Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sci Fi Channel changing name, logo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
94 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

Looks like Sci Fi Channel is changing its name to Syfy in June. And a reason for it, is they can't trademark Sci Fi. Must be from the same minds that created the Spike Channel.:)

Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

Looks like Sci Fi Channel is changing its name to Syfy in June. And a reason for it, is they can't trademark Sci Fi. Must be from the same minds that created the Spike Channel.:)

SyFy n. a genre mixing science-fiction with liberal doses of woo.

(Seriously, though, wouldn't "SyFy" be pronounced "Siff-ee" or "Sife-ee?")

-- Roger

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

Oh dear. Another assault on our language. "Sci-Fi" is a catchy little neologism but "syfy?" Unforgivable. We wonder why our children can't spell. I understand it... when every corporation is doing its best to make up words or mangle existing ones. Even I have gotten to the point where the word "singular" looks wrong. I keep thinking it should start with a "c."
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:33 AM

Of course what they don't say in the article is that it'll be easier to add more things like wrestling to their line-up by changing the name to something that's only sorta kinda identifying itself with a particular genre. Once again as we've seen so many times we find a channel that's gained a good core audience wanting to water-down it's niche-specific programming so it can become what mostly comes down to just another general interest channel. Sure you might get a little wider audience possibly (but with so many choices these days the pie is sliced so thin its hard to imagine you'll gain enough market share to really matter), but i'm not sure that's the smart business move anymore. The thought being bigger is always better so you always want more viewers no matter what, but in todays market maybe not-so-much really. After all if I was a network I actually think I might be in a better position if I could say I have 1 million dedicated viewers that tune into my channel no matter what because they love our genre and on top of that I know the demographics of that audience so advertisers will know who they're advertising to, really allow them to target the ads to cater to the audience. As opposed to say my channel has 2 million viewers on our most popular shows but they aren't necessarily loyal to our channel just the shows so the numbers fluctuate quite a bit and different groups watch different shows so it's hard to pinpoint what advertising is going to work best. Anyway just my 2 cents here.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#5 OFFLINE   solmakou

solmakou

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:49 AM

As soon as they drop wrestling and 6 hours of ghosts and goblins from their lineup I'll start watching again.

#6 OFFLINE   Talos4

Talos4

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:59 AM

As soon as they drop wrestling and 6 hours of ghosts and goblins from their lineup I'll start watching again.

Amen!!

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,602 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

Most folks will likely think the new name's a typo....:D

Spellcheckers - prepare for battle. :lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:26 AM

Once again as we've seen so many times we find a channel that's gained a good core audience wanting to water-down it's niche-specific programming so it can become what mostly comes down to just another general interest channel.

It does appear that is where this channel has been heading, and is still headed. I wish the advertisers would see the advantage of the niche-specific channels.

I also find it funny that the artical thought that shows like Eureka were a way that they were already moving away from that niche. Eureka may not be spaced based, but it hard to see how it is not science fiction.
DogLover

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

Mark my words: some day FedEx will become FEx (since FX is more or less already taken).

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

TVSquad.com has an image of the new logo, and I believe I have the best possible comment on the situation...

y?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

The SciFi channel's existence was what brought me to DirecTV. Then Georgia Cable (now part of Comcast) and I had a running argument over the channel. They claimed there was no room for it and I repeatedly expressed to them that if they would get rid of the 20 some odd shopping channels they would have room:lol:

DirecTV came along and that was it... they had SciFi. I told Georgia Cable to drop dead and I haven't been back since. That was 1994.

It is unfortunate that we have seen a weakening of this channel, a sign of the times I guess, I new we were headed for trouble when they put the so called "sport" of wrestling on it.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,292 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

Hibbard's original article included the image:

http://reporter.blog...a2daf970c-320wi

Unfortunately, I have no problem imagining "greater". But I do understand the desire to copyright protect.

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Wrestlng on Sci-fi?? Give me a break!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#14 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

Why in the world would they do this? The channel name defined it perfectly and there's no need to get all "cute" with the spelling.

It sounds like some higher-ups were getting bored and decided to make some changes.

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,292 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

This is what happens when "legal" is the decider....:rolleyes:

#16 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

Again,they're trying to fix something that is not broke.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#17 OFFLINE   DarkSkies

DarkSkies

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

How does the Science channel get away with it? Is their name and logo not trademarked?

Why couldn't SciFi change their name formally to SciFi-HD? Should be very easy to trademark that.

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

Much ado about nothing.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,292 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

Perhaps I should have said "legal" and "marketing" were the deciders. But they knew how we'd react. From the article:

Howe knows some fans will dislike the change and see Syfy as a rejection of the network's core viewership. More than most channels, Sci Fi has a intense relationship with its audience. Clashes are unavoidable to some degree when you combine a network making businesses-minded decisions with a genre that has the most passionate and outspoken fans around.

"Our core audience will use it an opportunity to question our motives -- they always do," Howe said. "But what we're embracing is the total sci-fi landscape -- fantasy, paranormal, action-adventure, mystery ... it's imagination-based entertainment."

#20 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:45 PM

Wow that's pretty lame, looks like some folks at NBC U have too much time on their hands. Looking at it, I'm surprised they didn't got with CyFi, Cyber Fiction bay-be! But as long as they still Twilight Zone marathons over long weekends thats all I really care about. I can't quite wrap my head around the trademark issue, the channel has been around over 15 years and this is just becomming a problem now?
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

spam firewall