Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netflix

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SD493

SD493

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

The content available on DOD at this time is a little underwhelming. I know it's just getting started and, hopefully, additonal content providers will be added. What are the chances that D* will partner with Netflix to offer their downloadable content to Netflix subscribers via DOD?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Can already be done with PlayOn: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=146003

Amazon VOD, Hulu and more as well.

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,416 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

Can already be done with PlayOn [...]

Agree, but the experience might not be optimal. E.g., PlayOn PQ may be inferior to DOD, and unlike with other DOD titles, there's no trickplay available... except pause. /steve
/steve

#4 OFFLINE   SD493

SD493

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

Can already be done with PlayOn: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=146003

Thanks. I downloaded the PlayOn software and installed it. I checked my HR20 menu and it was there. I watched a movie from Netflix. Worked great. The very limited functionality of the software is a drawback, but, overall, it's cool.

#5 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

Thanks. I downloaded the PlayOn software and installed it. I checked my HR20 menu and it was there. I watched a movie from Netflix. Worked great. The very limited functionality of the software is a drawback, but, overall, it's cool.

Glad it worked for you. Yea, it's not as good as a built in client but it's good enough for me. :)

#6 OFFLINE   SD493

SD493

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

Glad it worked for you. Yea, it's not as good as a built in client but it's good enough for me. :)

I think I'm going to order a Roku. The Playon software is $40 and the Roku is $99. With the Roku I'm able to rewind, skip forward, etc. as well as have access to HD content.

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

I think I'm going to order a Roku. The Playon software is $40 and the Roku is $99. With the Roku I'm able to rewind, skip forward, etc. as well as have access to HD content.

Sounds good. PlayOn rocks for us since it's available at every TV in the house since I have everything networked. I'm not buying a Roku box for every TV. ;) Plus PlayOn does a lot more then Netflix. We actually use it mostly for Hulu and CBS. I've only used it for Netflix once and that was only because finally a movie I would actually want to watch was available for streaming and I wanted to test it. Their stream selection sucks right now (for us anyway).

#8 OFFLINE   crasmus22

crasmus22

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:42 PM

The Roku is great. But be aware that the rewind, skip, forward, etc. is not like a DVR. You will have to rebuffer the stream each time. The Roku now has Amazon VOD and reportedly is to have 10 other channels by the end of year.

#9 OFFLINE   SD493

SD493

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

The Roku is great. But be aware that the rewind, skip, forward, etc. is not like a DVR. You will have to rebuffer the stream each time. The Roku now has Amazon VOD and reportedly is to have 10 other channels by the end of year.

Good to hear. I knew the Roku and streaming video wouldn't be just like a DVR. The biggest reason for the Roku was for Netflix instant plays. I've watched a few on my computer but miss seeing them on the plasma. My Roku should arrive Thursday. I'm looking forward to a new toy. (I guess this is a little off topic for D* VOD discussion).

spam firewall