Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 Activation Problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PoorRichard

PoorRichard

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

I recently purchased a 622 on Ebay WHICH HAD NEVER BEEN PREVIOUSLY BEEN ACTIVATED. Unfortunately, the 622 I bought did not have a smart card with it. When I called Dish they originally told me that it would activate with the built in smart card. After I cabled the receiver up the System Info Screen appeared with the correct R00 number but the S00 number was all zeroes. Also the software revision was back at L614. Bottom line from Tech Support was that they could not provide me with a new smart card without having the unit active on my account and of course they could not activate the receiver to my account without the smart card. Bottom Line they told me to get the smart card from the Ebay seller or return the receiver to him. I don't believe he has the smart card since I think he got the unit from a former Dish seller who discontinued his business. Anyone provide help for this problem?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peaked

peaked

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

If you can't get the SOO from the seller, try to get your money back and get another one. Because of activation and update issues, it may save you a lot of hassle in the future.

Edited by peaked, 13 March 2009 - 09:30 PM.
ROO should have been SOO. Soo sorry.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

The initial smart card is built in on the 622 ... it would be an S19 number, IIRC.

Get your money back if you can ... the receiver has been tampered with or has suffered damage.

#4 OFFLINE   chainblu

chainblu

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:15 PM

When you were talking to tech support, did they have you do a reset?

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

reset will not help if the card/chip gone.

Open a cover and check if the chip on place (under HDD).

#6 OFFLINE   chainblu

chainblu

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

reset will not help if the card/chip gone.

lol No it won't.

I've encountered this before a few times. I don't remember what model receivers they were, but a reset promptly brought the SOO numbers back in place... BUT these were receivers out of my van, not from some unknown on eBay

#7 OFFLINE   PoorRichard

PoorRichard

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

When I was on the phone with Tech Support, we attempted reset by unplugging receiver from AC power source for about a minute and also by holding power button in until screen went blank and then re-booted. I assume that is what you mean by doing reset..

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

Yes. It was 'cold' and 'warm' resets.

#9 OFFLINE   PoorRichard

PoorRichard

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

I called Dish tech support again today and got what I consider a very smart rep. She told me that the original 622's were shipped with a built-in smart chip and of course they were subsequently sent smart cards (Piracy issues). Later models of the 622 were built without the smart chip and required smart cards for activation. The receiver I purchased on Ebay which had never been activated was sort of caught in the middle. It was built without the smart chip but somehow no smart card was ever sent out for it. She was able to get the receiver included on my account by using a dummy smart card number and that allowed her to order me a smart card which I should receive next week via UPS. Once I receive the smart card I should be able to activate the receiver and then of course it will then upgrade the software from factory sent version L614 to current version. Will follow up this post when I get smart card and see if it works. It is hard to believe that 3 different tech reps yesterday could not help...

#10 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:53 PM

I called Dish tech support again today and got what I consider a very smart rep. She told me that the original 622's were shipped with a built-in smart chip and of course they were subsequently sent smart cards (Piracy issues). Later models of the 622 were built without the smart chip and required smart cards for activation. The receiver I purchased on Ebay which had never been activated was sort of caught in the middle. It was built without the smart chip but somehow no smart card was ever sent out for it. She was able to get the receiver included on my account by using a dummy smart card number and that allowed her to order me a smart card which I should receive next week via UPS. Once I receive the smart card I should be able to activate the receiver and then of course it will then upgrade the software from factory sent version L614 to current version. Will follow up this post when I get smart card and see if it works. It is hard to believe that 3 different tech reps yesterday could not help...

This is why the police would understand when someone goes postal on a E* call center.
Thank you charlie!!!:rolleyes::eek2::nono2:

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

Dish CSR are not that technically advanced to tell you truth.

All receivers have internal card including remanufactured. Condition is - if the card's DNASP less then 240, then the receiver will have plastic card too (G3, purple). But no main board came out without the card-chip.

I did challenge you to open a hood and check.

#12 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:02 PM

I did challenge you to open a hood and check.

Most people are reluctant to take their receivers apart for any number of reasons. You seem to think that cracking open a receiver and poking around inside is something everyone should be doing. I think your advice is irresponsible. Voiding the warranty can get expensive.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#13 OFFLINE   PoorRichard

PoorRichard

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

Received smart card from Dish and now activated..Problem resolved..

spam firewall