Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sirius XM Radio planning to stream to iPhone, iPod - maybe bundle with DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   inourgrave

inourgrave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

I'm an XM subscriber with an iPhone so I think that this is great, especially if I can listen to the MLB games on my iPhone!

There is an app for MLB, and it will have gameday audio...release date is 1apr09

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dvdnut59

dvdnut59

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:47 PM

A friend has XM in his GMC truck.Can he buy the song he likes?Put it on Ipod?Even if it is not free? Thanks

#23 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Why couldn't he? You can't do it on demand, but he can listen to XM, then download the song on iTunes when he gets home or is in a wifi hot spot with his iPhone or iPod Touch. This is for internet radio streaming, not receiving XM via the satellites. And I'm sure there will be some kind of tie in with the Sirius XM app that allow you to purchase a song currently playing with one touch from the iTMS. XM and the iPhone/iPod Touch will not be integrated, all that is going on is listening to XM's Online Service via an internet connection, just like you can do at home, or do with Pandora on an iPhone currently.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#24 OFFLINE   jpk

jpk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

. . . access content . . .

Say what?

I think this means "listen to music" or "listen to the radio" or "listen to audio" or "listen to XM Radio".

Yours for correct use of "content",

-- Jon

#25 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

Steve...you are correct, there are third party apps that I could, and did, use. I'm just saying that, out of the box, if I wasn't saavy enough to figure out that third party apps existed, AT&T wanted $7.99/month for their watered down version of XM online. This is why I wouldn't get too excited about an IPOD/IPhone app.

#26 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

Steve...you are correct, there are third party apps that I could, and did, use. I'm just saying that, out of the box, if I wasn't saavy enough to figure out that third party apps existed, AT&T wanted $7.99/month for their watered down version of XM online. This is why I wouldn't get too excited about an IPOD/IPhone app.

But that was a service offered through AT&T not XM, this will be just like listening to XMRO through your computer or using third party apps on a WM device, all channels XM offers on XMRO should be available through the iPhone app. It won't be the full XM line up that you get from the satellites since there's rights issues with the sports and talk content, but all the music channels will be offered along with some talk. XM via cell phone was implemented pretty lame I agree.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Down With Verizon!

#27 OFFLINE   KemoSabee

KemoSabee

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

The idea is to enable you Iphone/Ipod touch to use it's internet capabilities to access the online portion of your XM/Sirius online lineup. Meaning, At&t would not be charging for an additional service, you're already paying for data if you have an iphone, it's up to you how you use, and for what. Think about it this way, why would there be mention of ipod touch if it was an additional service charge. There isn't, and with Sirius XM now charging for online streaming is only further proof that they're trying to explore new avenues, cause stand alone players/car sales has stalled, time to explore new avenues on untapped markets. They even stated this in there quarterly report. I gotta feeling they won't stop with iphone/ipod touch app.

What is becoming more and more clear, is the evolution of the advanced mobile market being less carrier serviced applications, and more applications being provided by the actual distributors. The iphone just has a leg up at the moment with being one of the most popular devices. And it helps that it's new and doesn't have any type of carrier based service applications, which I think will hinder the distribution across to other advanced mobile devices.

#28 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:15 AM

Also wondering how using this service may work against your 5 GB cap?

Mike, I don't think the iPhone has a cap. Here's a screenshot of my Account Info. Looks like Unlimited Data.

Posted Image
Down With Verizon!

#29 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 819 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

Mike, I don't think the iPhone has a cap. Here's a screenshot of my Account Info. Looks like Unlimited Data.

Posted Image

AT&T data plans are allotted 5GB, regardless of phone! Go over that 5GB and you are looking at big overage charges!

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#30 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

Then why would it be listed as Unlimited, if it in fact isn't.
Down With Verizon!

