Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced Remote Setups

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,382 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

DIRECTV recently released a new software version for the HDDVR’s that added the ability to setup receivers with 8 different IR codes instead of 2. All HR20/21/22/23’s and R22’s now have this feature. Sadly, (at this time) no other receivers have this option.

To set it up you first need to select Menu > Parental Faves & Setup > System Setup > Remote

Once you have selected Remote you will see that a new option has been added called Advanced Setups below Receiver Mode.

Please note, you can still use Receiver Mode if you are only going to use the normal two IR codes.

http://www.dbstalk.c...90&d=1236960542

The next screen is nothing more than a warning, press the Dash to continue.

http://www.dbstalk.c...91&d=1236960549

After that you can set which code the receiver will be using, the choices are Receiver 1 - 8, please note that the screen also warns you that a RC16, RC23, & RC24 remote cannot use all 8 codes and can only use codes 1-4. You can normally find your remote’s model number in the top-left corner of the remote.

http://www.dbstalk.c...92&d=1236960554

The final screen tells the you which code to program the remote with. The codes are 00001 – 00008. When the you have finished with step 4 you will be returned to the first screen.

http://www.dbstalk.c...93&d=1236960556

Returning the receiver to normal:

There are three ways to get a receiver out of an advanced remote setup. The first is to repeat the steps outlined earlier and put the receiver in Receiver 1 mode, the second is to select Receiver Mode on the Remote screen.

When you select Receiver Mode this unit will first warn you that it is currently in a advanced configuration and give you a chance to back out or to press the Dash - to continue.

http://www.dbstalk.c...94&d=1236960563

When the you press the dash the receiver will bring you to a screen that will ask you to enter code 981 then code 00001.

http://www.dbstalk.c...95&d=1236960568

Honestly, code 00001 is all that is needed to put the remote back into normal operations. To me entering code 981 seems to be a little bit of overkill since code 981 resets EVERYTHING on the remote back to factory defaults, erasing any other programming you may have had on it. Please note that if you do enter code 981 you will need to reprogram the remote to your TV and other devices.

Again, once you finish with the final step the system will return you to the starting screen.

The third way to get the receiver back into normal remote operations? Reset the unit back to defaults, but that’s just overkill. ;)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,245 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:48 AM

Has anyone tried the extended IR codes with Slingbox yet?
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

Yes. I built JP1 upgrades for all eight codes, and user mfeinstein successfully added them to his sling. He used the JP1 software to do it (It's pretty easy to do). See THIS thread. The last post in that thread has a link to the files you need. HERE's the programming software you need to make the sling files.

Edited by mdavej, 20 April 2009 - 10:31 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,245 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

Yes. I built JP1 upgrades for all eight codes, and user mfeinstein successfully added them to his sling. He used the JP1 software to do it (It's pretty easy to do). See THIS thread. The last post in that thread has a link to the files you need. HERE's the programming software you need to make the sling files.

Thanks, very much appreciated!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#5 OFFLINE   mobrien22

mobrien22

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

I tried setting up my third reciever as receiver number 3, but once I did I lost control with my Harmony 880. How can I continue to use that reciever while the HR20-100 is set as reciever 3?

#6 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

Set a DirecTV remote to code 00003 and teach your harmony all the buttons.

#7 OFFLINE   mobrien22

mobrien22

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:07 AM

I tried that, but I got a message saying that Harmony did not have that remote in thier database.

#8 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

That's not what I meant. I assume harmony can also learn individual buttons from other remotes by putting them head to head and pushing buttons on the OEM remote. So you'll have to teach it each button, no database involved. Hopefully a harmony owner will post and help you with the details.

EDIT: I should have read your post more carefully. Device 3 is in the harmony database as HR20-700S3. Only devices 1 and 3 are in the harmony database at the moment. A third device using some other code besides 1 or 3 would require the learning procedure above.

Edited by mdavej, 15 May 2009 - 07:51 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

That's not what I meant. I assume harmony can also learn individual buttons from other remotes by putting them head to head and pushing buttons on the OEM remote. So you'll have to teach it each button, no database involved. Hopefully a harmony owner will post and help you with the details.

EDIT: I should have read your post more carefully. Device 3 is in the harmony database as HR20-700S3. Only devices 1 and 3 are in the harmony database at the moment. A third device using some other code besides 1 or 3 would require the learning procedure above.

two things:

1: If the 8 new codes are only for the HR receivers, couldn't you use codes 1,3 and 5 for HRxx receivers and code 2 for an Hxx or Rxx receiver?

2: If someone has gone through the trouble of teaching a remote all of the new codes for one or more of the new HRxx addresses, they can contact Logitech to have them grab the data and make that available to all.

#10 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:28 PM

Yes on both counts. But apparently, from reading other threads about this, it's quite difficult finding someone at logitech who knows it's possible to do that. If you have any more insight about the process, I'm sure harmony users would greatly appreciate it.

