Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DoD - Secret Diary of a Call Girl - auto downloaded? In HD?

united states of tara

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Jay Jones

Mark Jay Jones

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

Wow, is it just me or...

I noticed the other day looking at the Showtime DoD "by channel" list of programs to download that two episodes of the series "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" were already downloaded and available to play! And in HD no less!

I did not (and nobody else in my family) downloaded these two episodes. They appear to have been auto downloaded to my DVR!?!

The odd thing is that these don't show up in the "My Playlist" or even "Top Movies" (which you would think might contain an auto downloaded show). So you can't play them from here. But if you select them from the DoD list of shows, it gives you an option to play immediately, which appears to be the only way to play these shows.

Now, I do have a Showtime/TMC subscription, an HR21-700 and have the internet connection to enable DoD. The Showtime sub might be a requirement before the auto downloads occur.

Does anyone else see this? Do this:

1. Get into "On Demand"
2. Select "Browse By Channel"
3. Scroll down to Showtime - 1537
4. Select "SHO Series"
5. Select "Secret Diary HD" series to see the shows available

For me, Secret Diary S2 (series 2) episodes 7 and 8 are already downloaded and available.

Do you see this as well?

When did DirecTV start doing this?

A quick scan through other Showtime shows reveals 2 episodes of both "The L Word" and "United States of Tara" have been auto downloaded as well.

I'm not a fan of any of these shows, just was surprised to see this new "feature". I haven't seen any promotion by DirecTV (or Showtime) adding this feature to DoD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

Episode 8 is that way for me too (but not #7). Weird.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

I first noticed this about 3 weeks ago. It could have been there for awhile for all I know since I hadn't browsed around in the 1000's lately.
It seems to be limited to Showtime content at the moment.
I'm guessing it's slightly different for everyone depending on hours of usage and the availability for DirecTV to push the shows to the receivers.

#4 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,370 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

I have seen other episodes of shows on Showtime the sameway, marked as downloaded. They were no where to be found on my DVR.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Jay Jones

Mark Jay Jones

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:52 AM

Episode 8 is that way for me too (but not #7). Weird.

That is odd.

I normally keep my HR21 with at least 30-40% free space, so maybe DirecTV is using the available space to autodownload stuff. Sort of the same idea that the DirecTV Tivo's used available space to record suggestions automatically.

I wonder if these downloads are going into free space on the drive or the reserved area that the "Movies Now" go into?
DirecTV subscriber (continuously) since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

I wonder if these downloads are going into free space on the drive or the reserved area that the "Movies Now" go into?

I'm pretty sure they are going into the reserved space with the movies, which I've read is as much as 100GB (depending on the model). I'm not sure why they've chosen to not have a folder for them, but maybe they are still sorting that all out. More likely scenario: the movies get a folder to keep reminding you about them since they are a money maker for DirecTV. There's no incentive for them to let you know the Showtime programs are on there, but if you are already going to channel 1537 you will get the bonus of it taking less time to start watching the most recent episodes.

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,983 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:30 AM

its probably being pushed to movies now for promotional purposes

#8 OFFLINE   kryscio23

kryscio23

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

Don't complain, just watch :) Billie Piper is one in a million :)

#9 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,224 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:13 AM

I've seen this on both my HR's with the new season of the Tudors. I can't find it in the "list" or in "Top Movies". I wouldn't have known it was there unless I did a keyword search for the Tudors.

The neat thing about this is I'm getting the newest episode a week before it airs on Showtime. I just think that there should be somthing to let you know it's there or put it in "Top Movies".

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

Yes, I also saw it with the Tudors when I was looking this past weekend.

The only way I noticed was because my wife asked me why some of the Tudors episodes in the DOD list had green check marks by them. They're not in the list and they're not in movies now, but if you select one, it doesn't say "add to queue", just "watch now" and if you start it, it's all there immediately.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#11 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,224 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, I think anything with a green check by it means it's ready to play.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

spam firewall