Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D*, please re-design DOD!!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

DTV, thanks for the onDemand stuff, but it is just too clunky to use. How about some re-design and changes? Here's my .02:

1. Why do you call it "on demand" when I have to add it to a queue? When we go to the in-laws and they have *gasp, cable, *gasp, "on demand", we can find the show quickly and hit "play" and after 15 seconds or less it starts playing. No queues, no nothing. No additional key presses!! DTV - Please give me an option to PLAY it instead of adding to the queue, then having the view the queue, then having to select the program, then having to select play. Geez, 4 keystrokes to 1 keystroke. I don't go to on demand to queue up a bunch of stuff - I go to on demand to watch a show ON DEMAND. Coupled with the fact that the remote response on these boxes is absolutely horrific, this just spells frustration for my wife and kids (who have both decided that DOD is not worth the trouble).

2. Please fix your category sorts. If I choose Kids shows and see only 2 listings for Bob The Builder, but then go to Sprout and see 7 listings, or ALL shows and see 7 listings, then there is something wrong. Once again, frustrating the heck out of my 5 yr old.

3. How about making the interface more polished? This is one thing where *gasp, the cable company, *gasp, gets is right. Their On Demand is so much easier to use than DTVs. Once again, on the in-laws on-demand system, My 5 year old can find his shows quickly by category. On DTV, he has no clue how to find his shows - you need some sort of encryption to figure out what the show name is half the time and the other half of the time he doesn't know that channel 1245 is Noggin on demand!

This thing (DOD) has so much potential - please polish this thing up - hire some graphic designers and make this thing look sharp!!! Fix your sorts and find a way to display the program information in a way that even a 5 year old could use it and you'll have me using it often (and you'll make my wife and kids happy). Until then it is just another useless feature.

Once again, just my .02....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   flippedout

flippedout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

DoD is in need of improvement. Since the Beta period, nothing has changed except the word Beta was removed. The category sorts are horrible but that might be because of the way the program is tagged by the content provider and not D*. If that is the case, I do not think there is anything D* can do.

Two areas of improvement and then I might start using it again...
1) HD Content - If I find a program I am interested in 9 times out of 10 I can find it on the program guide and schedule it to record at a later date and usually in HD.
2) GUI - The GUI is slow, feels almost as bad as Media Share.

Final thought, why call is DoD when you have to wait for a portion of it to be downloaded before beginning to view. Instead of DirecTV on Demand it should be called Download on Demand. I just do not see how this will be competitive when it requires customers to have a screaming fast connection. The only options for me are 1.5 Mbps DSL or cable and I will never give another $ to Comcast. For those with a 3 or 6 meg connection or FiOS, I'm sure this works great but unfortunately the FCC has been dragging their *** for so long this country is horribly behind in broadband deployment.

Way too much information in that rant, but to the OP's point - yes, D* should fix DoD but I bet the low subscriber numbers push this way down the priority list. They can say they offer it and that's about all for now.

#3 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

DoD is in need of improvement. Since the Beta period, nothing has changed except the word Beta was removed. The category sorts are horrible but that might be because of the way the program is tagged by the content provider and not D*. If that is the case, I do not think there is anything D* can do.

1) HD Content - If I find a program I am interested in 9 times out of 10 I can find it on the program guide and schedule it to record at a later date and usually in HD.

Final thought, why call is DoD when you have to wait for a portion of it to be downloaded before beginning to view. Instead of DirecTV on Demand it should be called Download on Demand. I just do not see how this will be competitive when it requires customers to have a screaming fast connection. The only options for me are 1.5 Mbps DSL or cable and I will never give another $ to Comcast. For those with a 3 or 6 meg connection or FiOS, I'm sure this works great but unfortunately the FCC has been dragging their *** for so long this country is horribly behind in broadband deployment.

Way too much information in that rant, but to the OP's point - yes, D* should fix DoD but I bet the low subscriber numbers push this way down the priority list. They can say they offer it and that's about all for now.

you hit the nail on the head - they can say they offer it.

It is just another clunky ugly piece of crap IYAM. I tried to teach my son to use it and he got frustrated quickly. Luckily he can use our Tivo upstairs.

Once again, D* comes up short and throws a piece of junk out there LONG before it is ready for prime time (kinda like the HR series DVRs)

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

Keep in mind that the cable companies have been doing OnDemand for 5 or more years already, and that they spent a lot of time and money on it because they were getting their behinds beat by satellite. It was HUGELY important for cable.

