Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D*, please re-design DOD!!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

DoD is in need of improvement. Since the Beta period, nothing has changed except the word Beta was removed. The category sorts are horrible but that might be because of the way the program is tagged by the content provider and not D*. If that is the case, I do not think there is anything D* can do.

Two areas of improvement and then I might start using it again...
1) HD Content - If I find a program I am interested in 9 times out of 10 I can find it on the program guide and schedule it to record at a later date and usually in HD.
2) GUI - The GUI is slow, feels almost as bad as Media Share.

Final thought, why call is DoD when you have to wait for a portion of it to be downloaded before beginning to view. Instead of DirecTV on Demand it should be called Download on Demand. I just do not see how this will be competitive when it requires customers to have a screaming fast connection. The only options for me are 1.5 Mbps DSL or cable and I will never give another $ to Comcast. For those with a 3 or 6 meg connection or FiOS, I'm sure this works great but unfortunately the FCC has been dragging their *** for so long this country is horribly behind in broadband deployment.

Way too much information in that rant, but to the OP's point - yes, D* should fix DoD but I bet the low subscriber numbers push this way down the priority list. They can say they offer it and that's about all for now.

If that's the case, why does cable do a better job in cat. sorts?

agreed myselfalso.. the cat sorts are horrible.

The intent of my OP was to gripe about another D* feature that is just a piece of crap and release way ahead of schedule just so they can say they have it. Maybe get D* to do something right for a change. I want D* to totally be the best because I believe in them and have been loyal for a long, long time.

So, IMO, If this thing was cleaned up and polished, maybe people would use it. It could really be a flagship for D*, but when I can't even figure out how to get to a point to scroll down on the program descriptions (you have to hit the LEFT arrow key, not the Up arrow key even though the description is above where the button on which the yellow focus is... just one example).

That's all..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

Key Press #1 = Press Enter on Add to Queue
Key Press #2 = Yellow button to View Queue
Key Press #3 = Press Enter to Select Show
Key Press #4 = Press View/Play Show

vs. Cable's OD:

Key Press #1 = Play

Much more than "only 1 extra button push"

You don't need to View Queue
You don't need to enter to select show (the default is that the top show will be highlighted)

1. Add to Queue
2. List
3. Play

So, 2 more button presses than just hitting Play on Cable (assuming that's all you have to do), which take a total of less than 2 seconds. I don't think that's necessarily an issue.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#23 OFFLINE   philherz

philherz

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

I came from Time Warner (& Adelphia before they crashed) for 15+ years and I will say that their On Demand was definitely superior. (Once they got all the bugs out!)

DoD isn't great, but it works fine for me to get stuff I don't need to watch immediately, so I have to plan ahead a bit.

Now, with all of the other cable issues that were way worse than anything I have with D*, I'll gladly forego their On Demand and higher prices for a little inconvenience!!!!!!!

#24 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

Key Press #1 = Press Enter on Add to Queue
Key Press #2 = Yellow button to View Queue
Key Press #3 = Press Enter to Select Show
Key Press #4 = Press View/Play Show

vs. Cable's OD:

Key Press #1 = Play

Much more than "only 1 extra button push"

You're dealing with different technologies that simply aren't feature-identical.

Cable actually uses dedicated Internet bandwidth to deliver their OnDemand content in real-time. There are copies of all of the content at the head-end of the local cable system franchise, which is likely located in your town. That head-end only has to serve the folks in your town or the surrounding couple of towns.

Satellite covers the entire country with the same content, with the exception of the spotbeams that carry unique local channels to various regions. But there's no where near enough bandwidth on the satellites to allow people all over the country to download unique content. So, satellite also uses an Internet connection to get the OnDemand content to you. But unlike the cable company (which is also an ISP and has infrastructure to deliver IPTV on it's own system), the sat companies don't have a local Internet infrastructure. You have to provide your own Internet connection, and your download speed will be limited to something less than your max Internet connection speed, which for many people is much slower than is needed to be able to watch a TV show in real-time.

DirecTV designed their system with this limitation in mind, so it's set up for you to Download the content in advance to the DVR, and then watch it off the hard drive. That ensures that you get watchable video even on a slow connection. But it also means that many people won't be able to watch shows in real time, like you could on cable. That's why we refer to it as DoD (Download on Demand) instead of just OnDemand.

It's one of many tradeoffs that you have to make. Here's an opposite example: if you have an RV, and subscribe to cable, you won't get non-OTA TV when you travel, and there's no way cable can "upgrade" to make that happen. But you can easily get sat TV when you travel, because of the difference in the way the systems are designed.

The good news is that every year, the average Internet connection speed in the US goes up. ISPs are upgrading their systems to keep up with increasing demand, as well as their competition, and eventually most folks will be able to download shows fast enough for real-time viewing. People who don't want to wait for that may be able to pay for a faster tier of connection speed from their current ISP, or switch ISPs to one that offers faster connections.

#25 OFFLINE   angelzofmadness

angelzofmadness

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:30 AM

I agree with allot of the original posters wants however if you wanna see HORRIBLE check out Dish Networks "on demand" interface. Its a list of shows with NO organization what so ever. So directv's is a blessing in comparison.

#26 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:51 AM

I agree with allot of the original posters wants however if you wanna see HORRIBLE check out Dish Networks "on demand" interface. Its a list of shows with NO organization what so ever. So directv's is a blessing in comparison.

Wow I guess so. I think D* could improve it more but I wont complain to bad except for I would like to see more channels available on it for downloadable content.

#27 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

The only concern that I've had was the restricted bandwidth on their end. I haven't tried it in a couple of months but I went to get a HD PPV on demand and by the time it finished downloading I had no time to watch it. The only thing I can suggest is that you never try to watch a PPV while downloading with on demand. Always let it download first then buy it. I ended up paying for a movie I never finished watching. I didn't think about the download time so it was my fault but just a heads up.

Otherwise I think the interface is fine and of course more options will always be better but overall the stuff I've wanted from it have been fine.

#28 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

I would like to see folders for shows like the DVR, instead of every show being in a list.

#29 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

I would like to see new shows in HD, instead of wading through the entire listing.

Another thing that is of major concern, most of the broadband providers are starting to implement caps, and this is going to really squash all the good that can come of On-Demand(unless of course you are using their(the cable cos) on-demand). Anti-competitive.

#30 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

I am not a power DOD user at all. As some people have mentioned, I use it once in a while to download some shows for the kids etc. So I am fine with the current UI.
While we are on the topic of UI and cable companies though, I had posted a while back on how glad I am that I have DirecTV DVR and its UI compared to cable for doing all other functions though....

#31 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,468 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

I like the current format, but would like to be able to block the PPV selections from the menu. For the little ones, out of site, out of mind.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...