Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced Remote Setups

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

Facts:

• I have two HR2x receivers.
  • I have no idea which remote channel either receiver is on.
  • I have a Harmony 880 that works fine these two receivers.
  • I also have a new HR20-700 (to replace my old HR10-250) that I haven't even opened.

QUESTIONS:
  • There are only AV1 and AV2 on my RC32 remotes. How can this remote address more than two DVRs?
  • Before I can choose a channel for my new HR2x, I'll need to identify the assigned channels for my two existing HR2x receivers. Is there anyway to get the receivers to display which remote channel they're on?

Info on each receiver will give you the channel assignment information you seek. Scroll down until you find it.
HR20, HR21, HR22, H21
11 TVs (6 HD, 5 SD)
3 Harmony 880s
ChannelPlus 3025 AV Distribution Modulator & IR system
SlingBox Pro
Linksys WRT610N Gateway and WRT310N, Gigabit wired LAN, couple of 8-port gigabit switches and a 5-port 10/100, NAS and some other stuff

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

[*]There are only AV1 and AV2 on my RC32 remotes. How can this remote address more than two DVRs?

D + AV1 + AV2 = 3

#23 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

D + AV1 + AV2 = 3

Exactly, don't overlook the "default" Directv setting!
HR20, HR21, HR22, H21
11 TVs (6 HD, 5 SD)
3 Harmony 880s
SlingBox Pro
Linksys WRT610N Gateway and WRT310N, Gigabit wired LAN, couple of 8-port gigabit switches and a 5-port 10/100, NAS and some other stuff

#24 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

Facts:

• I have two HR2x receivers.
  • I have no idea which remote channel either receiver is on.
  • I have a Harmony 880 that works fine these two receivers.
  • I also have a new HR20-700 (to replace my old HR10-250) that I haven't even opened.

QUESTIONS:
  • There are only AV1 and AV2 on my RC32 remotes. How can this remote address more than two DVRs?
  • Before I can choose a channel for my new HR2x, I'll need to identify the assigned channels for my two existing HR2x receivers. Is there anyway to get the receivers to display which remote channel they're on?

I have an H21-100, an HR20-700 and an HR21-200 that I can control with one DIRECTV remote. The slider at the top has 4 positions. When the slider is at DIRECTV (far left) it is controlling the HR20-700. I have code 00002 entered into the AV1 position controlling the H21-100. Code 00003 is entered into the AV2 position and controls the HR21-200. I am not sure if the TV position can be used to control a 4th receiver.

I would guess that you are using codes 00001 and 00003 and the DIRECTV position and one of the AV positions on the slider. If so, I would use the other AV position for the 3rd HR2x and code 00004.

Once you get the DIRECTV remote to control the 3rd DVR in code 00004, you should be able to add a third DVR device in the harmony software and learn the codes from your remote. During setup it asks you to confirm the IR commands and from those few commands it may find a match in its database. If it doesn't, you should be able to learn all of the commands manually.

#25 OFFLINE   ztrips

ztrips

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

Is it possible to have a Harmony remote AND an RC64 controlling the same HD DVR at the same time??

#26 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Is it possible to have a Harmony remote AND an RC64 controlling the same HD DVR at the same time??

absolutely. I have RC64s laying all around the house that have DTV, AV1 and AV2 set up to control each of three different HRxx boxes as well as 3 Harmony 880s that can control same. The IR codes are the same - the receiver doesn't care what device sends it the code.

What you cannot do is mix IR and RF, though.
HR20, HR21, HR22, H21
11 TVs (6 HD, 5 SD)
3 Harmony 880s
SlingBox Pro

#27 OFFLINE   ztrips

ztrips

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:26 AM

Did you "teach" the Harmony the buttons, or use once of the device profiles from Logitech? I'm confused why you need to use the DTV, AV1, AV2 buttons if the IR signal is all the same?