OnDemand is not YET very important for satellite, and it is still very new. The vast, overwhemling majority of sat customers can't use it because either they don't have an HD-DVR or their HD-DVR isn't networked. And it's barely out of Beta.

I'm sure we'll see many improvements going forward, but keep in mind that if you use OnDemand right now, you're among the less-than-1% of DirecTV subscribers that does. Without a doubt, that number will grow, and the growth will put pressure on DirecTV to make improvements, but for now, be happy you have access to all the extra content. That doesn't mean you shouldn't report any issues you have, but understand that development cycles are long. DirecTV could have waited until everything was polished, but if that was the case, it might have delayed the rollout for 2 years. I'd rather have it as it is now than wait that long for polish.

#5 OFFLINE   Struff

Struff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

I actually like the interface. IMO it's much less confusing than the OD interface that my mom has on her cable in FL.

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

Keep in mind that the cable companies have been doing OnDemand for 5 or more years already, and that they spent a lot of time and money on it because they were getting their behinds beat by satellite. It was HUGELY important for cable.

OnDemand is not YET very important for satellite, and it is still very new. The vast, overwhemling majority of sat customers can't use it because either they don't have an HD-DVR or their HD-DVR isn't networked. And it's barely out of Beta.

I'm sure we'll see many improvements going forward, but keep in mind that if you use OnDemand right now, you're among the less-than-1% of DirecTV subscribers that does. Without a doubt, that number will grow, and the growth will put pressure on DirecTV to make improvements, but for now, be happy you have access to all the extra content. That doesn't mean you shouldn't report any issues you have, but understand that development cycles are long. DirecTV could have waited until everything was polished, but if that was the case, it might have delayed the rollout for 2 years. I'd rather have it as it is now than wait that long for polish.

You forgot one more important thing--Most (NOT ALL) D* subscribers have D* because cable is not in their (Zipcode) which means also that High speed internet is even futher away.

The Cable co's use combined bandwidth for HSI and TV and we know the D* sub knows which service has the better picture for it.

#7 OFFLINE   karlhenri

karlhenri

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

You forgot one more important thing--Most (NOT ALL) D* subscribers have D* because cable is not in their (Zipcode) which means also that High speed internet is even futher away.

Disagree. In most metro areas, which represent the largest population concentration in the country, there are other options. I'd venture that DirectV is the only option only in rural areas or very small agglomerations. I think most Directv subscribers subscribe by choice, not by necessity.

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

You're right that the majority of folks have some kind of high-speed Internet option, but in reality, most folks have the cheapest, lowest-speed option available to them. For a huge number of people, that means 1.5 MB download DSL, which isn't what you want for a good DoD experience. But most folks right now won't pay for anything more just for DoD.

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

What?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#10 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

I have to disagree that "most" D* subscribers choose it because they don't have cable. I am sure some people fall into this category, but I'll bet "most" D* subscribers have cable as a choice, but instead chose D* due to things like content (sports packages), better quality (an all digital signal) and not being "tied" to cable (like when it's out for weeks due to downed lines).

As for the thread topic, I don't have much of a problem with DOD. I use it occasionally, but it's not a "staple" of my TV viewing. For example, last year, I used it to download all the Dexter episodes (we missed them when they were first-run). I also used it a lot during the 2008 Summer Olympics. Sometimes I browse around to see what's available and find something interesting, sometimes not. I do tend to filter it so I see only HD content, and that helps pare down the list considerably.

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

I don't have a problem with it either as I use it the exact same way (Dexter last year, Olympics, occasional kids shows). No big deal to me that I have to go to list and hit play Which is actually only 2 button presses - list, play - not 4 like the OP states (assuming it's the first think in the list, which it should be if you just added it to the queue).

So while DOD isn't perfect, it's only 1 extra button push from what the OP wants, I never have a problem finding stuff via the sort options (but I'm not a power user), and my 6 year old has no problem finding his shows.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#12 OFFLINE   vict

vict

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

I have to disagree that "most" D* subscribers choose it because they don't have cable. I am sure some people fall into this category, but I'll bet "most" D* subscribers have cable as a choice, but instead chose D* due to things like content (sports packages), better quality (an all digital signal) and not being "tied" to cable (like when it's out for weeks due to downed lines).

It would be interesting to see the statistics. My parents live in rural Idaho, and I know they subscribe to D* because they can't get cable, nor can they get broadband internet (not sure if they would choose cable if they had the choice though). The crazy thing is they only live 5 miles out of town, and it's been like that for 30 years. So I doubt they'll have a choice anytime soon, and I know they'd rather have broadband access than cable access.

