Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Possible Public Interest Channels List

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:49 AM

Hey everybody. I am trying to keep the HD lists updated as well, but I couldn't help but laugh when Charlie made the comment recently along the lines of him having all the HD out there really. Since he has made these outright false claims sometimes in referring to new content coming, I figured I would put to rest any argument that there are no public interest channels available to be added. I know I am probably missing some, and I will try to keep this list updated since it shouldn't take much effort. I would enjoy having several of the variety and arts channels. Any updates and additions are welcome.

Variety Channels
America One TV
AMG TV
Open Student TV Network
Retirement Living TV
Retro TV Network
Supreme Master TV

Arts and Education Channels
Create TV
Ebru TV
Unemployment Channel
Veterans Administration Knowledge Network
Visual Arts Network
Voice of America

Multi-Cultural Channels
Louisiana Connection Network
MHZ Worldview
Muslim TV Ahmadiyya International
Press TV (Iranian English)
Shalom TV (Jewish)

Sports Channels
@Sports TV

Movie Channels
White Springs TV

College and University Channels
3C TV (formerly carried as CCCSat)
Buckeye TV
California University TV
Carnegie Mellon TV
Emerson Channel
George Mason University TV
Hartford University Student TV
Indiana University Student TV
Michigan Channel
Rowan TV Network
Seattle Community College TV
Trojan Vision
University of Alaska TV
University of Arizona TV
University of Maryland TV
University of North Carolina Student TV
University of Pennsylvania TV
University of Wisconsin Student TV
Virginia Tech TV
William & Mary TV

Religious Channels
1 Truth TV Network
Apostolic Oneness Network
Catholic TV
Church Communication Network
Dr. Gene Scott's University Network
Emmanuel TV
Esperanza TV
Faith TV
FamilyLand TV Network
Global Christian Network
God's Learning Channel
Gospel Broadcasting Network
Gospel Music TV
Hope Channel
LifeChurch TV
Living Faith TV
Loma Linda Broadcasting Network
Love World Christian Network
National Religious Broadcasters TV
Old Path TVl
Prophetic Word
Reformation Channel
Shepherd's Chapel
Spirit TV
Spirit Word Channel
TCT Network
Total Living Network
TVU
Vision Heaven TV
Word Network
Worship Network
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

With the recent demise of 2 PI channels, E* should add more soon. Instead of adding anything new the E* "smoke and mirrors dept." has mapped some of the current PI channels that appear elsewhere in guide to the "PI ghetto" in the 9400's (EWTN, TBN & CSPAN-1) to give the appearance of a full slate of PI channels.

I'd really like to see Catholic Familyland TV. We used to get it on Sky Angel. This channel is carried on local cable systems on their digital tier.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#3 OFFLINE   Aransay

Aransay

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

houw about

this tv for variatt vclasis tvcahnnlesand
mariavsion (catholic)
El sembrador netwotks (catholic9

i woudle lvoe to se the 2 chanel uplinked to disjh
WAITING AXXIUSLY TO BE FIRST CUSTUMER OF THE NEW MEXICO DISH SERVICES RELATED: hoping t otest it soon

#4 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

In fairness, most of these channels wouldn't be considered public interest or they are targeted to a specific region (i.e. most if not all of the university channels). Also, many of the other channels listed above that might be considered public interest most likely would not be willing to pay E* for the uplink costs.

For example:

Create TV: Available to PBS affiliates as a digital subchannel.

Visual Arts, Retro TV Network & AMG TV: These are ad supported channels that are shown on many TV stations across the country on their HD subchannels.

The Unemployment Channel: This is a "service" where you pay $25 to have a 30 second resume video uploaded to the website and supposedly "broadcast" on some national TV network. The website doesn't have a live stream nor does it tell you where to see this national TV "network."

Retirement Living & America One: Not a public interest network. At the very least, it runs advertisements.

Open Student TV Network & The college TV stations: I didn't look at all of them, but they are targeted to the campus from which they originate.

VOA: Targeted to people outside of the country. I guess it is possible though.

VA Knowledge Network: Aired in VA centers only.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,499 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

Any channel that airs commercials or shows commercially sponsored programming would not be eligible. RFD lost their PI status over being commercial.

Then turn around and ask PIs to pay a fee for carriage. This fee is based on the cost of the channel space they are consuming. While the above PI channels exist would they be willing to pay 6k per month for carriage (a discounted rate based on half the cost of one of 12 channels per transponder)? DISH is not required to offer PIs free carriage.

That additional distribution cost is carried by the channel.

The PI requirements are odd ... there is no requirement that dropped channels be immediately replaced. The required channel count is based on the number of channels carried of each slot (DISH wanted to calculate based on the system and put the PIs on the wings but that didn't fly). When trying to figure out if DISH has enough PIs to fulfill the legal requirements look at on a slot by slot basis. Years ago when I did the math DISH was actually over the minimum requirement for PIs.

The PI requirements apply to US DBS. In my opinion the foreign slots should also have a PI requirement since they are being used for US DBS. There are a lot of locals on certain slots ... they obviously don't count 1:1 or DISH would be required to carry PIs based on their count and would be way behind. There is a lot of math involved ... more than I'm willing to do at the moment. :)

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

With the recent demise of 2 PI channels, E* should add more soon. Instead of adding anything new the E* "smoke and mirrors dept." has mapped some of the current PI channels that appear elsewhere in guide to the "PI ghetto" in the 9400's (EWTN, TBN & CSPAN-1) to give the appearance of a full slate of PI channels.

I'd really like to see Catholic Familyland TV. We used to get it on Sky Angel. This channel is carried on local cable systems on their digital tier.

I don't watch PIs... Personally I'd rather have CSPAN3.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

spam firewall