Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sirius Sportster 5 FM modulator

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

I know this really isn't a tech subforum, but any help/ suggestions would be appreciated. Anyway I picked up a factory referbed unit for a song the other day, and finely got it installed tonight, but for the life of me I can't get a clear signal out of the FM modulator. I tried that external FM antenna in every position possible (hell I even wrapped it around the FM antenna once to see if that would help), and could not get a static free sig off it. In Fact it's actually better without the external antenna hooked up. The vehicle in question is a 2006 Chevy Express van. It's radio has an excellent tuner in it, and picks up stations that my aftermarket Pioneer can't pull in so I don't think the radio is the problem. The Sirrius's external antenna does work. If I move it around the static will get worse, but never crystal clear. Is this something normal, or you think something is wrong with the FM mod part of the radio? Am I just going to have to get a direct connect adapter for it? I can't fathom that the Fm mod would be that bad in every unit sold that you'd need to direct connect it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

I know this really isn't a tech subforum, but any help/ suggestions would be appreciated. Anyway I picked up a factory referbed unit for a song the other day, and finely got it installed tonight, but for the life of me I can't get a clear signal out of the FM modulator. I tried that external FM antenna in every position possible (hell I even wrapped it around the FM antenna once to see if that would help), and could not get a static free sig off it. In Fact it's actually better without the external antenna hooked up. The vehicle in question is a 2006 Chevy Express van. It's radio has an excellent tuner in it, and picks up stations that my aftermarket Pioneer can't pull in so I don't think the radio is the problem. The Sirrius's external antenna does work. If I move it around the static will get worse, but never crystal clear. Is this something normal, or you think something is wrong with the FM mod part of the radio? Am I just going to have to get a direct connect adapter for it? I can't fathom that the Fm mod would be that bad in every unit sold that you'd need to direct connect it.

The FCC had all the FM modulator's turned way down on all the Sirius radio's . They did it a while back . What I had to do is a direct connect or get a FM modulator and hook it to your Sirius radio .

#3 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:05 AM

Using an FM modulator as an interface device is a quick and dirty solution. Unfortunately, the results are usually just that - dirty. The general problem is that there are so many FM stations in most markets it is difficult to find a clear frequency to use.

Scrap the modulator and use a direct connection. If that is impossible get one of the modulators that goes in-line with the radio antenna.

#4 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

The direct connector is really good. When the Sirius is on it cuts off the antenna. The sound is better than regular fm radio

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

spam firewall