Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cellular Broadband Internet/Data Card for On Demand

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HRJustin

HRJustin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:31 AM

I was just curious if anyone has tried to use a cellular internet/data card to download Directv On Demand. My only source of internet is tethering my Alltel cell phone for internet. I have full EVDO signal at my house I get speeds of around 700-1200 kbps download and the upload is around 70-100 kbps the latency ranges from 150-350ms :(. I have an unlimited data plan right now for tethering I know Verizon has bought Alltel so they might try to enforce their cap of 5gb per month in which case I wouldn't be able to use Directv On Demand LOL. anyways as of right now I still have unlimited data usage.

I can share this internet from my desktop to a router and use wireless just like normal for my laptop. I just recently had an r-22 installed and am going to try running a cat5 cable from my router to test On Demand. I have played halo 3 with this connection while it was playable it did lag considerably. I figured if halo worked decently then On Demand should work good since ping isn't as much of an issue for just downloading.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

OnDemand will work, but as you know, the 5GB cap will be coming to you soon, so be careful. The overage charges are outrageous!

#3 OFFLINE   Schyler

Schyler

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

Yes, but I haven't used it since Sprint implemented their 5GB cap. <sigh> Honestly, though... the download times were very, very long at 1400kbps.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

Reports are that you need a minimum 3MB downstream to watch SD content in real time (1:1), 6MB for HD. I have a 1.5 DSL (shows 1.32 MB on speed meters) and it runs at approximately 2:1 (2 min for every 1 min of program) so those numbers seem pretty realistic. Your connection should be fine for downloading, but veiwing real time won't be an option. A cool feature, although I've not really tested it at any length, is the download status bar will change from red to green when you have enough headroom to begin watching the program.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#5 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

Yes, but I haven't used it since Sprint implemented their 5GB cap. <sigh> Honestly, though... the download times were very, very long at 1400kbps.

According to posts I've read at DSLReports, Sprint Mobile Broadband subscribers who had the service before a certian date are grandfathered in for unlimited usage with no caps. I'd do some research on this before you do any heavy downloading though.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#6 OFFLINE   Schyler

Schyler

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:28 AM

I am one of those grandfathered people. The problem is that the cap is still there, it's just a "soft" cap. If you go beyond 5GB there are no overage fees, and if you only do it a little bit or only once in a while, they won't hassle you. If you do it a lot, though, they'll start giving you warnings and eventually terminate your service if you don't comply.

I've read plenty of stories in the forums of people blowing by the 5GB cap like crazy and they still haven't been warned... but I suspect that it's only a matter of time.

I don't want to risk it because Sprint is basically my only option for (relatively) high-speed Internet access. Technically, I can get Verizon Wireless service, but because of the tower locations the speeds are slower and the latency is MUCH worse, making it nearly useless for gaming.

Besides, like I said... the download times are so prohibitive that I had pretty much stopped using DirecTV On Demand well before they started capping. An occasional music video, and that was about it.

I'd just as soon not get accustomed to liking DirecTV On Demand, anyway... usage caps are becoming more and more common, and they're likely to be a major problem for DirecTV's service in the future.

From what I've read, a standard definition DoD movie is around 4GB and a high definition one is around 8GB. Stack that against the standard 5GB wireless ISP cap, and it's pretty ugly. Now, stack those rates against Comcast's 250GB cap. If you watch one HD movie every day, that's almost your entire monthly usage.

I would like to think that when the wireless providers roll out 4G wireless over the next few years that the usage caps will be raised to better match the higher speeds... but I'm not optimistic.

#7 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:01 AM

Taken from the Comcast support page

"Why did Comcast choose 250 GB as its data usage threshold?
250GB is far beyond the current median of data usage for a typical residential Internet customer in a month, so this amount of data accommodates any reasonable definition of typical monthly residential usage.

To reach 250 GB in a month, for example, a customer would have to do any of the following:

Send 50 million plain text emails (at 5KB/email)
Download 62,500 songs (at 4 MB/song)
Download 125 standard-definition movies (at 2 GB/movie)
Upload 25,000 hi-resolution digital photos (at 10 MB/photo) "

Comment Added,

If a HD movie is 4GB that would give you 62 HD movies a month -anyone you needs to download that many movies, needs a better life and should be cut off (or) throttled back :)

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

If a HD movie is 4GB that would give you 62 HD movies a month ...

That would be a very short movie.

#9 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

I am one of those grandfathered people. The problem is that the cap is still there, it's just a "soft" cap. If you go beyond 5GB there are no overage fees, and if you only do it a little bit or only once in a while, they won't hassle you. If you do it a lot, though, they'll start giving you warnings and eventually terminate your service if you don't comply.

I've read plenty of stories in the forums of people blowing by the 5GB cap like crazy and they still haven't been warned... but I suspect that it's only a matter of time.

I don't want to risk it because Sprint is basically my only option for (relatively) high-speed Internet access. Technically, I can get Verizon Wireless service, but because of the tower locations the speeds are slower and the latency is MUCH worse, making it nearly useless for gaming.

Besides, like I said... the download times are so prohibitive that I had pretty much stopped using DirecTV On Demand well before they started capping. An occasional music video, and that was about it.

I'd just as soon not get accustomed to liking DirecTV On Demand, anyway... usage caps are becoming more and more common, and they're likely to be a major problem for DirecTV's service in the future.

From what I've read, a standard definition DoD movie is around 4GB and a high definition one is around 8GB. Stack that against the standard 5GB wireless ISP cap, and it's pretty ugly. Now, stack those rates against Comcast's 250GB cap. If you watch one HD movie every day, that's almost your entire monthly usage.

I would like to think that when the wireless providers roll out 4G wireless over the next few years that the usage caps will be raised to better match the higher speeds... but I'm not optimistic.

That makes sense, yeah I agree, I probably wouldn't want to push things too much if I was grandfathered in either. As big of a techie as I am I never owned a laptop. I have a network right now of 4 desktops and 2 PDAs but no laptop. Next computer I buy will be a laptop, and more than likely I'll get some type of mobile broadband access for it.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#10 OFFLINE   vansmack

vansmack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

I was grandfathered in with Sprint as well, but really don't push it. I have on occasion downloaded a few HD TV shows from OnDemand that the DVR missed and have yet to be contacted by Sprint about any overages (Sprint EVDO is our primary home internet connection).

It's not really possible to watch a show in real time (SD or HD), but an HD show set to DL overnight has always been finished by the morning.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...