I would think it's expensive to run new cable out to these areas, which is probably why it hasn't happened.

#13 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

It would be interesting to see the statistics.

Yes, it definitely would. The only thing I could find is that 69% of D* subs live in "A/B" counties (http://www.directvad...IT_DOWNLOAD.pdf) An "A" county is one in the largest 25 US metropolitan areas and a "B" county is one with a population over 150,000. Of course being in an A/B county doesn't guarantee you'd have cable, but it makes itmore likely than rural areas.

I know in our neighborood, at least a third of the houses (maybe closer to half) have a DBS dish attached. I don't know how many are active, but at least it shows that at sometime in the past, these cable-capable homeowners chose it over cable.

#14 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 916 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

DoD was so easy to use with AT&T Uverse, but a PITA to use with DirecTV. Shouldn't have to connect to the internet to get DoD from a satellite company IMO.

#15 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

Price as well comcast wants just about the full price of Direct TV HD DVR pack for the digital preferred with only a basic box HD and DVR more + you need to get the sports pack to get channels that are in Direct TV HD DVR pack.
Less HD and smaller DVR's as well on cable.

#16 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

DoD was so easy to use with AT&T Uverse, but a PITA to use with DirecTV. Shouldn't have to connect to the internet to get DoD from a satellite company IMO.

Right now, they just don't have the bandwidth to beam it from the satellites. I can understand how connecting IRD's to The Internet might seem daunting when compared to connecting a cable box, but it's really not much different and in some way it's easier. With the cable box, your only choice is a coax cable. For D* Internet connectivity, you can choose to hardwire it with CAT5, go wireless or powerline Ethernet. The future may even bring some sort of Ethernet over DBS coax solution.

#17 OFFLINE   flippedout

flippedout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

I definitely agree the cable co's have a head start. D*'s version is pretty good but clearly needs some work. I would be curious to know how many subs actually use DoD / even have their STB connected to the network/Internet. I assume (and you know what that means) the numbers are relatively low and therefore there is not much of a financial incentive to bump of the service. I am sure it would be a better experience if my connection was faster. What kills me is I am right off major highways, roads, etc here in Atlanta (not in the sticks but 10 minutes from Buckhead) with fiber running all around me but AT&T seems hesitant to upgrade our area - very frustrating b/c I would pay for it.

On the topic of why people select D*, I highly doubt the majority is because they don't want cable. Most subs I know (D* and E*, some U-Verse) adamantly hate Comcast and would never switch back. According to NCTA, 124.6 million homes in the US have cable access as a choice. Of those, 104 million actually have service. (http://www.ncta.com/Statistics.aspx). In 2000, the last census, there were approximately 119 million homes. Even considering the ridiculous number of homes built in the past 9 years, I would say this penetration rate is really high meaning the majority of customers do, in fact, have a choice.

Just my 2 cents.

#18 OFFLINE   ghfiii

ghfiii

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

For D* Internet connectivity, you can choose to hardwire it with CAT5, go wireless or powerline Ethernet.

The future may even bring some sort of Ethernet over DBS coax solution.

The future just not this past...
two systems 10Base2 10Base5... coax solution sorta. Problems, speed 10Mbit/s and baseband not broadband, and let's not forget the converters to 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T (Gigabit Ethernet).

how quickly we move on. It all just :kickbutt: and makes need multiple :icon_hug::icon_hug:

Well as they say ignore the old guy yelling at the kids to "Get off my grass!" :backtotop

#19 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:41 AM

If that's the case, why does cable do a better job in cat. sorts?
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#20 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:30 AM

I don't have a problem with it either as I use it the exact same way (Dexter last year, Olympics, occasional kids shows). No big deal to me that I have to go to list and hit play Which is actually only 2 button presses - list, play - not 4 like the OP states (assuming it's the first think in the list, which it should be if you just added it to the queue).

So while DOD isn't perfect, it's only 1 extra button push from what the OP wants, I never have a problem finding stuff via the sort options (but I'm not a power user), and my 6 year old has no problem finding his shows.

Key Press #1 = Press Enter on Add to Queue
Key Press #2 = Yellow button to View Queue
Key Press #3 = Press Enter to Select Show
Key Press #4 = Press View/Play Show

vs. Cable's OD:

Key Press #1 = Play

Much more than "only 1 extra button push"

Edited by DrummerBoy523, 10 March 2009 - 08:41 AM.

spam firewall