#28 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:36 AM

Did you "teach" the Harmony the buttons, or use once of the device profiles from Logitech? I'm confused why you need to use the DTV, AV1, AV2 buttons if the IR signal is all the same?

My HRxx receivers use different remote codes. IIRC they use 0, 3 and 4. Logitech has 0 and 3 in their database already, so they picked those codes up after a few key presses during setup. any of the other 8 codes are not preloaded into their database, so you will have to manually teach your remote all of the keys.

If you have multiple Harmony remotes, you can have Logitech "clone" your account. If you have had them over a year, it is a bit squirrly, though. You only are allowed e-mail tech support and they don't confirm when they have done this...I have 3 logitech accounts: MainAccount; MainAccount_Clone1; and; MainAccount_Clone2. This is because each Harmony remote actually operates many of the same devices in my world. That way, i didn't have to go through setup all over again from the beginning, I got a headstart by simply customizing the unique devices for the location where each is used (delete a tv, for example, and add the tv used in that location and then go into each activity and re-run setup to incorporate the new tv, and so on).

I had to do this because of they way that I have my equipment setup...3 receivers are for all intents and purposes in the same location as they are on an IR distribution system, so they all receive the IR signal simultaneously. If the receivers weren't on different IR codes, chaos would ensue! If each receiver in your house is in a different location and there is no chance of IR crosstalk, then I don't see any reason for you not to leave everything on the universal remote code ("0"). I left my H21 on 0, so it is on the same IR Codeset as one of my HRs.

I hope this helps. If I didn't explain something, let me know and I'll try again.
HR20, HR21, HR22, H21
11 TVs (6 HD, 5 SD)
3 Harmony 880s
SlingBox Pro

#29 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:56 AM

ztrips,

(Looks like Girk and I were typing at the same time. Hopefully this will clarify a bit more).

The IR signals are NOT all the same. Your question was can you use D* and Harmony remotes at the same time. Yes, but code 1 controls a receiver set to code 1 and no others, code 2 controls code 2 and no others, etc., no matter what remote the signals come from. If you have remotes A and B set to code 8, remote C set to code 1, and one receiver set to code 8, then that receiver, and only that receiver will respond to remotes A and B (at the same time). It will never respond to remote C.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. Maybe you should think of the codes as different channels. Imagine you have a pair of walkie-talkies, one representing an HR20 and the other representing a remote. Set both to channel 1 and they can talk to each other. ANY other radio you might buy and set to channel 1 can talk to your other radios on channel 1. Now set one of the radios to channel 2. It gets nothing from your channel 1 radios. If you change your other radios to channel 2, they can all talk again. Does that make any more sense?

Codes 1 and 3 are the only profiles in the Logitech database. You have to teach it the others.

If you are interested in the nitty gritty details, I have analyzed the signals for all 8 code sets. There are a few bits near the beginning of each signal that identify which code set it is. The rest of the signal is identical to all the other code sets. In other words the signal for, say, the Menu command is the same for all code sets except for a few bits at the beginning. When a receiver gets a command and those first few bits don't match what it's looking for, it ignores the signal. If there is a match, it executes the command, like a lock and a key. Only matching sets fit.

Edited by mdavej, 29 July 2009 - 08:05 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   ztrips

ztrips

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

So how do you set the HR21-700 to use a particular IR code set?

#31 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:33 AM

So how do you set the HR21-700 to use a particular IR code set?

Menu > Parental Faves & Setup > System Setup > Remote

Go back to the first post in this thread. It will show you how. It's very easy to do. You just need your remote and a few moments.
HR20, HR21, HR22, H21
11 TVs (6 HD, 5 SD)
3 Harmony 880s
SlingBox Pro

#32 OFFLINE   bbq-allstar

bbq-allstar

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:45 PM

How do you get the Receiver Volume to pass through for all the Receiver inputs (Directv, AV1, AV2)?? I have added my 3 HD DVRs and they work fine in the corresponding input, but the volume, which is controlled via my Onkyo receiver no longer works. With the two receiver scenario I had the option of entering the TV and Volume pass-through... I don't see that option with the Advanced Remote setup... am I missing something? I have all 3 DVRs programmed in my H 880 remote, but sometimes I like to just pickup the white DTV remote and control everything (Mute, Volume and Power).

