Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sirius XM Radio planning to stream to iPhone, iPod - maybe bundle with DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

http://tech.yahoo.co...c_sirius_iphone

Financially struggling Sirius XM Radio Inc. is planning to stream its subscription radio service to the iPhone and iPod Touch devices from Apple Inc. beginning this spring.

By streaming its music, sports and talk channels to users of the iPhone and iPod Touch, Sirius can give its existing subscribers another way to access content and let new customers sign up without buying new radios, CEO Mel Karmazin said.

Sirius also sees opportunities to bundle its satellite radio service with TV packages from DirecTV Group Inc. DirecTV's controlling shareholder is Liberty Media Corp., which rescued Sirius from a debt bind last month with a $530 million investment. Karmazin said he has met with DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and Liberty CEO Greg Maffei over the past few days.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

This sounds cool. Since moving recently, I have a very short commute and haven't been giving my XM a very good workout. This would give me another way to get my money's worth.
HR20-700 HR21-700 R15-500

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:30 AM

This is great! I've been wanting to get rid of a few of my radios.

#4 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:01 AM

With free apps like Pandora and Slacker I don't think this will be selling many new subs. Or keeping existing ones. But nonetheless it's probably a necessary step for them.

#5 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:09 AM

With free apps like Pandora and Slacker I don't think this will be selling many new subs. Or keeping existing ones.

Agree. As mentioned in another thread, I've been playing with Slacker for a few days and love it (when it works). My radio is going in today for a swap (locks up). When I get the replacement I'll be able to judge the product better, but it certainly looks like an XM replacement on the music side. People are even creating their own "stations" that do a good job of copying XM stations. One of the great things with Slacker is that you can create a station and share it with all other users and even load it into your player. I've been listening (on line since my player broke) to a station called "B3 with a Leslie" created by a user that I have been really enjoying. Nothing like a good B3 jazz player.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#6 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

If I can get the sports channels then I may sign up. I got XM mainly for the sports anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

Agree. As mentioned in another thread, I've been playing with Slacker for a few days and love it (when it works). My radio is going in today for a swap (locks up). When I get the replacement I'll be able to judge the product better, but it certainly looks like an XM replacement on the music side. People are even creating their own "stations" that do a good job of copying XM stations. One of the great things with Slacker is that you can create a station and share it with all other users and even load it into your player. I've been listening (on line since my player broke) to a station called "B3 with a Leslie" created by a user that I have been really enjoying. Nothing like a good B3 jazz player.

About to reply in your "Slacker" thread...

#8 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:29 AM

as I said on a different site this doesn't mean much to me in what will probably be a crippled subset of the full XM channel list. I am not 'typical' in that I listen primarily to channel 164 - Radio Classics and that is not one of the channels they have provided to the XM Online service. I recognize this is not the typical for the xm subscriber so if this does help them great but it won't help me.
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#9 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:54 AM

Wait...does this mean I'll be able to listen to Stern on my iPod?

#10 OFFLINE   Retro

Retro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

I already have an XM subscription and IPhone, so this is good for me, especially if the channel selection is not limited..

Sirius's losses have been declining, so as the merger has settled in they are on the path to profits near the end of the year. I think for a while there new people held off buying satellite radio to see how the merger would pan out.. Probably the same with car makers/dealers.. Still, a good cheap stock to buy because i could see another major media company buying them if they profits don't increase as expected..

#11 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

I look forward to this
the value isn't just getting music out of my iPhone
its an iPod for goodness sake
but being able to get Sirius on my phone would be great
how much more will the service cost though

#12 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

I'm an XM subscriber with an iPhone so I think that this is great, especially if I can listen to the MLB games on my iPhone!

#13 OFFLINE   rbgator95

rbgator95

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

What makes this "cool" is if AK/HI subs can use their iphones and finally have Sirius in their cars. Of course that depends on if the 3G and cellular networks can support the app. Been holding off on iphone since I've heard iheartradio and AOLRadio don't work too well outside of Wi-Fi...

