Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Value of Sports Pack in the Late Spring & Summer Months

video loss

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   birdie_ace

birdie_ace

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

I purchased the Sports Pack last August and have enjoyed the NCAA football, NCAA basketball, and NCAA hockey games that are shown. I feel it is money well spent.

With the college hockey and college basketball seasons near their end, I question how much "valuable sports programming" I will get from the Sports Pack over the late Spring and Summer months.

I would appreciate some feedback regarding the pros and cons of cancelling Sports Pack at this time and then adding it again in late August (until college football starts back up).

For those of you that actually do this every year, in your opinion, when is the most opportune time to cancel and why?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mikewsu

mikewsu

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

I had Sports Pack back in Aug-March of last year. I canceled for the same reason as you: lack of games I wanted to watch in Spring/Summer.

#3 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

I purchased the Sports Pack last August and have enjoyed the NCAA football, NCAA basketball, and NCAA hockey games that are shown. I feel it is money well spent.

With the college hockey and college basketball seasons near their end, I question how much "valuable sports programming" I will get from the Sports Pack over the late Spring and Summer months.

I would appreciate some feedback regarding the pros and cons of cancelling Sports Pack at this time and then adding it again in late August (until college football starts back up).

For those of you that actually do this every year, in your opinion, when is the most opportune time to cancel and why?

In previous years, there's been quite a bit of college baseball coverage from the southern RSN's.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#4 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

I like to watch NESN's pre and post game Red Sox coverage. That isn't available on MLBEI.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#5 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

None to me. I always subscribe in mid-Sept and cancel it after the Saturday of March Championship Week.

#6 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

I'm most likely canceling after this weekend and then I'll add it back in the fall. I need to look and see how many ACC baseball games will actually be shown on the Florida RSNs that I won't have on my local RSN. Most likely is not enough.

#7 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:45 PM

I like to watch NESN's pre and post game Red Sox coverage. That isn't available on MLBEI.

Same here. I also do watch college baseball.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#8 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

I have 2 or 3 RSN's without the sports pack. I use to sub and then drop during the EPL season since that was the longest of the sports I cared to watch. I don't sub to sports packages. During the summer I do miss some Cubs games without the sports pack that I would normally be able to see. But I can track the games on the internet.

Long story short, I get to watch nearly all of the teams I really care about without the sports pack. Important to me are Grizzlies, Cubs, and Manchester United. I can watch the Grizzlies on local RSN's or alternates, the Cubs will usually be on an alternate that I get, and I can watch ManU games on the internet.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#9 OFFLINE   vansmack

vansmack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

I really care about.. Manchester United.

Agreed. So I subscribe to Sports Pack from late August until early May (as well as Setanta), then cancel for the summer. On occasion there's a summer football tournament I watch, but I rarely keep the Sports Pack for all 12 months.

#10 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

Agreed. So I subscribe to Sports Pack from late August until early May (as well as Setanta), then cancel for the summer. On occasion there's a summer football tournament I watch, but I rarely keep the Sports Pack for all 12 months.

I used to watch a lot of EPL games, but now have 2 kids so I don't have as much time as I used to. Depending on how much you want and if you can watch them live, there are ways to watch the games free.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#11 OFFLINE   VandyCWG

VandyCWG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

Well, after readin this, I canceled my Sports Pack today, mostly for the same reason, blackout rules will take away most baseball, so the value is basically none.

Thanks for pointing out my overspending!

Spring Hill, TN (Nashville DMA)

Receiving Equipment: SWM 3 Slimline | Full DECA cloud
Living Room: Mini C31 | LG 55" LED
Bonus Room: HR44-700 | Sharp 70" 3D LED | Sony STR-DN1040 | PS3 | Slingbox Pro-HD | Slingbox SOLO
Master Bedroom: HR24-500 | Westinghouse 40"
Man Cave: Mini C31 | 
LG 55" LED
Computer/Networking: Windows 7 /WMP12 | Netgear R6300 | 50/5 Charter HSI
Mobile Phones Verizon - Droid Razr MAXX, Rooted 4.1.1

#12 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,468 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

I keep it year round, I don't care for and never watch college football or basketball, but do like hockey, baseball and other college sports. I also enjoy watching many of the locally produced shows by some of the RSNs. I also subscribe to Center Ice and the MLB package.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#13 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

I get ESPN360 through AT&T I have little need for sports pack. If I could get the CHA tournament though it would be worth it.

#14 OFFLINE   Fenway

Fenway

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

Me too :)

#15 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:36 AM

The value of Sports Pack should NEVER be questioned. :) IMO

#16 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

I keep it year-round, because its too much trouble to cancel it and restart it.

I am one of the people in the "overlap" area (claimed by multiple cities' teams) so it brings me extra baseball and hockey (Pirates and Penguins) but I am really a fan of neither team, but its more baseball and hockey.

There is a lot of college baseball through the end of May.

ESPNU has some good stuff, but, of course, college is out of session.

#17 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:48 AM

I will sub once MLB starts. I enjoy watching the pre and post game shows combined with EI. And the joy of watching SNY after a tough Mets loss is...............priceless!!:hurah:

#18 OFFLINE   JonSamuels

JonSamuels

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

A lot of it just depends on where you live. Sports Pack for me in the summer gets me the Twins, Cardinals, Brewers, and Royals games in addition to the Cubs and White Sox games that I get without it. Six total MLB teams makes it well worth it for me.

#19 OFFLINE   birdie_ace

birdie_ace

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for all of your replies!

It seems from most of your postings, the primary value of Sports Pack in the late Spring and Summer is the baseball, soccer, and pre/post game programming. Since I am not a baseball or soccer fan, I am leaning towards cancelling sometime in April. That way I can catch a few more college hockey games and even the occasional AHL hockey game. Under this scenario, I would save roughly $50 (4-5 months). That savings can go towards next years Center Ice package.

#20 OFFLINE   Prince Oz

Prince Oz

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:41 AM

I to for the same reason. Tigers, Cardinals, Cubs, Red Sox and hockey till end of July. Also, my college football teams still have there talk shows which gets really good as season approaches by late August. Worth keeping year round.
Prince Oz
Living = HR23-700, Sammy LN52A550, BD350, Yamaha 735
Game Room = Dell XPS 630, 360 Elite, Vizio VS32, HR20
Roll Tide Roll

Protected By... spam firewall...And...