Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM distances and amplification

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   easyrider

easyrider

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

A maiden post by a newbie with several questions.

The installer was out on Saturday, and it looks like with a some tree trimming, the dish will work as a pole mount, about 225' from the house. The install has been rescheduled for 2 weeks from now so that I can do the prep.

I'm planning to use 1.5" (1.9" od) rigid steel conduit (RSC) for my post - will the diameter be OK?

Moving on, what about the distance? Let's call it 225' to the house attic and power inserter, and then another 50' to the DVR/receiver (1 HD DVR, 2 other HD receivers). The dish will be a SL3-SWM LNB with built-in SWM, and I will bury quality flooded RG-6 with messenger from the dish to the house. I was thinking that b/c of the distance and voltage drop, that I should use the SWM-PI 29V power inserter rather than the PI-21 21V. Does this seem reasonable?

Will this sort of distance require amplification (like the Sonora LA141R)? If so, does it go at the dish or in the attic just before the PI? Of course, I'd rather avoid it all together, but if it is needed, then OK.

Finally, what about grounding? Do I need to ground at the post and at the house? If I need to ground at the post, can I just use the post (4' in ground) as a grounding rod? At the house, I will be a long way from the central ground and don't really have anything to bond to. Can I sink a 8' copper grounding rod, tie it to the grounding block and call it good?

Thanks in advance for your patience with my questions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

Few things:
- The ka/ku dish uses 2" OD. But I am sure 1.9 shouldn't be a problem.
- The SWM LNB can use the 29V PI so no worries on frying it.
- I'd go with the lowest setup. ie 21V and no amp and see if it works. Then add when things don't work. Start by adding 29V then amp.
- I've run solid copper for longer runs then that without amps so I thinh you'll be good.
- Ground at the house.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,914 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk easyrider. :welcome_s

Mertzen has pretty much covered it all.

Let us know how it goes. It'll be interesting to see how longer distances will workout.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   easyrider

easyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

OK guys - thanks for your input. I think that I have a plan now. I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of weeks.

#5 OFFLINE   lake 660

lake 660

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:01 AM

Belden cable salesman gave me these about 6 years ago.
RG 6
solid copper 305 ft
solid copper Quad 340 ft
copper clad 120 ft
RG 11
solid copper 621 ft
copper clad 220 ft

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:09 AM

I strongly recommend using a 2" OD pole (you can get the proper pipe at nearly any muffler shop), as the collar on the dish has a very small range of adjustment.

Also, you need to ground at the house, as near as you can to the house ground (at the power meter). Do not drop an additional ground rod unless you intend to back-bond it to the house ground with 6 gauge solid copper wire.

Definitely use solid copper center conductor cable to minimize DC voltage loss.

#7 OFFLINE   easyrider

easyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

This project is finally done and the results are good - I ended up with a 275' run of direct burial RG-6 between the swm and the power inserter, then probably another 50' or so to the receiver.

I trenched 225' or so by hand with a spade, just making a slit to shove the cable into the ground. On average, it's probably 5" deep. I might do this part differently if I had to do it again.

Thanks for your advice.

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

That's great. Thanks for sharing the results.

#9 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:44 AM

This project is finally done and the results are good - I ended up with a 275' run of direct burial RG-6 between the swm and the power inserter, then probably another 50' or so to the receiver.

I trenched 225' or so by hand with a spade, just making a slit to shove the cable into the ground. On average, it's probably 5" deep. I might do this part differently if I had to do it again.

Thanks for your advice.

in your area you might get rock "slices" during frost movement on unprotected cable.
just an fyi, soil might be ok for it.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...