Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dumb question.. should HD locals be in my channel list?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 951 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

I turned on my HD yesterday.. shouldn't HD locals be listed on my channel list.. they are 'offered in my area which is La Crosse.. just asking.. no I don't subscribe to locals.. but I would think that they would be listed.

let the ripping begin.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

Ok, I will bite :)

I have Premier Package and locals, but I believe all lowere packages will not show channels in the guide that you are not subscribed to.

Why do you need to see them?
D* customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

Did you reset the box ?
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#4 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

I turned on my HD yesterday.. shouldn't HD locals be listed on my channel list.. they are 'offered in my area which is La Crosse.. just asking.. no I don't subscribe to locals.. but I would think that they would be listed.

let the ripping begin.

OK, I'll rip.

What's the point? If you don't subscribe to the locals, what good is the listing? Although I can see why they might very well show up as I see quite a few channels listed in my guide that I don't subscribe to.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

The difference is that locals are not the same national channels that are available to everyone, but a unique set of channels that are normally hidden except when they are mapped down to your "local" channel numbers. If you don't subscribe, no map-down happens, so you won't see them.

#6 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 951 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

I was wondering if I could back door to them..

meaning that if I paid for the hd channels would I get my HD locals without giving up my Distant networks..

so I was wondering why the locals show up, but not the HD ones..

#7 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 951 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

is resetting the box different the unplugging the box?

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

FYI they will eventually shut off your distants since locals are available to you. They are pretty aggressive now in auditing accounts. Doesn't matter if you pay for them or not, you don't qualify anymore for distants according to the law. So be on the look out for that.

By the way, how are you not paying for locals? They come with every package. You must have a really old package from when they separated locals out.

#9 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

By the way, how are you not paying for locals? They come with every package. You must have a really old package from when they separated locals out.

Unlikely, but HSP packages don't have locals. Cheapskates.

Oh small tidbit, worked on the family member of a very early adopter which had NYC locals and west coast DNS. He never ever changed his package :D
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#10 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 951 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

if and when, they turn off my Distant networks.. then I will take the locals..

but until then.. I have had D* since 2002.. and I have the total choice plus with out locals because they didn't offer them back then.. and then it was with a 72.5 dish.. and I didn't want that..

but no one answered my question about resetting the box.. is that different then unplugging the box..

but right now Distant networks are what I want.. and I am not going to give them up without a fight..

plus I am grandfathered in.. and other nice things like that..

#11 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

Unplugging may help solve some issues that a reset doesn't but if your not having issues then resetting within the menu or the red button is fine.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#12 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

but no one answered my question about resetting the box.. is that different then unplugging the box..

Unplugging is like resetting plus more (clearing out memory and so forth, think rebooting a computer).

but right now Distant networks are what I want.. and I am not going to give them up without a fight..

plus I am grandfathered in.. and other nice things like that..

You won't have a choice when the time comes, it's the law and DirecTV must follow it. They break the law if they allow people to have distants that don't qualify.

FYI there is no more grandfathering for distant networks, the government took that away a year or two ago, which is why DirecTV is auditing accounts and taking away distants for people that no longer qualify. They don't want to be sued like Dish has for this.

You can thank your local congress critter for that and if you want it changed then you'll need to get them to change the law.

#13 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

Locals can be dropped from your service for a three dollar credit.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#14 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 951 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

well I unplugged one of my boxes and the channels did not appear..

from what I understand, since I have never taken the locals and I DON"T HAVE THEM.. they can't be forced on me..

and I can keep my distants..

and that's how I have read the law. and until some one does something to change that I am going to fight to keep them. just like tons of other posters here..

its almost like, hey.. I changed something and I lost my SD distants.. now I don't want you to have them too..

sorry but that to me is a bad attitude..

if I never had locals then there shouldn't be a problem at all.

#15 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

What you're not understanding is that Congress *changed* the law a couple years ago (2006 actually). There is no more distant network grandfathering, it's gone. If you can receive locals (not matter how) then you don't get distants, period. For HD locals, if DirecTV carries HD locals in your area then you automatically do not qualify for HD distants anymore. HD and SD distants rules are actually different. Now DirecTV may audit you tomorrow or 3 years from now, but eventually it will happen. DirecTV is only following the law.

There are a lot of threads on AVS about this back during that time period if you want more details. May be some here or at Satguys as well.

#16 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 951 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

sir.. and I know that you personally have a problem with me and when ever I post, which is rarely.

I DON'T HAVE HD DISTANT NETWORKS.. and I never, EVER, did.. NEVER.. not once..

all I did was turn on the HD part of my receivers that I got 6 months ago..

and I did that yesterday.. and I all I wanted to know is why I couldn't see the HD channels on my box.. I can see the "sd" side of them..

and I was wondering if I turned on the HD part of my box, would I see them..

and all I have is SD distants.. that's it .. period.. and Yes you can be grandfathered for THEM..

so with respect.. please read what I said.. and answer just that aspect of the question.. and if you personally have a problem with me, please leave that out since I am not attacking you in any way..

#17 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

Look, I don't have a problem with you. I don't think I've ever posted anything in a thread from you, but I could be wrong. I don't keep track of thousands of posts I've made.

I guess I still don't understand your problem then and your post is confusing to me. If what you are asking is why HD distants didn't show up then the reason is that waivers for distants for HD are separate from SD. So you could have either or both, just depends on your waivers. You have SD waivers from way back, but have never had them for HD. You can apply for them to see if you'll get them, but you'll be denied if HD locals are now available in your market. If you're asking about your HD locals, well, those won't show up because as you indicate you don't subscribe to locals. Hope that answers your question.

But the simple fact is that distants rules have changed, that's all I was pointing out, and no, you are NOT grandfathered into the SD distants anymore. That law changed as I have said a couple times now. I was only giving you a heads up that you could lose them at any time, just depends when DirecTV gets around to auditing your account. I've sorry if pointing that out offended you in some way.

I'll let others try to help and I'll try to remember your username in the future to not try to help. Good luck.

#18 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 951 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

well I still don't understand why the HD locals don't show up on my grid.

but as a follow question..

when I turn to my HD channels..

the picture seems jumpy or shakey at first and then in about 30 seconds or so, settle down to normal..

you can't read the over lays like any sort of print.. but like within a minute it seems to be fine..

over lays being some ones name or a score or something like that.

#19 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,916 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

If you have SD locals and turn on HD, then you should get the HD locals. If not, you won't.

#20 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

It sounds like your TV is taking a little while to settle down after changing resolutions. Do you have Native Mode on or off?

spam firewall