to a nominal 5-7 Mbps broadband cable internet connection on a good night.

#7 OFFLINE   stsrep

stsrep

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

I started to download year of the dragon in HD yesterday when I left for work at 6:45 a.m.
When I got home at 5:15 37% had been downloaded.
What a crock.I stopped and deleted cause I was afraid of burning up my DVR it had been downloading for so long.
This system really seems useless unless D** is driving their chosen movies to you.
HR20-700,networked wireless.
Kinda ridiculous to even use this service.

#8 OFFLINE   SD493

SD493

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

I just hooked a wireless ethernet bridge (G) to my DVR. It's in the process of slowly downloading an HD movie. Would wireless N be significantly faster (not sure I will use the service enough to justify the cost)?

#9 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

I just hooked a wireless ethernet bridge (G) to my DVR. It's in the process of slowly downloading an HD movie. Would wireless N be significantly faster (not sure I will use the service enough to justify the cost)?

Even slow WiFi is faster than most internet connections.

#10 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

It takes me about 1 1/2 times the length of an HD show. SD is about real time. 5mbs DSL

#11 OFFLINE   n6nfg

n6nfg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:03 AM

I also have a 5 Mbs DSL connection, and find that SD tends to load at faster then real time (60 minute show takes around 40 minutes to load), so I can watch these after less then a minute of download without any hiccups. HD takes around 1.5x real time, so a 60 minute show takes around 90 minutes to load. I can reliably start these after less then 1/2 the show loads. The bandwidth used by these downloads will take at least 4 out of the 5 Mbs I have.

One this I noticed is if someone else in the house is using the internet for something fairly continuous (like my son playing online video games, or someone doing a VOIP call) then the total bandwidth used by everyone does NOT add up to the amount my ISP can deliver. For instance, a 4Mb movie download by itself, and a 1Mb video game by itself don't add up to the 5Mb I get from my ISP, I will only see around 3Mb total for both streams. It would seem that either my router, or something further downstream from me is added a bit of inefficiency when multiple streams are being delivered.
HR20-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#12 OFFLINE   angelzofmadness

angelzofmadness

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:28 AM

a 30 min (SD) show takes me about 20 mins to download on 6Meg DSL (ATT)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...