Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Movies now issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

I tried to watch a movie via Movies now and I got a message that said check network for ordering (733). I ran the system test and everything was connected. No luck, tried RBR still didn't help. Reset modem and router, still nothing. So I call D* and the guy I first talked to admittedly didn't know, so I get transferred to a lady that tells me my HR22 hasn't called in to D* since december and this is why it's not working. She tells me she sent a signal to the ird to call in and this could take 24 hrs to correct the problem assuming the ird actually calls in. Has anyone had this problem before? I can use VOD to download other things, so I'm very confused why it wouldn't call in. Could it be the router not letting it or something else? Any insight is appreciated!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jk-

jk-

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

I've been checking my firewall logs since setting up my HR22 thru my network and I've been noticing that my receiver has been trying to go out to the internet on port 8080 every day, once a day.

This is an example of what my logs are showing (Again, Usually around the same time once a day) :

86|2009-03-12 11:25:48|xxxx:40423|8.3.161.3:8080|ACCESS DROPPED
Firewall default policy: TCP (L to W)
87|2009-03-12 11:25:24|xxxx:40423|8.3.161.3:8080|ACCESS DROPPED
88|2009-03-12 11:25:12|xxxx:40423|8.3.161.3:8080|ACCESS DROPPED
89|2009-03-12 11:25:06|xxxx:40423|8.3.161.3:8080|ACCESS DROPPED
90|2009-03-12 11:25:03|xxxx:40423|8.3.161.3:8080|ACCESS DROPPED

By doing a reverse ping on the above IP address it looks like it is trying to talk with DirecTV...

C:\>ping -a 8.3.161.3

Pinging bbvdms.dtvbb.tv [8.3.161.3] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 8.3.161.3:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

-----

I am wondering if the above is my receiver trying to talk with DTV, since it only hits this port/IP address once a day at the same time.. As of now tho I have no idea, it could be just refreshing the VOD guide or something... I guess I will know soon once my receiver allows me to stop ordering PPV myself! :D

Do you allow your machines to have full access to the internet? In my home network, I usually block all outbound ports to the internet and then allow ports as necessary. If you do the same perhaps allowing your receiver to talk on port 8080 outbound to the internet might fix your problem...

Good luck!

#3 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

Ok, in reading your post it makes me think what I already was thinking which is it's probably the router causing this debacle. Let's say it is the router in fact not letting the ird talk with Directv. If I turn off the firewall in the router would this allow it to call D* or not? I'm asking because I went ahead and turned it off hoping this would correct the issue.

#4 OFFLINE   jk-

jk-

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:48 AM

Double post..my apologies

Edited by jk-, 20 March 2009 - 01:09 AM.
Double post

#5 OFFLINE   jk-

jk-

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:50 AM

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response, been busy with work and all..

Let me ask you something if you don't mind.. When you had this issue, were you passing the Network Services test in the Network Services options sub-folder? The reason why I ask, Is I am starting to think that maybe Network Services is actually being used by DTV for this type of scenario (Ordering PPV and sending the info to DTV at a later time)..

I just recently ordered the Mega March Madness package thru my remote, but upon ordering I received an error 742.. I left the channel (109 I believe it was), and then went back to the channel to find out that that I was "Authorized" for the package. Now here is the kicker.. Within 24 hours of ordering, when I checked my DTV packages on the web the MMM package was shown as being purchased...This tells me that my receiver did communicate with DTV about the purchase of the package thru my network connection (I do not have a phone line hooked up to my receiver)...

So here is what I suggest to try to see if this fixes your problem :

If you filter your internet connections in your network allow the DirecTV receiver to go out to the internet on these ports, otherwise if you allow everything to go out to the internet ignore this part :

80 (TCP), 443 (TCP), 8080 (TCP), 1701 (UDP, L2TP protocol (If you have an older firewall, make sure to allow PPTP/L2TP connections thru your router)), ICMP (It uses the ICMP protocol to ping the directv websites to check for connectivity every now and then)

Now the next part , from the internet to your DirecTV receiver :

- Go into your network services options in your DTV receiver, and pick a port for each service, there are 2 services you need to pick a port for. (I think the range they give you is 27165-27175.. Not 100% sure)

- The next step is to go into your firewall.. Add these two ports and port forward them to the internal IP address of your DirecTV receiver. (Example: Any ports from the internet that are from 27170 and 27169 must go to 192.168.0.5, which would be the internal address of the DirecTV receiver).. If you want extra security, you can say that only the internet IP address of 147.21.10.54 can access your DTV receiver (This is the internet IP address that tries to access the receiver).

If you can, give it a shot and let me know how it goes for you.. I have been watching my firewall logs/packet sniffer when I get chances, and am sorta getting an idea on how the network connection works thru the receiver...

Take care and good luck!

Edited by jk-, 20 March 2009 - 12:58 AM.

spam firewall