Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

does EMS radio traffic cause...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   meldar_b

meldar_b

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:10 AM

does EMS radio traffic cause interference :confused:

I am new to OTA,:eek2: I have always used cable or satellite to watch the networks. I am moving back to D* but D* does not carry my local CBS affiliate WYMT:mad: So I decided to do some experimenting and try to receive the station myself. Since the DTV channel 12 (204-210 mhz) is close to the FM band (88-108) I decided to try using my FM network to see if it was possible for me to get the channel YES FM! :righton:

Using my Radio Shack directional FM antenna I can receive the station. The signal is showing in the normal range on my LG TV. But I am having some signal dropouts from just audio to complete signal loss only lasting for a second or 2 to several minutes. I was thinking that this from using the WRONG ANTENNA:uglyhamme So I went out today and bought a Radio Shack OTA antenna 80" Boom Length, 32-Element Antenna http://www.radioshac...oductId=2103085 I was going to install it today but 3-5 inches of snow has stopped me doing that today.

I was thinking about the very large radio tower that is on top of the mountain less than a half mile from my home which is the head-end for my local cable company also serves for a repeater site for several EMS services and FM broadcast station 100.1 FM using that tower.

So my question is:
Does transmissions from EMS or FM broadcast interfere with my DTV reception :scratch:

Thanks

Edited by meldar_b, 13 March 2009 - 02:17 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

No, but that cable company has a dish pointed right at your house to make you think it does so they can sell you cable. !Devil_lol

The question we need to know is how far away is that TV stations antenna? What is between you and it? The mountain? That mountain can for sure interfere with that signal!

FM will travel farther than VHF and VHF travels farther than UHF. I don't know here your EMS is located on the bands. It should not interfere though. Although, lower VHF channels are more susceptible to interference than the higher VHF and UHF. It's a trade off. The farther the signal can travel, it seems the more interference prone it is.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

It isn't likely that anyone can tell you what kind of intereference you could see in your area. RF issues are always local (you could get perfect signal and your neighbor could get nothing). To answer your question: yes, it's possible that the radio repeater could be causing interference, but it could also be other things. Many stations are still working out the bugs on their digital transmitters, especially the ones that just went live recently, so it may have nothing to do with those other RF sources.

#4 OFFLINE   meldar_b

meldar_b

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

5 inches of snow on the ground but I still needed to get my OTA installed. I did get the new OTA today and it did help the signal strenght, but I'm still having some audio drop outs. No where near the number dropout as with my test setup. At least now I can get my local news and UK ball games now :grin: without having to pay out my a$$tro-dome to my cable co. just to get the one station that DirecTV does not carry :joy:

Edited by meldar_b, 13 March 2009 - 08:38 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   meldar_b

meldar_b

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

Looks like I will also need a fm trap or a tv amp w/fm trap. I found this while searching the net about my problem at www.solidsignal.com :scratch:

from www.solidsignal.com

"FM trap is especially useful for those with nearby FM transmitters. The high signal strength can swamp your tuner causing you to loose stations completely on a digital tuner. For analog it causes the signal to bleed over on to the other channels. It causes all sorts of interference that shows up as a herring bone pattern or other distortion. Sometimes the FM audio even comes over the channel. "

I am odering this one tonight Winegard FT-3000 FM Trap AC/DV and UHF Passive (FT-3000) http://www.solidsign...sp?PROD=FT-3000 it Eliminates FM Interference on Channels 7-13 and since I need DTV channel 12 to be clear this one should work:grin: hopefully

Also I'm ordering a new tv amp, since the one I am using is around 12 years old or older I have used with my yagi fm antenna amp for years. So I'm thinking about this one AntennaCraft 10G212 30 dB High Gain TV/FM Mast-Mounted Signal Amplifier
http://www.solidsign...asp?PROD=10G212 :allthumbs

Man getting this tv infrastructure in place is costly:eek2:

Edited by meldar_b, 13 March 2009 - 09:31 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

A signal trap is possible to fix it, but VERY RARE! Watch out for snake oil salesmen in the area of signal interference. Get a good return policy.

An amp and a trap are the opposite! If you need an amp to get enough signal, then a trap is not going to help. An amp only amplifies interference and noise. Amps work only for a few people in a small ring at the edge of reception. Let me put it this way. An amp is only good if you are losing the signal during some times of the day. If you have weak signal all the time, it won't work that well.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...