Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

new member intoduction

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jwmojo

jwmojo

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:38 PM

Hello to all. I have just registered so I could read and use the forum exchanges to learn from some experienced signal capturers. A little background and then a couple of questions.

I own a Hitachi 43" HDTV and have a decent receiver and sound system and my wife and I currently enjoy DVD's rentals. I like the decision to make the early (almost 2 years) investment despite limitations of just DVD viewing. I live in the Albany, NY area and the region is just now getting on board with local broadcasting of digital signals. I am patiently waiting for the locals to become available so I can dump cable and go the dish for full-time signal reception. In the meantime, I have learned that the Channel Master 4228 is an excellent source of local signal reception that can be used to capture HDTV broadcasts. First question: Is the information I have with respect to the 4228 accurate and are there people using it that are dissatisfied for any reasons? Second question involves more background. I live in an area that is within 25 miles of all local broadcast towers, but my home is situated in a cubicle shape property plot surrounded by tall trees. I know I have a clear line to the satellite (for future consideration), but I don't know how well local reception can be made with the trees that kind of box me in like a canyon. Any suggestions or advice as to what to expect or what I can do to enhance local antenna reception?

Sorry for the long run on post, but thanks in advance for any help and I hope to be able to contribute back at some point when my personal experience is worth sharing.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Frapp

Frapp

Icon

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 07:26 PM

Sounds like you have done your homework :)

BTW, although I am not a moderator, welcome to DBSTALK :wave:

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 07:27 PM

I am not a moderator either but they pay me to beat the drum to welcome new members.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:05 AM

jwmojo, welcome to DBSTalk! :hi:

Trees can definitely be a problem to television recepition, especially when the transmissions are low power. I don't know what stations are broadcasting at what power in your area, but once they get on the air at full power, you probably won't have a problem with trees. And also, very likely, once they are on the air at full power, you'll probably be able to pick up the signals just fine with an indoor antenna.

The CM 4228 is an excellent antenna. It's not the one that I use, but my situation is a little different than yours. I've never heard of anyone NOT happy with their 4228 here or at AVSForums. So, undoubtably, it'd be a good choice.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   jwmojo

jwmojo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:56 AM

for the welcome and for the advice (Mark). I do not know what the power of the local station transmitters will be and can't really gage the impact of the trees other than knowing that I had a standard multi-directional antenna mounted at rooftop one time and managed to get pretty good reception from three of six stations in the area.

As for an indoor antenna??? If I have aluminum heating ducts in the walls of my two-story home, does that not become a prohibitive factor in clear reception via an indoor model?

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:10 AM

I have no idea if aluminum heating ducts will affect your reception, honestly. But, I'd be willing to bet from 25 miles away with only trees in the way, you'd get good reception with an indoor antenna if the stations are broadcasting at full power (1000kW).
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:57 AM

Hi jwmojo and welcome to DBSTalk! :hi:

First go to this site and enter your address:

http://www.antennawe.../aw/address.asp

After clicking "View Street Level Map", it will give you info about where the transmitting towers are in relation to where you live.

Second, if you have broadcast stations in different directions, I highly recommend getting a uni-directional antenna and installing a rotator as seen in this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...?threadid=11897

Even through trees, you will have a much better chance on getting decent reception for digital broadcasts. I find that having a rotator makes it much easier to peak reception to its fullest.

Good luck and again welcome!

#8 OFFLINE   jwmojo

jwmojo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 03:53 PM

Chris Blount: Thanks greatly for both your personal welcome and for the links to the antenna type and directional information. I have ordered the Channel Master 4228 and should receive it later this week.

I'll keep a watchful eye on things here to see what people are talking about.

Thanks again!

spam firewall