#14 OFFLINE   j2fast

j2fast

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

I've seen several folks in different places predict this is basically not be worth anything because of the existence on things like Slacker and Pandora. My I'm in the minority but when I'm listening to Sirius its as much for things like ESPN Radio, live ESPN TV broadcasts (PTI, Sports Center,etc), some news and the like as it is music. These internet radio services while cool do nothing for me really because music isn't my main draw. Personally I think getting Sirius through the iPhone,etc will be very cool.
ID10T or PEBCAK, there can be more than one...

My Current Setup

#15 OFFLINE   nvwhite

nvwhite

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

Sirius already streams many channels including Stern on the net there is 3rd party software that is better than the Sirius web streamer. One company is activly working on an iPhone version. I wonder what this announcement does to these 3rd party apps?

#16 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

I just hope it helps Sirius XM. I have no interest in an iPhone or iPod.

#17 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

You can count on this service being over-priced. Look at the players involved...Apple, AT&T and Mel. When I got my first Windows Mobile device, it had an XM player that required a $7.99/month fee regardless of your sub status with XM. Also wondering how using this service may work against your 5 GB cap?

I'm so discouraged by the bland sound of XM/Sirius and the extreme pricing of AT&T. Sometimes I feel like just dropping all of these services. My cell phone bill, with 4 phones, is $225/month.

If your looking for this package to include MLB...you won't have to wait long...it is not included. MLB wants $4.99/month for MLB Mobile.

#18 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

About to reply in your "Slacker" thread...

Replied to your reply in the "Slacker" thread. ;)
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#19 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:29 AM

There was StarPlayr, I was following the development of the app for a few weeks but it was offically pronounced dead a few days ago then Sirius XM comes out with this announcement. And it looks like it won't even be released for jailbroken phones. :(

http://www.modmyi.co...-starplayr.html

I'm really curious if it will be wifi only, or if it will work with 3G or Edge as well. Or maybe a lower bitrate option will be offered so you can listen over AT&Ts network. Not sure if I would sign up for internet streaming for this or not. I never really used it, most of the time I used it on my PDA using XStreamXM or SiriusCE. It was great however falling asleep to XM a few years ago when I was in Philly. I used my Pocket PC to stream XM Radio Online and plugged in the earbuds from my iPod.

When I got my first Windows Mobile device, it had an XM player that required a $7.99/month fee regardless of your sub status with XM. Also wondering how using this service may work against your 5 GB cap?

I'm so discouraged by the bland sound of XM/Sirius and the extreme pricing of AT&T. Sometimes I feel like just dropping all of these services. My cell phone bill, with 4 phones, is $225/month.

What did you use to stream XM on Windows Mobile? And was this a PDA or Smartphone? If PDA, while there were third party ways to do it, XM never had an official way to stream on Windows Mobile, unless it was integrated in Windows Media Player for WM6, I know that wasn't the case with Windows 2003 or Windows 5. So I'm curious as to what came stock with the Windows Mobile device to allow you to do this. If Smartphone, XM had agreements with a handful of providers, Alltel was one and maybe Sprint was another, this was a service that was provided through your cell phone provider and you paid them for it, you weren't paying XM directly, and I believe the channel selection was very limited. Would have been better to use the cell phone providers data access and stream with a third party site for free provided you had an XM account.

With taxes I'll be paying about $100/month for AT&T Wireless for my iPhone, just got it Saturday, so I'm not sure exactly how much it will cost, and thats just 1 phone on the basic 450 minute plan, so $225 for 4 phones sounds reasonable. I do agree though, depending on what you want AT&T is a rip. If it wasn't for the iPhone I would have never considered them, in fact I'm still keeping my Nextel account, which is about $100 as well, but for two phones. My iPhone will very rarley be used as a phone.

And on a side note, before people get all excited about streaming on an iPod, make sure you have an iPod Touch.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#20 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

I would subscribe to Sirius Xm-if they made the rest of the channels on Direct tv. I can't get Sirius for the home because I can only use the radio in one room and we always had signal issues.. I would have to see what they would add first. Like i say if they can make it more like Fm where you can use it anywhere in the house then i would have sirius- I have a really great c.crane radio so i can get stations as far 200 miles away. Max.

spam firewall