Luckily, to make the JP1 upgrades, I only had to learn a single button from each code to see how the signals were different.

Edited by mdavej, 23 May 2009 - 05:41 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

One problem with the Sling Classic (that's all I have). You can add the new IR codes, but it will not let you modify the DirecTV remote. You have to create a generic DVR remote with these IR codes. So, you lose access to some important buttons, such as LIST and the Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue buttons. If someone knows how to modify a remote with the new IR codes but keep the DirecTV remote skin and buttons, please post it here.

#12 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

I don't know the process for adding codes to the sling, but I do understand the RM part of it. Can you use any of those extra buttons at the bottom of the layout tab in RM? Even without using those, you could put Green/Red on Pg+/- on the sling remote and just access List via Menu. Enter is another function you could probably do without and put another function in its place.

#13 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

I don't know the process for adding codes to the sling, but I do understand the RM part of it. Can you use any of those extra buttons at the bottom of the layout tab in RM? Even without using those, you could put Green/Red on Pg+/- on the sling remote and just access List via Menu. Enter is another function you could probably do without and put another function in its place.

Yes, I think that's possible. But, without being able to change the labels on the buttons, I can never remember which one is which. Instead, I am going to reconfigure how I have things set up in my house so I can go back to using IR code 1 for all the DVRs that have Slingboxes connected to them. MRV is helping me out here. Once I go back to IR code 1, I will have access to the standard DirecTV remote and won't need special codes.

#14 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

With two kids...my setup continues to be a work-in-progress. I have 3 HRxx that share an IR repeater/emitter system so effectively they are in the same room...they are Receiver 1, 3 and 4. I manually trained my Harmony 880 every button on receiver 4. It figured out receiver 3 for me based on a few button taps in guided setup and haven't changed my H21...it is Networked though, they all are, so I don't have to.

Logitech did clone my receiver 4 programming via an email request from 1 account to the other 2 accounts I have so I don't have to repeat...they didn't tell me that they did though.
HR20, HR21, HR22, H21
11 TVs (6 HD, 5 SD)
3 Harmony 880s
ChannelPlus 3025 AV Distribution Modulator & IR system
SlingBox Pro
Linksys WRT610N Gateway and WRT310N, Gigabit wired LAN, couple of 8-port gigabit switches and a 5-port 10/100, NAS and some other stuff

#15 OFFLINE   Greggbb

Greggbb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

I think this is doable, but I must admit I'm confused and if someone could walk me through it I would greatly appreciate it.

I have 1 HR21 and 1 R15. I have the R15 set to RF and running from another room into our living room, and with a Next Generation transmitter I can control both using my HR21 white remote (I switch over to AV1 for the R15).

Our old Tivo in the kids playroom is rebooting itself daily. That, too, uses a NextGen to be accessible from multiple rooms. If I get another R15 to replace it, will I end up sending conflicting signals to 2 R15s? Or is there a way to have them separate as AV1 and AV2 (and potentially use 1 remote to control all 3)?

Thanks in advance!

#16 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

I believe with Slingbox you can only use IR with the DVRs that it controls. This is one thing that I did not like but found out when it did not work and the tech told me that it will not work with IR & RF!!!

#17 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:26 AM

If I get another R15 to replace it, will I end up sending conflicting signals to 2 R15s? Or is there a way to have them separate as AV1 and AV2 (and potentially use 1 remote to control all 3)?

Just repeat the steps you used to get AV1 working with AV2 and pick a different address (not sure which ones are valid) for the second R15 similar to the steps at the top of this thread. If your white remote is RF already (FCC sticker on the back?), you can control all your receivers via RF without the next gen. That's a bit more complicated, but there are a couple of threads about it.

#18 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

You can control up to 3 different HRxx receivers, the Rxx should work the same, but I don't know that to be true.
HR20, HR21, HR22, H21
11 TVs (6 HD, 5 SD)
3 Harmony 880s
ChannelPlus 3025 AV Distribution Modulator & IR system
SlingBox Pro
Linksys WRT610N Gateway and WRT310N, Gigabit wired LAN, couple of 8-port gigabit switches and a 5-port 10/100, NAS and some other stuff

#19 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:26 AM

The R15 only knows two IR addressses, 00001 & 00002. And it doesn't have the Advanced setups option in the menu. Use the Receiver mode instead.
aka Tivoburkee

#20 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:37 PM

Facts:
  • I have two HR2x receivers.
  • I have no idea which remote channel either receiver is on.
  • I have a Harmony 880 that works fine these two receivers.
  • I also have a new HR20-700 (to replace my old HR10-250) that I haven't even opened.

QUESTIONS:
  • There are only AV1 and AV2 on my RC32 remotes. How can this remote address more than two DVRs?
  • Before I can choose a channel for my new HR2x, I'll need to identify the assigned channels for my two existing HR2x receivers. Is there anyway to get the receivers to display which remote channel they're on?

Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

spam firewall