Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 Not playing back complete show

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jlluck

jlluck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

I have a 3yr old and he loves his Mickey Mouse club. I have the 722 set to record every ep. We watch it every night right before he goes to bed. Lately, we have been encountering eps that don't play back completely. The timeline says 30 minutes but the show will stop dead at different spots for some shows. It only happens ever so often but to a 3ry old, that's too much :( .
I noticed that I've been recording on the upper channel 9433 instead of channel 172. Could this have anything to do with it? I haven't noticed any other recordings stopping short like it does with MM club. When it dies, it's at different times. Sometimes 5 minutes in and once 20 minutes in. I don't get any msg on screen, the show just stops and goes back to the DVR menu like the show went ended.
Thanks for any advise. Thought I'd check here before calling E* for help.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

I have a 3yr old and he loves his Mickey Mouse club. I have the 722 set to record every ep. We watch it every night right before he goes to bed. Lately, we have been encountering eps that don't play back completely. The timeline says 30 minutes but the show will stop dead at different spots for some shows. It only happens ever so often but to a 3ry old, that's too much :( .
I noticed that I've been recording on the upper channel 9433 instead of channel 172. Could this have anything to do with it? I haven't noticed any other recordings stopping short like it does with MM club. When it dies, it's at different times. Sometimes 5 minutes in and once 20 minutes in. I don't get any msg on screen, the show just stops and goes back to the DVR menu like the show went ended.
Thanks for any advise. Thought I'd check here before calling E* for help.

Did you try to play it again to see if it stops in the same spot? Maybe a power cord reset is in order.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   jlluck

jlluck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:16 AM

Did you try to play it again to see if it stops in the same spot? Maybe a power cord reset is in order.

I tried several times and even played it in slow-mo and it stopped and died at the same spot. I haven't tried after doing a reset or today (next day).

I had to do a reset the night before. Something was happening with the 722, I wasn't getting the guide. I was only getting an hour or two of the guide and I did a reset to see if that would fix the issue. I checked it right after the receiver booted back up and the guide was still messed up. I thought it might take a while to download. It was late and I didn't check it till the next day and I had full guide info. The ep of MM club that choked was recorded that morning. Everything else that day recorded OK.
What is a "power cord reset?" Pull the plug? ha-ha

#4 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

I have this happen with my 622 maybe every 6 months, it'll record a show short, say an hour show gets recorded for a listed time of 50 minutes but when I watch it I can only watch maybe 17 minutes and it ends.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

I have this happen with my 622 maybe every 6 months, it'll record a show short, say an hour show gets recorded for a listed time of 50 minutes but when I watch it I can only watch maybe 17 minutes and it ends.

Same with my 722. I just chalk it up to some kind of signal loss.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

I gotten that plus if I pause it while it's recording back to back I get the same thing. So if I'm watching the first one (while it's still live) and pause it I have found it's ends early. But only when shows are back to back.
This has only started with the last couple of updates.

#7 OFFLINE   jlluck

jlluck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

Same with my 722. I just chalk it up to some kind of signal loss.

Well this keeps up I'll be really peeved to put it nicely. Usually I get a little pixelation with signal loss not just a dead stop. If I had to venture a guess, I would say it was a hardware issue. Something physical with the hard drive. This has happened quite a bit more than I would have expected since joining E* two months ago.
Watching DVR'd stuff today I've had more mix up recordings than I ever have too. Shows the sched had listed and my info say they are the right ones but are of different shows and one show it only recorded 30 minutes out of 60. Weird stuff do be happenin.

#8 OFFLINE   ernste40

ernste40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

I have the same problem as described on my daily recording of The Today Show. The show is 4 hrs long, but each day, I get the same thing... The timeline when played shows 4 hours, but it will stop playing at random intervals -- different each day. Some days its an hour and a half in, some days it's 3 hours and 15 minutes in. Completely random. In my case, it also shows the actual length recorded in the DVR program list, but shows the full four hour timeline when I try to play it. This is the only timer this occurs with and I've tried deleting and resetting -- even trying the other tuner... No luck. Any ideas?

#9 OFFLINE   jlluck

jlluck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

I have the same problem as described on my daily recording of The Today Show. The show is 4 hrs long, but each day, I get the same thing... The timeline when played shows 4 hours, but it will stop playing at random intervals -- different each day. Some days its an hour and a half in, some days it's 3 hours and 15 minutes in. Completely random. In my case, it also shows the actual length recorded in the DVR program list, but shows the full four hour timeline when I try to play it. This is the only timer this occurs with and I've tried deleting and resetting -- even trying the other tuner... No luck. Any ideas?

And this doesn't happen with any of your other recordings?
Something interesting is the MM club that I record is in the 830am CST. Our shows are in this time frame of the morning. Not sure if this is of any significance. But I haven't called E* yet to see if their tech people know anything. If I do, I'll def report back here. Sorry other folks are having problems but I'm kinda gladd too that I'm not going crazy :)

#10 OFFLINE   Jnel

Jnel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:33 AM

This happened with my 622, after a power cord reset, I could watch the recordings all the way through. So it was not a signal or recording problem, but a playback one.

#11 OFFLINE   jlluck

jlluck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:37 AM

This happened with my 622, after a power cord reset, I could watch the recordings all the way through. So it was not a signal or recording problem, but a playback one.

Thanks for the info. Tell me what a "power cord reset" is please. This is a new one for me. I did the "hold power button" reset but it didn't help.

#12 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:55 AM

Hold the power cord in one hand near the end away from the receiver. With a steady firm motion, pull on the cord until it comes free from the power source. Wait for 30 seconds and then re-insert the plug into the power source.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#13 OFFLINE   jlluck

jlluck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:06 AM

Hold the power cord in one hand near the end away from the receiver. With a steady firm motion, pull on the cord until it comes free from the power source. Wait for 30 seconds and then re-insert the plug into the power source.

So this would be a HARD reset. Man, hate pulling a plug on a spinning hard drive.
This won't affect any recordings on the unit will it?
D* had this RESET ability thru the menu and a FULL RESET that wiped everything on the R15. Is there something like this on the 722?

#14 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:14 AM

:D:D:D
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#15 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:57 AM

So this would be a HARD reset. Man, hate pulling a plug on a spinning hard drive.
This won't affect any recordings on the unit will it?
D* had this RESET ability thru the menu and a FULL RESET that wiped everything on the R15. Is there something like this on the 722?

Don't do it when there is any thing recording or it will affect the recording. It will rebuild the schedule of events after it boots so it should not affect future recordings, in a bad way at least. There should not be a problem with pulling the power on the hard drive as long as you wait for a little while before plugging the power back in. You don't want to do a quick unplug/plug because you want the HDD to have time to stop spinning and everything to settle down before being hit with power again. Anything short of disconnecting power could result in less being cleared so it might not have the same affect.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

Protected By... spam firewall...And...