Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Value of Sports Pack in the Late Spring & Summer Months

video loss

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ddinsm

ddinsm

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:23 PM

Like many others I only have the sports pak to watch pre and post game NESN interview, when they win :)

I wonder do they charge a cancel or add fee if I were to cancel in Nov and then readd in March??? seems like it could save me 60 bucks....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:34 PM

Like many others I only have the sports pak to watch pre and post game NESN interview, when they win :)

I wonder do they charge a cancel or add fee if I were to cancel in Nov and then readd in March??? seems like it could save me 60 bucks....

No. As long as you have it 30+ days, there is no fee when you cancel.

#23 OFFLINE   juventuz

juventuz

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

I'm the opposite of most I guess. Since I watch my favorite teams on my local RSN, the fall/winter have no games I care about in the sports pack. In spring/summer I enjoy watching college lacrosse and the MLS games (if they're not blacked out). I could care less about football or basketball.

#24 OFFLINE   redram38

redram38

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMillington Tn

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

I get the Reds, Cards and Braves on the sports pak. I cannot see The Reds if I sub to the Extra Innings Pk, except for the games I would see on the sports pk anyway. For some reason The Reds, Cardinals and Braves are Memphis Tn home teams. I can understand The Cardinals, but The Reds and Braves have always baffled me.
Directv with 4 HDDVR's 3 HR24's and one HR21
Dish with Hopper/sling, Hopper/sling adapter and 4 joeys

Directv for 17 years, Dish for 1 month. Loving the Hopper and Primetime anytime so far.

#25 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:22 AM

For some reason The Reds, Cardinals and Braves are Memphis Tn home teams. I can understand The Cardinals, but The Reds and Braves have always baffled me.

Brief history. Back in the day, even before there were RSNs and we were just talking about radio, the baseball teams divided the country by zip codes. They just let each team claim whatever it wanted to. This caused massive "overlap" zones in rural, and not so rural areas, with multiple (the record is six) overlapping territories covering one place. With no reflection in that of what actually goes on on the ground there.

A copy of the map is here:

http://us.i1.yimg.co.../1150742098.jpg

IMHO, a real commissioner would look at these claims and the facts on the ground and free many people of silly claims by distant teams with no local following.

#26 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:25 AM

I keep it soleley for the soccer on Fox Soccer Channel and Goltv. Otherwise, I would have no value for it.

#27 OFFLINE   chuckaluck

chuckaluck

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:50 AM

I keep it for college lacrosse as well as Stl. Cardinals pre and post game shows.

#28 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:09 AM

Back in the day, even before there were RSNs and we were just talking about radio, the baseball teams divided the country by zip codes.

It would have been a little hard to divide the country by ZIP codes back in the days of radio -- they weren't introduced until the 1960s. :D The old way to do it was by counties.

I can take an educated guess on why those three teams claim Memphis: the Cardinals are the closest team, the Reds are in "the next state over" (in that the Cincinnati metro area extends into Kentucky)[*], and the Braves decided they were the official team of the entire South when they moved to Atlanta.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#29 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

I can take an educated guess on why those three teams claim Memphis: the Cardinals are the closest team, the Reds are in "the next state over" (in that the Cincinnati metro area extends into Kentucky)[*], and the Braves decided they were the official team of the entire South when they moved to Atlanta.

We are just a town in demand. :D I wish the Cubs would claim us.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#30 OFFLINE   colebert

colebert

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

I will sub once MLB starts. I enjoy watching the pre and post game shows combined with EI. And the joy of watching SNY after a tough Mets loss is...............priceless!!:hurah:

You read my mind.

I only subscribe to SportsPack in during the MLB season to compliment my MLB:EI. It's the only time I get any real value from it.

#31 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

...the Reds are in "the next state over" (in that the Cincinnati metro area extends into Kentucky)[*]...

Oops, forgot about that footnote. I was going to write something about how back in the days when all this was set up, the Reds' flagship radio station WLW was the radio equivalent of a "superstation" -- very easy to receive at night in Memphis (and there was a time that the Reds played more night games than any other team). But I forget exactly what my point was.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

spam firewall