Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Network Services?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jk-

jk-

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

hello everyone,

I just recently setup my VOD connection using the WGA600N (Purchased from DTV themselves) to my HR22. I made the first mistake of upgrading the firmware from Linksys website to the latest version (v1.05), which was making me pull my hair out wondering why I couldn't get my HR22 to go thru the full Wireless/Network setup (It would start to detect the device, but after would do nothing). After downgrading the firmware back to v1.00 I was able to get everything running thru my access point without any issues..

I had to create a seperate SSID on my access point for my HR22 since it looks like it didn't support any of the following characters (!@#$%^&*()), but overall I'm enjoying it alot and even being on a "G" network for the time being (I have an "N" access point coming later next week) the speeds for downloading movies, etc are pretty decent. The DirectTV2PC application is also pretty neat too!

I do have a question however, and it's related to the network services sub-folder option in the Network options. Can anyone please tell me what this is used for? I manually picked 2 ports and set my firewall up to allow them to my HR22, but I couldn't really find out anywhere what this will allow me to do...

I also have another question. Now that I have the internet connection setup I do not need a phone connection setup correct? I searched on the site but found conflicting statements whether you can still order PPV movies, sports packages, etc with the remote. I just want to make sure that having the internet connection the receiver can still talk with DirecTV, so that I can avoid any possible fines, etc..

Thanks for your help!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:30 AM

It's my understanding, and someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Network Services currently does anything. Mine passes, but only with manual settings. May have been tested in the past for future uses.

I don't think you need a phone connection if your DVRs are networked but then I don't order quickly-expiring PPVs either.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#3 OFFLINE   Sackett

Sackett

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:17 AM

As far as I understand, Network Services is not being used right now on the DVR's. They may use it it in the future.

#4 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

hello everyone,

I just recently setup my VOD connection using the WGA600N (Purchased from DTV themselves) to my HR22. I made the first mistake of upgrading the firmware from Linksys website to the latest version (v1.05), which was making me pull my hair out wondering why I couldn't get my HR22 to go thru the full Wireless/Network setup (It would start to detect the device, but after would do nothing). After downgrading the firmware back to v1.00 I was able to get everything running thru my access point without any issues..

I had to create a seperate SSID on my access point for my HR22 since it looks like it didn't support any of the following characters (!@#$%^&*()), but overall I'm enjoying it alot and even being on a "G" network for the time being (I have an "N" access point coming later next week) the speeds for downloading movies, etc are pretty decent. The DirectTV2PC application is also pretty neat too!

I do have a question however, and it's related to the network services sub-folder option in the Network options. Can anyone please tell me what this is used for? I manually picked 2 ports and set my firewall up to allow them to my HR22, but I couldn't really find out anywhere what this will allow me to do...

I also have another question. Now that I have the internet connection setup I do not need a phone connection setup correct? I searched on the site but found conflicting statements whether you can still order PPV movies, sports packages, etc with the remote. I just want to make sure that having the internet connection the receiver can still talk with DirecTV, so that I can avoid any possible fines, etc..

Thanks for your help!

You can leave it on for caller ID.

#5 OFFLINE   jk-

jk-

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

As far as the phone connection goes I'm not too concerned over losing the CallerID functionality as long as I won't get fined for not having a phone line plugged in, and of course can still order PPV using the remote, order sports packages without any issues, etc..

I've been watching my outbound firewall logs for the last couple of days and have noticed the receiver trying to go out on non-standard ports every now and then (Other than http port 80)... So perhaps this is the receiver trying to talk with DTV? Not sure..

Appreciate the responses everyone!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...