#31 OFFLINE   bobstong

bobstong

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

I'd like some feedback to make certain I have this straight. In their original FCC applications, XM and Sirius both agreed not to merge. When they got into financial trouble, they crawled back to the FCC, begging for merger approval, and in return promised not to raise prices due to their new monopoly situation. Are these facts correct?

In February, XM Sirius notified me that I would lose online listening privileges unless I extended my subscription by March 11. This notice occurred in the middle of our existing contract term, and their new subscription rates are significantly higher than my existing rates. (Read this, FCC!) I declined and requested a refund based on their change in terms to my contract. I can still listen to DirecTV's XM channels at home, or record them for listening in my vehicles. It's no big deal.

For web access, why not just listen to XM channels on a PC using a Slingbox connected to your home DirecTV receiver? Last January at MacWorld, Slingbox Media announced and demonstrated new iphone software compatibility for Slingbox HD. Wouldn't this arrangement provide the same functionality for iphone? Of course, this assumes that the XM Sirius channels you want are already delivered by DirecTV.

Content providers deserve to receive compensation in the form of a paid subscription from each listener. But should listeners pay two or three times for the same content delivered on multiple media? I will cheerfully pay once for all the content I can consume, then record or stream that single channel to the media of choice, perhaps using Slingbox in the future. I will appreciate your comments on this issue. Thanks! Bob

#32 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

I'd like some feedback to make certain I have this straight. In their original FCC applications, XM and Sirius both agreed not to merge. When they got into financial trouble, they crawled back to the FCC, begging for merger approval, and in return promised not to raise prices due to their new monopoly situation. Are these facts correct?

Yes that is correct. Just to start things off, I was against the merger from day 1, I still am, and I am completely unsatisfied with what it's turned in to, that said, Sirius XM is really doing nothing wrong here. There was nothing in the FCC ruling that stated the price of additional receivers couldn't increase or that online listening couldn't be made a premium. This is an indirect price increase in essence and does not violate the FCC ruling. They skirted about wording, which is what any company that wants to make money does. If you have 1 subscription and don't utilized internet streaming you won't see on increase.

For web access, why not just listen to XM channels on a PC using a Slingbox connected to your home DirecTV receiver? Last January at MacWorld, Slingbox Media announced and demonstrated new iphone software compatibility for Slingbox HD. Wouldn't this arrangement provide the same functionality for iphone? Of course, this assumes that the XM Sirius channels you want are already delivered by DirecTV.

I suppose that could work, but not all of the 20 million Sirius XM subscribers have DirecTV.
Down With Verizon!

#33 OFFLINE   dpd146

dpd146

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

Then why would it be listed as Unlimited, if it in fact isn't.

Marketing. Sounds better to simply say unlimited. Your bandwidth is unlimited, they just may charge you if you go over 5GB.

Just a guess

#34 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

What would marketing have to do with it? This is from my personal account status page, I'm already a customer, marketings job ended the moment I stepped into the AT&T Store. Under my alloted minutes column it says 450, not unlimited. Under the Included column for data it should say 5,120 MB, not Unlimited, if there is a 5GB usage cap data.
Down With Verizon!

#35 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 819 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

There is no usage cap, you'll get hit with overage charges if you go over 5 GB of usage in your monthly billing cycle. It is pure marketing as stated. T-mobile just upped their unlimited to include 10GB of usage before they hit you with overage charges. The small print clearly states how much data is included with the unlimited plan.

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#36 OFFLINE   ccmilesd

ccmilesd

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:15 PM

Pretty sad when AT&T is secretly capping data w/out notifying customers

AND

XM/Sirius ask Apple not to allow StarPlayer to develop an iPhone App (yet have failed so far at developing their own).

#37 OFFLINE   SatPilot

SatPilot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

you can use the app Pocket Tunes ($10) to stream Sirius/XM. Sounds great on 3G network and crappy on the edge network.

You have to have signed up for the $2.99/mo internet streaming service in order to receive this.

http://www.normsoft....ne/pockettunes/

Protected By... spam firewall...And...