Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody need some speakers?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

I once got the contract to design and install the sound system for an IMax theater in the Minneapolis area. I used a quatity of 7 JBL 4435 studio monitors and 6 custom JBL loaded 18" subwoofers. The sound was QUITE good. The 44 series was the replacement for the 43 series. My front speakers in my HT system are JBL 4430's.

http://www.thevintag...35/JBL4435.html http://www.audioheri...jbl/4430-35.htm

Which IMAX is that? Valleyfair, Science Museum (this one is friggin insane), Minnesota Zoo?

Just curious ;)
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

That was Valleyfair. I designed the system that they used when it was first built. I don't know if they have changed anything since back then. I believe it was the only IMax theater sound system designed out of IMax control up to that time. The IMax whigs liked it very much when they came out to check it out. I've got some pix of it around here somewhere. When I get some time I'll scan them and upload.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#23 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

Some Pix
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

Great pics! Thanks for posting; they should be on a website somewhere (aside from here), so that folks interested in IMax could see them.

I always enjoy seeing the "behind the scenes", especially when it comes to audio/video gear.

#25 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:36 AM

We talked about my all A/D/S speaker setup in the vinyl thread a while back, Richard. And the Nakamichi ZX-9 and Denon DP-72L 'table, and Belles Research amp and preamp that I bought on accomodation back in the day. Man, it helps to work amongst your toys! I still have all of 'em!

Ah, yes. YOu hit upon my method of picking up all this good stuff when I was in the business. The 4430's are actually my second pair. I bought a pair, used them for a year, sold them at a profit and bought another pair. My boss made me stop doing that though. :( My rear speakers were purchased at the CES show years ago as part of an opening order for Monitor Audio. THOSE things sound great and would be a fantastic front speaker in an HT system. Of course, with the JBL's I need no subwoofer.

#26 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

Great pics! Thanks for posting; they should be on a website somewhere (aside from here), so that folks interested in IMax could see them.

I always enjoy seeing the "behind the scenes", especially when it comes to audio/video gear.

That was one of the fun projects that got alot of public notice at the time. ;)

#27 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

Try here: http://www.pbase.com...g401/valleyfair

#28 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

Awesome pics Richard!!!

#29 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

Posted Image

it's crooked:D

#30 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:22 AM

it's crooked:D

Who's crooked? ;)

#31 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Very cool pictures Richard, I have never been to the one at Valleyfair, but have passed by it many times ;)

I love seeing behind the scenes!

Amazing the difference between that and the one at the Science Museum downtown which is very new (also an Omni vs. regular IMAX)...quite a difference in technology over the years!

Edited by Grentz, 21 March 2009 - 11:30 AM.

-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#32 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

Who's crooked? ;)

The screen, it looks a bit low on the right side.

#33 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

Optical Illusion

#34 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

The screen, it looks a bit low on the right side.

Nah, I used a level to install it. It's straight. I suspect it's because of the camera location that it looks that way. ;)

#35 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

Very cool pictures Richard, I have never been to the one at Valleyfair, but have passed by it many times ;)

I love seeing behind the scenes!

Amazing the difference between that and the one at the Science Museum downtown which is very new (also an Omni vs. regular IMAX)...quite a difference in technology over the years!

I have been to the Science Museum several times and enjoyed the shows there, but, it appears that they have moved to a new location since I visited. I guess the new place has a "convertable screen" that can be used as a dome or a flat screen. Sounds interesting to me. I'll have to visit the next time I head in that direction. If I recall correctly, the old science museum IMax screen actually predates the one at Valleyfair, but the old one was a fixed dome screen.

#36 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

That was Valleyfair. I designed the system that they used when it was first built. I don't know if they have changed anything since back then. I believe it was the only IMax theater sound system designed out of IMax control up to that time. The IMax whigs liked it very much when they came out to check it out. I've got some pix of it around here somewhere. When I get some time I'll scan them and upload.

I went to that IMax back in the mid-80's. I don't remember what we saw, but I'm pretty sure it was my first time at an IMax. Maybe some kind of river rafting adventure, or at least that was part of it.

#37 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

The first film shown there was "To Fly" http://www.bigmoviez...ex.html?uniq=72 A couple of people actually got sick in the place during the film. :barf: They say that this was partially due to the change in temperature going from a HOT Minnesota afternoon to a VERY air conditioned auditorium and the disorientation caused by the motion in the film.

#38 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

I have been to the Science Museum several times and enjoyed the shows there, but, it appears that they have moved to a new location since I visited. I guess the new place has a "convertable screen" that can be used as a dome or a flat screen. Sounds interesting to me. I'll have to visit the next time I head in that direction. If I recall correctly, the old science museum IMax screen actually predates the one at Valleyfair, but the old one was a fixed dome screen.

Yup, the new one is very neat, the omni dome comes down like a helmet visor over the audience (and covers the standard projection screen). Amazing to see.

They also have a nice intro that shows off some of the technology, and after or before the show you can of course go and see the projection room like most science museums do with their imax theaters.
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#39 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

The first film shown there was "To Fly" http://www.bigmoviez...ex.html?uniq=72 A couple of people actually got sick in the place during the film. :barf: They say that this was partially due to the change in temperature going from a HOT Minnesota afternoon to a VERY air conditioned auditorium and the disorientation caused by the motion in the film.

"To Fly" was the first IMax I ever saw, and it was absolutely amazing. It was about 1980 at the then-Marriott's "Great America" theme park in Santa Clara, CA. At the time, it was the only IMax in California, and only 2nd or 3rd in the world.

I'd love to see it again sometime.

#40 OFFLINE   mutelight

mutelight

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:29 AM

Those are mere babies compared to the Polk SDA SRS models from the late 80's, early 90's. At the time, some of the best speakers I had ever heard.

Yeah, I was going to mention the Polk SDAs.

Posted Image
HR22-100 50" Panasonic V10 Plasma 1080p (networked)
HR22-100 108" Panasonic AE4000 1080p (networked)
H21-100 65" Panasonic VT30 (networked)

Sirius Stiletto 2 (Premium Web)
..::Main Theater Room Pictures::..

spam firewall