Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions on my Home Theater

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

Regarding the PS/3 - You can't use an optical cable with the PS/3 if you are using an HDMI cable. You can, however, use an optical cable if you use a component video cable.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

Regarding the PS/3 - You can't use an optical cable with the PS/3 if you are using an HDMI cable. You can, however, use an optical cable if you use a component video cable.

Hmm, I'm using HDMI to my display and optical to my receiver with my PS3 just fine.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#23 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

Hmm, I'm using HDMI to my display and optical to my receiver with my PS3 just fine.

From the PS3 FAQ Master Thread at AVS

If your AVR doesn't have a HDMI input and it has optical audio inputs while your HDTV display has a HDMI input, connect your PS3 to your AVR with an optical digital audio (i.e., Toslink) cable, and connect your PS3 to your HDTV display with an HDMI cable.

#24 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

Yeah, it works, mine use to be hooked up like that.

#25 OFFLINE   ericazales

ericazales

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

is it the type of optical cable maybe?
HELLO :)

#26 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,354 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

Erica, welcome to DBSTalk -- it's great to have you aboard! :welcome_s

erica, you can buy an HDMI cable from monoprice.com that will give you the same exact quality picture that you have now for around $5...then go to www.monoprice.com and get the HDMI cables that you need...

Monoprice is good -- I've ordered from them in the past, but BlueJeansCable.com is one of the DBSTalk sponsors that financially supports this site, so you may want give them a look and compare prices, selection and service before buying.

Again, welcome to the board.

Edited by Nick, 17 March 2009 - 10:38 PM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#27 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

I thought monoprice was a sponsor too (or is that just at AVS)?

#28 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

From the PS3 FAQ Master Thread at AVS

If your AVR doesn't have a HDMI input and it has optical audio inputs while your HDTV display has a HDMI input, connect your PS3 to your AVR with an optical digital audio (i.e., Toslink) cable, and connect your PS3 to your HDTV display with an HDMI cable.

Funny: I had tried using HDMI to DVI cable and RCA Audio on my Sony 32" CRT receiver and Toslink to my AVR. As I recall, there was a problelm- no audio, but it may have been no audio on the RCA's. At any rate, I purchased the Sony Component video/audio cable and it works fine, along with Toslink to the AVR.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#29 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

BTW, for Cholly, you should never use the power outlets on your AVR for anything more than trivial low power devices, a sub, which could potentially draw high amperage should never be plugged directly into your avr. Those plugs are not rated for anything of substance, a simple dvd player or cdplayer, etc., is fine, but anything more than that is a no-no.

For Erica, I agree with all posts about returning the model Yamaha you bought and upgrading to a model that has full featured HDMI ports on it. Barring that, when you configure the PS3 for HDMI use, you have the choice of using both audio and video or just video, then you can also use the optical output for audio, which is the recommended setup for you current scenario. As far as connecting the optical cables to your Yamaha, usually the digital inputs are assignable to different functions, as in, it may be labelled as cd, or STB, etc, but you should be able to assign them to whatever function you want to use.

#30 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

BTW, for Cholly, you should never use the power outlets on your AVR for anything more than trivial low power devices, a sub, which could potentially draw high amperage should never be plugged directly into your avr. Those plugs are not rated for anything of substance, a simple dvd player or cdplayer, etc., is fine, but anything more than that is a no-no.

You are absolutely right! :eek2: I don't know what I was thinking of -- probably, when I moved down here some 3 years ago, I didn't pay too much attention to what I was doing, andwithout thinking of the power sensing of my sub, plugged it into the AC outlet on my AVR. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. To compound the error, I did some receiver shuffling a few weeks ago and simply hooked things up the way I'd done three years ago. :(
All fixed now!

Charlie
--------------------

#31 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

yea, he swore up and down I needed to buy these monster cable digital fiber optic cables

ANYTIME you hear the word "Monster" coming out of an audio salesperson's mouth it is for a commission. It is not to help the customer. Generally, although there are a few exceptions, anything audio with the Monster name attached is a ripoff.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...