#33 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:40 AM

Sorry but for you to have onkyo volume, the onkyo will have to have its own device, either av1 or av2. And tv device only accepts tv codes, and the Directv device only SAT codes. That leaves av1 or av2.
aka Tivoburkee

#34 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

Edmund is the locally-regarded authority on these things, so I defer to him. But, there is a way on the Directv device to have the volume and mute buttons control the sounds on a tv, I don't know if an A/V received device code will work for that function or not, though and from Edmund's comments, it sounds like it doesn't. I don't know the answer to the question whether the AV1/2 devices operate the same way if you use them to primarily control a directv receiver.

That's not an application that has come up for me. I'll look into it the next time I'm in the garage and have a few minutes to mess around...my setup out there might work for a testing bed...not sure when I'll get around to it, though.
HR20, HR21, HR22, H21
11 TVs (6 HD, 5 SD)
3 Harmony 880s
SlingBox Pro

#35 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

Edmund is the locally-regarded authority on these things, so I defer to him. But, there is a way on the Directv device to have the volume and mute buttons control the sounds on a tv, I don't know if an A/V received device code will work for that function or not, though and from Edmund's comments, it sounds like it doesn't. I don't know the answer to the question whether the AV1/2 devices operate the same way if you use them to primarily control a directv receiver.

That's not an application that has come up for me. I'll look into it the next time I'm in the garage and have a few minutes to mess around...my setup out there might work for a testing bed...not sure when I'll get around to it, though.

The tv volume is there because it has its own device, the OP has 3 dvrs taking up Dtv, AV1 & AV2 devices, meaning there is no space for the onkyo receiver. Without dedicating a device for the onkyo code, there will not be any onkyo volume.
aka Tivoburkee

#36 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

The tv volume is there because it has its own device, the OP has 3 dvrs taking up Dtv, AV1 & AV2 devices, meaning there is no space for the onkyo receiver. Without dedicating a device for the onkyo code, there will not be any onkyo volume.

I knew there was a reason you were the expert! Thanks for straightening me out.
HR20, HR21, HR22, H21
11 TVs (6 HD, 5 SD)
3 Harmony 880s
SlingBox Pro

#37 OFFLINE   bbq-allstar

bbq-allstar

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

I guess you are correct... it just seemed to me that since there are memorized codes on the remote that there'd be a way to force the volume and mute buttons to work the receiver volume via onkyo. If you can do it via using two receivers in the remote setup, why not three? If D* were to add another option in the Advanced Setup that said "Would you like to control your volume through a TV or Receiver? You answer "Yes" and then it asks you which brand and then you choose a code, etc. Not sure why this wouldn't work. It is unfortunate that the "TV" input will only program TVs and not Receivers... :(

Anyway, appears there is no option currently to do what I want... I will have to just use the Harmony 880 to control the Volume.

#38 OFFLINE   MurrayW

MurrayW

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

Is there a "0" or master codeset that will control a box no matter what codeset the box is on? Like the DirecTiVo's where you could set different codesets for each, but you could still control any or all of them by using the default codeset?

In my setup I would like to have the option of either one of these choices.

thanks,
Murray

#39 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

Is there a "0" or master codeset that will control a box no matter what codeset the box is on? Like the DirecTiVo's where you could set different codesets for each, but you could still control any or all of them by using the default codeset?

In my setup I would like to have the option of either one of these choices.

thanks,
Murray

No, there isn't.
aka Tivoburkee

#40 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

I would PM EDMUND (The Remote Master) and ask him. He is the most knowledgeable one in this great forum.

OOPS. Nevermind he beat me to it.

spam firewall