Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21-700 Problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:14 AM

Been having problems with one (of two) HR21-700s. Very slow response to remote commands. Very slow to do anything.

Lately while playing recorded programs the playback has frozen for 15-20 seconds, then continued. This is happening more and more frequently. I've reset the DVR (RBR) and it has not helped.

Overnight I unplugged it, and when I plugged it in the morning it got stuck on "Checking Satellite Signals". Other two DVRs (HR21-700 and HR20-700) are fine.

Any suggestions before I call DirecTV and ask for a replacement?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

Any suggestions before I call DirecTV and ask for a replacement?
Thanks!

You could try swapping the bad DVR with a good DVR (if you have easy access). This would determine if the box is bad or the wiring is bad.

:)

#3 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

Swapped bad (downstairs) and good (upstairs) HR21-700s. Problem moved with the DVR. I guess at 15 months of service, the HR21-700 has had it. Amazing how our Tivos are still working after years.

Guess I have to go through DirecTV Customer Service now to get this replaced. Good thing I bought the protection plan. Who knew that their electronics would only last 15 months.

#4 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Got a good CSR; ran through troubleshooting steps (again) and a replacement is being shipped....

#5 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

I guess at 15 months of service, the HR21-700 has had it. Amazing how our Tivos are still working after years.

Never know how long they will last. My first HR20 crashed after three months. The replacement HR20 has been good for over 2 years.

:)

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,711 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:39 PM

..... Amazing how our Tivos are still working after years.

Guess I have to go through DirecTV Customer Service now to get this replaced. Good thing I bought the protection plan. Who knew that their electronics would only last 15 months.

A lot of Tivo-based DVRs are long dead, too.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:05 PM

A lot of Tivo-based DVRs are long dead, too.

I had a lot more trouble with TiVos than I'm having now with the HRs. Seemed as if getting 3 or 4 months out of a TiVo hard drive was normal. I had 12 of them running when I started to switch to the HRs. Just didn't trust the TiVos.

Now, everyone who has had a TiVo working for "years" can add their 2 cents. Anybody wanna buy a couple with really large hard drives in them? I've still got a lot of them.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

Yes, we have had Tivos have died - although I never had one die in 15 months, and yes, count me in the group of people who much prefer the Tivos to the HR21s. My HR20-700 is fine, but the 21-700s have not been as good. I have two Tivos running in the house today with at least 3 years on them. One a lot more.

We'll see what I get in the mail.

Hope it lasts more than 15 months.

In the meantime, I moved one of those old crummy, worthless Tivos to the spot where the dead fantastic HR21-700 used to be.

#9 OFFLINE   rbaron

rbaron

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

I am having the same problems with my DVR. Picture freezing for 10-30 seconds. I guess I should call DirecTV and request a new one.

Question:

Is there a way to copy the recorded shows from the freezing DVR to say a computer or to the new DVR when it comes?

#10 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

Is there a way to copy the recorded shows from the freezing DVR to say a computer or to the new DVR when it comes?

No, there is not.

Steve

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

I am having the same problems with my DVR. Picture freezing for 10-30 seconds. I guess I should call DirecTV and request a new one.

Question:

There is, but I've never done it. I have so many HRs that all my content is backed up at least three times so losing programming is damn near impossible. You might do a search for it using the Search function of the forum located at the top of the page on the TABs section. Or perhaps someone that has done it can answer your question. Anyone???

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

You can use a capture card to get the shows to your PC, and you can copy the hard drive but the shows would only be viewable in the same DVR they were recorded on, so you cant move the drive to another dvr. They are not copy-able like divx or avi files, they are an encrypted stream, married to the dvr they were recorded on.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

You can use a capture card to get the shows to your PC, and you can copy the hard drive but the shows would only be viewable in the same DVR they were recorded on, so you cant move the drive to another dvr. They are not copy-able like divx or avi files, they are an encrypted stream, married to the dvr they were recorded on.

Could have sworn I'd read posts about doing it and using another HR to view the content. Wrong again?

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

I'm afraid so.

Steve

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...